Does anybody applied to Harvard MD/HST program????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anybody does, please, post here what the difference between MD/HST and MD...Also,
do they need a lot undegrad research for this program and so on...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The thing need badly is command english language. Good luck application!

Hey Taty,

I have not personally applied to the MD/HST program, but I know some people who are currently in and have graduated from the program. I would definitely recommend looking at the HST website (http://hst.mit.edu) and I'm sure you can get a lot of information about the requirements, the different programs, etc.

However, from the people I know in the program having a lot of research during your undergrad years is looked upon quite highly... The HST program in general is geared towards people who want to continue to do a lot of research (and there are different programs within HST, depending on your interests) and pursue medicine. The people I know are actually doing the MD/PhD program within HST. In general, it's a great program with great faculty (i have had the opportunity to take a couple of HST classes in my undergrad years) and if that's what you really want to do, i would say go for it! =-)

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by dynamic02:
•Hey Taty,

I have not personally applied to the MD/HST program, but I know some people who are currently in and have graduated from the program. I would definitely recommend looking at the HST website (http://hst.mit.edu) and I'm sure you can get a lot of information about the requirements, the different programs, etc.

However, from the people I know in the program having a lot of research during your undergrad years is looked upon quite highly... The HST program in general is geared towards people who want to continue to do a lot of research (and there are different programs within HST, depending on your interests) and pursue medicine. The people I know are actually doing the MD/PhD program within HST. In general, it's a great program with great faculty (i have had the opportunity to take a couple of HST classes in my undergrad years) and if that's what you really want to do, i would say go for it! =-)

Hope this helps!•••••Thanks for the web-site!!! I like MD/Medical Informatics thing.

Hey,
About the HST program, from what I learned during my interview, the curriculum is traditional as opposed to the PBL approach in the regular New pathways MD program, and your first two years are at MIT...so you are separated from the New pathways students. Being that its a traditional curriculum, classes are from 8-5 typically. Personally I loved the New pathways curriculum, but I guess it depends whether you are a fan of the traditional curriculum approach or PBL style. The New pathways students i met were very kick back and seemed to be having tons of fun...

just my two cents

•••quote:•••Originally posted by UCSFallthway:
•Hey,
About the HST program, from what I learned during my interview, the curriculum is traditional as opposed to the PBL approach in the regular New pathways MD program, and your first two years are at MIT...so you are separated from the New pathways students. •••••I think HST students do have quite a few classes at Longwood during the first two years. They don't spend all their time at MIT. But yeah, they still seem to be pretty separated from the NP people.

good luck taty, but you should work on your grammar (at LEAST) if you plan to be THAT successful.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by A. Caveman:
•good luck taty, but you should work on your grammar (at LEAST) if you plan to be THAT successful.•••••Hey, i am working on it...I came to the US 2 years ago...and did not know English, I have almost one year to improve my language skills, thanks.

Hey Taty:

My best friend from high school is a third year in the Harvard/HST program. She did a ton of research before she went to medical school, completing a Ph.D. in England in Pathology prior to starting school. She had completed a lot of research as an undergrad, and when we were in high school she was always spending summers in research programs. She has given me the impression that they have more class time in the first two years, as someone mentioned before. She has also given me the impression that the students are very competitive, stating that when they took their boards, she was sick of hearing about how many standard deviations above the mean everyone thought they did or whatever. But I know she's happy she did the program and has really been enjoying her rotations, especially surgery. So, sorry for the length but this is what I know. Good luck!

Another nice thing about HST is that you can get paid substantially while doing research for your thesis.