Does anyone else out there want to practice prison medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bugger

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just trying to make contact with other people who are interested in practicing medicine within correctional facilities.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

not interested but. . ..

My dad said when he was a medical student they used to practice plastic surgery on inmates.

Yeah, until the late 80's inmates througout the country were being used for drug experimentations, etc. The army used them to test out psychedelics, possibly LSD. The U of Penn had huge prison experiemnts going on..mostly through the dermatology department. They were doing some illegal and nasty stuff to people inside the prisons.

Actually, the UT system which is in charge of prison health care for the state of Texas was running experiemnts until 2000. They had to shut down half of them b/c of improper procedures/protocols. I don't know if they are still running the experiements to date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi bugger,

I currently work in correctional health (outside of correctional facilities, doing research). Having been exposed to health care in the correctional setting, I have thought about practicing (especially with the influence of corrections docs that I've met while working) or at least looking into getting some more exposure during medical school. :)

Feel free to PM me.

Best,
H&T

I'm interested. I have a close family member in prison, and the avaliability of health care is apalling, especially for women who generally require more preventative measures. I'm not sure if I could handle the frustration of trying to care for patients with both hands tied behind my back, as opposed to only one tied behind my back by HMOs and insurance companies in the private sector. It would be a constant losing battle trying to secure even the most crude base level of care for a population considered to be subhuman by many Americans. We would have to be not only doctors, but also activists lobbying an uncaring and unhearing legislature for reforms that will never come. But yeah, I'm interested.

Yeah, it is going to be an uphill battle working within the prison. BUT, at least we are not incarcerated. That is where I get my source of strength. I have met women, who have been through it all, and still see things in a postive light. Don't get me wrong, they know that the systm if Fu#ked up, but they still maintain. And, it is possible to make a difference inside. I have heard first hand-accounts of how a doctor was able to help. Albeit they are far and few.

I just submitted my app on Friday, I wish that I had applied to U of Pitt. :)

Prison medicine has definitely crossed my mind. The subject of prison healthcare has always been an interest of mine in the ethical sense at the very least. My only experience with the prison system is through reading and the show Oz, so I would definitely need to learn more.

Oz was a good show that exposed some things, but it also glamourized some parts of it (kinda like how ER shows medicine). I also have very closely related incarcerated family members, and working in corrections, I've learned a lot about how frustrating working in this arena can truly be. Many jail/prison docs are Medicine physicians trained in Infectious Disease. I've met many who absolutely love their work, and I think with more exposure to the day to day, you'll definitely find nit to be a very interesting environment to work in as well.

If you work in a prison, does your name potentially come up to administer lethal injectons?

bkmonkey said:
If you work in a prison, does your name potentially come up to administer lethal injectons?

I hope not. I would think that the doctors would have to volunteer for something like that.

Some states require the presence of medical professionals (esp. if the inmate's veins are hard to locate or more drugs need to be ordered in ordered) to witness the execution, and others may contract out to get physicians to specifically fill that purpose. I read in this British Medical Journal article that US medical associations (e.g., AMA) have guidelines against participation in executions, but most doctors aren't aware of this...
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/325/7371/1026

dsblaha said:
not interested but. . ..

My dad said when he was a medical student they used to practice plastic surgery on inmates.

Do prisoners get a lot of nose jobs, or is it lipo? :laugh: