Does anyone else feel that the new mcat will be unfair to......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakhter

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
the first class that has to take it. I have decided to take the new mcat when I am junior. Basically all the information and feedback I can research is only for the soon to be "old mcat". So I have no idea really what to expect because my class will be the first to take it. How could kaplan and Princeton help you prepare for it if they can't compare and contrast. Who knows though this could end up as an advantage for me somehow :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Same here. I think an even 36R(12 12 12) will match to an even 48(12 12 12 12) considering similar difficulty which leaves a 12 point range. A well balanced score would look good no matter which you use as a criteria.

I think AAMC is going to provide some practice materials for it, but I can't testify to how effective those tools would be. I would hope that they'd make some practice tests.

Edit: I think I might be mistaken with that preview guide on their site. It has some practice questions on it, but not a large amount. Either way, I'm taking the 2013 MCAT so I hopefully won't be dealing with it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
yeah but everyone applying that year will be in the same boat.. If I was going to be one of those people I'd want to take it early enough in the year to have time for a retake. and Im sure AAMC will have to come out with some practice tests that will be similar to what the new test will be.

the first class that has to take it. I have decided to take the new mcat when i am junior. Basically all the information and feedback i can research is only for the soon to be "old mcat". So i have no idea really what to expect because my class will be the first to take it. How could kaplan and princeton help you prepare for it if they can't compare and contrast. Who knows though this could end up as an advantage for me somehow :laugh:

q_q

I think it'd be good if they gave an option for the first or second test during the initial 1-3 years of the new test.

I forgot to mention that the writing section is gone which is a plus for me :)

the purpose of a standardized test is to have something to compare everyone by when they're in the same position, same conditions, same test. it'll be a learning experience for everyone that year, applicants and med schools alike when they begin reviewing apps. but I don't think it'll be unfair

I think it'd be good if they gave an option for the first or second test during the initial 1-3 years of the new test.

That seems like a good idea at first but that'll make the old testers paranoid. Their state of mind will be that med schools will think they are trying to dodge the new test.

yeah but everyone applying that year will be in the same boat.. If I was going to be one of those people I'd want to take it early enough in the year to have time for a retake. and Im sure AAMC will have to come out with some practice tests that will be similar to what the new test will be.

That's not necessarily true. MCATs are valid for 3 years, so people who took the MCAT this year could still apply with it.

That's not necessarily true. MCATs are valid for 3 years, so people who took the MCAT this year could still apply with it.

They'll probably still put out a list of topics. You learn those topics and you're in the same boat as anyone else who has ever taken the MCAT.

Okay this is true.^^ I hadn't thought of reapplicants/people who took the mcat earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should be fair for the first group taking the 2015 version...

Historically, the scale is predetermined via past results with the questions as "experimentals". I think the AAMC is testing material now for the 2015 version... I remember a crazzzzy biochem passage on my admin.

That said, if they don't test the material as experimental (kind of hard to subtly include statistics as an experimental in the current exam), then perhaps they will do a scaling after the results are in.

Either way, there are 3 groups of people that score +90% on the mcat:

a) the genius tester that preps very little, but dominates regardless
b) the obsessive tester that preps the hell out of everything and, as a result, does well
c) the lucky SOB tester (i.e. people like the poster that said he was averaging 29 then pull a 37 on the real thing)

These three groups will still be in the +90% on the 2015 version. Be in one of them.

Last edited:

Historically, the scale is predetermined via past results with the questions as "experimentals". I think the AAMC is testing material now for the 2015 version... I remember a crazzzzy biochem passage on my admin.

That said, if they don't test the material as experimental (kind of hard to subtly include statistics in current exam), then perhaps they will do a scaling after the results are in.

Either way, the people that score +90% on the mcat are going to do so one way or another.

Wait there's going to be statistics in the new mcat? :bang:

That said, if they don't test the material as experimental (kind of hard to subtly include statistics as an experimental in the current exam), then perhaps they will do a scaling after the results are in.

b) the obsessive tester that preps the hell out of everything and, as a result, does well
c) the lucky SOB tester (i.e. people like the poster that said he was averaging 29 then pull a 37 on the real thing)

These three groups will still be in the +90% on the 2015 version. Be in one of them.

A) genius brain transplant scheduled for next Tuesday? Check :thumbup:
B) Memorize every Wikipedia article (+sources), go through every review book printed over the past 10 years? Check :thumbup:
C) Eat Lucky Charms for breakfast, every morning, for three years; while showering in bird poop and professionally chasing rainbows? Check:thumbup:

Looks like I am good to go. ̶C̶o̶l̶u̶m̶b̶i̶a̶ Ross, here I come!

If the bolded is true suddenly a lot of things about the bio section of the MCAT make a lot more sense. Like the new focus on biochem and the verbal-esque passages that have people so worked up. It would also explain why people get near suicidal after taking the MCAT because they think they bombed BS, only to find out they got a 13+ on the section when scores are released.

As for the part I put in italics, AAMC has already announced that they'll be testing the new 2015 sections in an explicit and optional experimental section starting with the 2013 MCAT, so I imagine that's where the material that can't be slipped into the current test will go, assuming any of the 2015 material is showing up on the current test.

Anyway, as for OP's question, while it's true that you'll be going in blind in 2015, it's also true that everyone will be going in blind. As a result, the curve will be more forgiving than it has in past years. In fact, this can be extremely beneficial to you if you're strong in all the new areas that are going to be on the 2015 MCAT since you'll be both well versed in the material AND have the benefit of a curve that assumes everyone is going to perform worse than usual.

I don't understand. I plan to take my MCATs January 2013 to apply for the school year starting Fall 2014, the only difference between that MCAT and the current one is that they're dropping the writing section, right?

The new MCAT (w/ biochem, psych, etc.) debuts 2015, if I'm recalling correctly.

Do you guys think that the old MCAT prep materials will be at all useful to help study for the 2015 version?

A) genius brain transplant scheduled for next Tuesday? Check :thumbup:
B) Memorize every Wikipedia article (+sources), go through every review book printed over the past 10 years? Check :thumbup:
C) Eat Lucky Charms for breakfast, every morning, for three years; while showering in bird poop and professionally chasing rainbows? Check:thumbup:

Looks like I am good to go. Columbia Ross, here I come!

Hahaha nice post man.

I don't understand. I plan to take my MCATs January 2013 to apply for the school year starting Fall 2014, the only difference between that MCAT and the current one is that they're dropping the writing section, right?

The new MCAT (w/ biochem, psych, etc.) debuts 2015, if I'm recalling correctly.

Yep, you are correct. I am also planning on taking the MCAT in January to apply for 2014. Twinsies!

As one of the last people to take the MCAT back when it was pencil and paper before it went electronic I had the same concerns.

In the end it likely will help someone and hurt some people. If you do well on the new section it can only help. If you do bad then schools will probably take the 4th score with a bit of skepticism. For the first few years I bet most schools will still only care about the first 3 blocks.

Overall I think adding some psych and social sciences in place of a writing score is a great idea.

This is a very important topic for all future MCAT takers. It epitomizes a specific mentality that is evoked by the beast we call "MCAT" . . .The MCAT uses this mentality to smother us into failure. This is not an accusation as I suffered from this mentality as well and constantly fought it off until I got my test score back the second time. It even trickled back now and then through interviews until my acceptance came in. The MCAT is especially good at targeting this weakness.

The MCAT knows that all of us, the uncertain, nervous and freaked out pre-meds, have an Achilles heal called our sense of injustice. If you allow a "grass is greener" mentality to consume you you will be destroyed by The MCAT. The MCAT is a clever foe that tricks you into thinking it is all about knowledge and study hours when it is equally about avoiding the complete and total mind-f*#& that The MCAT delivers. Find your zone, accept the challenge, kill The MCAT.

