Does anybody know anything about the AUB?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sefowa04

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the American University of Beirut's medical school and whether they readily accept people from other countries? I went to their website and found it to be confusing and vague, so any help would be greatly appreciated :oops: .

Members don't see this ad.

Sefowa04 said:
Does anyone know anything about the American University of Beirut's medical school and whether they readily accept people from other countries? I went to their website and found it to be confusing and vague, so any help would be greatly appreciated :oops: .

Hi there,

I *think* they have a preference for people who are of Lebanese descent (and therefore hold said citizenship) AND who are also residing in Lebanon. Are you in Lebanon? Have you lived there at one point or do you have any ties to the place? Do you have a Lebanese citizenship or have any family members that do? Are you from the Middle East and/or living there? Also, do you speak/read/write Arabic fluently? Did you attend AUB for undergrad or for some other degree? I think these are things that would probably help you out... And yes I know their website is rather difficult to navigate but here is the link to the application form:

http://wwwlb.aub.edu.lb/~webadmit/applications/applications.html

Just so you are forewarned, they take a while to download – I had to download them a few times because my computer would freeze up on me because the files are so huge and take up quite a bit of memory… On the application form they do state that “All applicants are considered on the basis of their qualifications regardless of race, color, sex, disability, religion, age, national or ethnic origin.” However, in their statement of purpose (in the application cover), they state: “The purpose of the American University of Beirut (AUB) as an institution of higher learning is to share in the education of the youth of the Middle East, in the service of its peoples, and in the advancement of knowledge” which is why the questions I asked above are probably relevant.

In any case, if you're really curious, you could always get in touch with them – here’s their contact information:

Contact for Information

Office of Admissions
American University of Beirut
P.O.Box: 11-0236
Riad El Solh, Beirut 1107 2020
Lebanon

E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: (961)1 374374, ext 2585,90,96
Fax: (961)1 750775

Also, I'm sure if you're competitive (what is your GPA and MCAT?), they would give you a second look. I hope this helps and best of luck to you! :luck: :luck:

Monette

I heard that the AUB School of Medicine is highly reputable. However, their catalogue says that most students in the program do their undergraduate there on the B.S/MD track. They take non AUB grads but must have very high credentials. I'm applying and would love to live in Beirut, but it all depends on how politically stable it is a yr from now. I'd rather do Medical School in an arab country than any off-shore US MD School, so AUB would definately be a top choice.
Anyone heard how hard is it to get into Cornell Qatar? Is it as competitive as US Cornell?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump...

Despite current events in Lebanon, I've been thinking about this school. Could anyone share more info on how they treat international students? (Particularly those from the US)...

Hi, I am from Lebanon and studying at LAU

For AUB, it is extremely difficult to get accepted into their medical school if you aren't an AUB student. every year they enroll 85 students from which they only admit 5 students outside AUB
So you will have chances only if your GPA is above 3.8-3.9 and you scored 12-12 on P and B sciences on MCAT