Does anyone else get crazy ideas like this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tBw

totally deluded
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I was sitting daydreaming about what schools I would apply to this coming year and I suddenly had this panic that I would be too late to get an acceptance as I am planning taking the MCAT in August.

So in a fit of over-zealousness I decided that "no problem...as well as working 50 hours a week, volunteering, having a life, doing Bio II + lab and Gen Chem + lab next semester...I will just teach MYSELF 2 semesters of organic chemistry from a book, and prepare for the April MCAT instead!!"

Brilliant! Genius!! Today I sat down with an organic chemistry book. I've been reading it for 3 hours and I've just thrown it down. Am I insane!?!?? What am I thinking!? My regular courses will take every weekday evening till 10:30pm already and I think I can just teach myself organic, a notoriusly hard subject, and prepare for the MCAT?

Well, I've come to my senses (the delusion only lasted 4 hours) but give me credit for believing in myself..and thank goodness I know how to laugh at myself too!!

Am I the only one that has these crazy sequences of - panic/crazy-solution/reality-check/laugh..till next time (I give myself 3 or so months till I have another crazy idea...)

sigh...having the MCAT out of the way in April was a nice fantasy while it lasted

:)

onwis

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by oldernotwiser:
•Well, I was sitting daydreaming about what schools I would apply to this coming year and I suddenly had this panic that I would be too late to get an acceptance as I am planning taking the MCAT in August.

So in a fit of over-zealousness I decided that "no problem...as well as working 50 hours a week, volunteering, having a life, doing Bio II + lab and Gen Chem + lab next semester...I will just teach MYSELF 2 semesters of organic chemistry from a book, and prepare for the April MCAT instead!!"

Brilliant! Genius!! Today I sat down with an organic chemistry book. I've been reading it for 3 hours and I've just thrown it down. Am I insane!?!?? What am I thinking!? My regular courses will take every weekday evening till 10:30pm already and I think I can just teach myself organic, a notoriusly hard subject, and prepare for the MCAT?

Well, I've come to my senses (the delusion only lasted 4 hours) but give me credit for believing in myself..and thank goodness I know how to laugh at myself too!!

Am I the only one that has these crazy sequences of - panic/crazy-solution/reality-check/laugh..till next time (I give myself 3 or so months till I have another crazy idea...)

sigh...having the MCAT out of the way in April was a nice fantasy while it lasted

:)

onwis•

believe me those "I-can-do-anything-if-i-put-my-mind-to-it schemes work Horribly"

one quarter...I felt I could take 16 units at my enrolled school and take another 12 units of fun "piano, graphic design, etc" classes at night at a local community college.....and have a job and research position...things were going well UNTIL close to finals week where I got screwed big time! got a C inone of he courses, dropped my GPA like a bomb! and withdrew in a class

needless to say, didn't look impressive that I coudl handle 28 units at once! cuz I couldn't! you can't either...it has rarely happened...and the worst thing is that you burn urself out towards the end, and u get sick with life...

i think a lot of premed are overzealous idealistics overachievers...we really have to put our foot down when we cross the line from reality to insanity!

take it easy...worst comes to worst take another year before u take mcat or apply to medical schoooll....believe me ur young...u have nothing to lose! :D

Well, actually, I know someone who managed to self study o-chem while having two part-time jobs. (one research, one volunteer) He ended up with a 13 in bio. But you're right, there's no way with a 50 hours a week job and two classes!