My advice:
IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU STOP NOTICING THAT THINGS ARE UNFAIR.
IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU STOP THINKING OTHERS HAVE IT EASY.
IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU ACCEPT THAT THE MCAT IS A S*#% WH*#*# A$% F@%( D(#% FACE AND MOVE ONE.
Once I made peace with the MCAT I was able to study like a demon (group 2 by Blais's categorization). Once I stopped feeling sorry for myself I had more energy to move forward. Once I stopped being angry at the power that The MCAT had over my applicant profile I began to tango with my enemy. I learned the moves of the dance. I started to join the performance. . . .and suddenly, it became sooooo clear. Suddenly I could focus on one question at a time, one passage at a time and stop worrying about the "significance" of the test. My brain had been losing energy and strength to The MCAT's mind-f*#%. Injustice is our kryptonite.

History majors think it is unfair that bio majors have it so easy on the BS section.
Bio majors think that history majors are so lucky to breeze through verbal and writing.
Old students think traditional students are lucky to have a study network and that they know what they want so early.
Traditional students think it's unfair that nontrads get to to focus 100% on the MCAT while they are still in school and that non-trads have an edge for being different.
Poor students think the rich kids are lucky to afford prep classes and to never have any worries.
Rich kids think that poor students get advantages for overcoming obstacles and that they get in with lower scores since they struggled.
All of the Above Statements Are False.

If You Have Thoughts Like Those Above You Are Wasting Valuable Brain Power.

No One Has It Easier. Everyone Has Their Own ****.
Think Like This. Study Like Crazy. Defeat The MCAT.

Last edited:

This as well.

Life is not fair OP. Learn that now and it makes it easier to take it when it slaps you in the face repeatedly for the rest of your existence.

This is a very important topic for all future MCAT takers. It epitomizes a specific mentality that is evoked by the beast we call "MCAT" . . .The MCAT uses this mentality to smother us into failure. This is not an accusation as I suffered from this mentality as well and constantly fought it off until I got my test score back the second time. It even trickled back now and then through interviews until my acceptance came in. The MCAT is especially good at targeting this weakness.

The MCAT knows that all of us, the uncertain, nervous and freaked out pre-meds, have an Achilles heal called our sense of injustice. If you allow a "grass is greener" mentality to consume you you will be destroyed by The MCAT. The MCAT is a clever foe that tricks you into thinking it is all about knowledge and study hours when it is equally about avoiding the complete and total mind-f*#& that The MCAT delivers. Find your zone, accept the challenge, kill The MCAT.

My advice:
IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU ACCEPT THAT THE MCAT IS A S*#% WH*#*# A$% F@%( D(#% FACE AND MOVE ONE.
Once I made peace with the MCAT I was able to study like a demon (group 2 by Blais's categorization). Once I stopped feeling sorry for myself I had more energy to move forward. Once I stopped being angry at the power that The MCAT had over my applicant profile I began to tango with my enemy. I learned the moves of the dance. I started to join the performance. . . .and suddenly, it became sooooo clear. Suddenly I could focus on one question at a time, one passage at a time and stop worrying about the "significance" of the test. My brain had been losing energy and strength to The MCAT's mind-f*#%. Injustice is our kryptonite.

History majors think it is unfair that bio majors have it so easy on the BS section.
Bio majors think that history majors are so lucky to breeze through verbal and writing.
Old students think traditional students are lucky to have a study network and that they know what they want so early.
Traditional students think it's unfair that nontrads get to to focus 100% on the MCAT while they are still in school and that non-trads have an edge for being different.
Poor students think the rich kids are lucky to afford prep classes and to never have any worries.
Rich kids think that poor students get advantages for overcoming obstacles and that they get in with lower scores since they struggled.

You...... you are incredible :claps:

My advice:

great post dawg:love: