delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrostopherhenandex

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I feel like my reports (autism, psychoeducational, child clinical psychology) take forever to write and they aren't that good.

But, then again, there is no such thing as a "perfect" report.

But, my confidence has been dashed. I'm almost don't with my postdoc, and I feel like I'm still not cutting the mustard. I'll compare the document I send to my supervisor and it''s been edited to all hell. Organizational changes, rephrasing, etc...

We rarely disagree about diagnosis. So I guess that's nice.

Maybe my supervisor is sorta anal/perfectionistic about reports?

I also struggle because our field's reports are so damn long compared to all other health fields.

I dunno, does anyone have any quick tips on how to better and faster at report writing?

1. Most people don't read your report.

2. When you don't have a supervisor any longer, you can write reports in any way and organization structure that it fitting with you. Cause again, almost no one else will read it.

3. Its not a creative writing class, and I've never understood why some supervisors seem to make it so. Shorter is almost always better, unless there is some forensic component or question. Shorter will at least increase the changes that people will actually read your report.

Reactions: 8 users
1. Most people don't read your report.

2. When you don't have a supervisor any longer, you can write reports in any way and organization structure that it fitting with you. Cause again, almost no one else will read it.

3. Its not a creative writing class, and I've never understood why some supervisors seem to make it so. Shorter is almost always better, unless there is some forensic component or question. Shorter will at least increase the changes that people will actually read your report.

Depends. Once you're own your own, I'd always recommend that you talk with your main referral sources about what they want/need from you. I tailor my reports depending on my sources. The outside neurology clinics get a different report than the in-house neuro-oncology clinic does. People don't read some reports because people throw out poor quality cookie-cutter junk that they use for EVERYTHING. If you find out what people want and/or need in your reports, you can write some that will be read, and keep out the junk that won't get read.

Caveat, always include whatever CYA you need, regardless of it's clinical usefulness.

As to the OP, my reports are about 4-6 pages for a full neuropsych eval, and that includes a data table. These take me 45-60 minutes to throw together.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your impressions section is the single most important section in your report and the (only) part most people will read... and subsequently copy/paste into their own notes (sigh). If this remains fairly unedited, you're in OK shape. Other elements of your report will continue to evolve. I've had supervisors many years into the game still revising their styles.

Reactions: 1 user
Parsimony is your best friend. You should be providing the minimum amount of info necessary to say what you need to say. If you can say it in a sentence, don’t use a paragraph. I’ve recently started using a grid for the history section, and it goes quicker and is easier for the reader.

You mean scoring 8 / 10 on a naming task isn’t 80%?

I wish I were kidding.

"But, the patient improved their Trails A score by 25", they must be better! It couldn't possibly be because I administered it to the patient every day over the past week."

Reactions: 6 users
Parsimony is your best friend. You should be providing the minimum amount of info necessary to say what you need to say. If you can say it in a sentence, don’t use a paragraph. I’ve recently started using a grid for the history section, and it goes quicker and is easier for the reader.

Would you mind clarifying what you mean by "grid?" I've been looking for ways to more concisely write my reports.

Would you mind clarifying what you mean by "grid?" I've been looking for ways to more concisely write my reports.
History section is basically table, with cells for the following. Info in each cell is brief list. Given that 2 year old children who don't talk are a) a relatively homogeneous population and b) don't typically have a lot of history, much of this section is templated, and i just change a few things in each cell for each report. I really try to stick only to information relevant to the presenting problems (which is typically autism).

Family Composition

Family History

Birth History

Medical History

Developmental History

Parent Concerns

Beware slps trying to give neuropsych tests. Do not acquiesce to this.
Oh my gosh, this had me so concerned. I recently had a practicum in a physical rehab setting and speech was doing all kinds of cognitive evaluations and cognitive remediation and after shadowing one I had some serious concerns.

History section is basically table, with cells for the following. Info in each cell is brief list. Given that 2 year old children who don't talk are a) a relatively homogeneous population and b) don't typically have a lot of history, much of this section is templated, and i just change a few things in each cell for each report. I really try to stick only to information relevant to the presenting problems (which is typically autism).

Family Composition

Family History

Birth History

Medical History

Developmental History

Parent Concerns
My history sections are quite similar, and also include a chart for therapy/intervention type, dates, frequency and duration of sessions, and provider; similar chart for previous evaluations and results. Also recently started using the smart phrases and making some templates for some paragraphs that are Frequently used, adding in drop-down options (e.g., the standard sentences like NAME is currently in X grade at X school...) in our medical records system. Has definitely helped w my reports (which are, IMO, still way too long, usually around 10 pages which is shorter than many in my organization... working on that).

I feel like my reports (autism, psychoeducational, child clinical psychology) take forever to write and they aren't that good.

But, then again, there is no such thing as a "perfect" report.

But, my confidence has been dashed. I'm almost don't with my postdoc, and I feel like I'm still not cutting the mustard. I'll compare the document I send to my supervisor and it''s been edited to all hell. Organizational changes, rephrasing, etc...

We rarely disagree about diagnosis. So I guess that's nice.

Maybe my supervisor is sorta anal/perfectionistic about reports?

I also struggle because our field's reports are so damn long compared to all other health fields.

I dunno, does anyone have any quick tips on how to better and faster at report writing?

Have you talked to your supervisors about it? What helped me become a better report writer was getting good feedback from my supervisors and incorporating it each time I wrote a new report.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assessment class: 15 - 20 pages
internship: 10 - 12 pages
post-doc: 5 - 7 pages
licensed psychologist: 4 - 5 pages
in the future as a retired psychologist: 0 pages

Reactions: 5 users

Right? At my practicum I was mortified when my supervisor cut out information that my professor/school assessment clinic would have considered necessary. But, as Shakespeare wrote, brevity is the soul of assessment reports.

Ya'll are making me so happy. I might just copy and paste this entire thread for my class. I teach personality assessment and supervise in our in-house training clinic and these reports are SO DAMN LONG. They come to me after a cognitive assessment course where they are trained to write out everything, and I basically have to teach them how to undo the extensive report writing in favor of brevity and clarity. The students don't believe me that real-world reports are shorter than the 15-20 page monstrosities they send me. So thanks for this!!

Reactions: 1 users
One may argue short reports are much more ethical as well:

4.04 Minimizing Intrusions on Privacy
(a) Psychologists include in written and oral reports and consultations, only information germane to the purpose for which the communication is made.

In my assessment classes right now we're being taught/expected to do 5-7 page reports, which means at this rate by the time I'm a venerable psychologist like smalltownpsych, I'll be down to around -1 to 0 pages.

My inpatient reports were 1.5-2 pages max when I did that work. Report + feedback on same day. It was awesome. And all the other professionals on the unit loved the brevity.

What do y'all think about a simple psychoeducational eval report being 1 or 2 pages.

I was thinking, one paragraph on IQ.

Like literally just saying something like "You're IQ is average, you're reading and spelling sucks, you have dyslexia. Also, it seems like you can't focus worth ****. The rating scales and history (like one or two paragraphs) say you have ADHD."

I feel like reports from medical doctors don't do as much justifying as we do.

I'd much rather make a powerpoint about the results and give present that to the patient.

I mean....I think it's important to distinguish between test results and fact (rating scales don't SAY anything, we interpret them). Also, you might consider checking your own grammar on that one. (It's "your," not "you're.")

What do y'all think about a simple psychoeducational eval report being 1 or 2 pages.
"You're IQ is average, you're reading and spelling sucks, you have dyslexia. Also, it seems like you can't focus worth ****. The rating scales and history (like one or two paragraphs) say you have ADHD."

I'm hoping this was pun-intended.

So what y'all is saying that maybe I should proof some stuff?

You'd be a fine candidate for Derek Zoolander's School for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want to Learn to Do Other Stuff Good Too

/s in case anyone gets mad

I've written reports anywhere from 2 pages (single spaced) for practice to about 4-5. I cant think of a time where I could justify a longer report being needed or useful.

I'm straight up horrified at teaching 20 page reports. Why practice what we dont do. That isnt what I teach in assessment courses either.

Last edited:
Do you get to charge by the pound? That'd be great.

Given the variability, I'm wondering which type of reports do internship sites - specifically VA sites - like to see from applicants. I have more extensive 25 page reports, and I have more brief 10 page reports.

That's a good question. I will have a pretty hefty variety of styles to choose from by the time I apply, and would love to know what style VA's and State Hospitals would generally prefer. Or is sending the style I prefer generally a good way to promote goodness-of-fit?

That's a good question. I will have a pretty hefty variety of styles to choose from by the time I apply, and would love to know what style VA's and State Hospitals would generally prefer. Or is sending the style I prefer generally a good way to promote goodness-of-fit?

Most VA neuro places don't put too much stick in the sample reports you send. Prac students essentially have to recreate their supervisors style, so it doesn't always tell us much about the individual student unless the report is a trainwreck. Definitely check it for typos. We recently had one that was absolutely riddled with spelling errors and typos. I didn't even bother with reviewing the rest of the application at that point.