Does anyone ever get into just a MD program if rejected from MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pixie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most schools tell you that if you are rejected from a MD/PhD program you still have a shot at their med school. Has this really ever happened to anyone?
Or does applying to the combined program actually hurt you if you are willing to either one? Anyone know?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was placed in the MD pool at schools that rejected me MSTP. I usually ended up waitlisted at those MD programs.

From what I gather (and some of this is hand-waving...no hard evidence to back this up), it makes sense to me that the MD admissions folks have a hard time believing you'll choose their MD program over an MSTP at a comparable institution if you were originally an MSTP applicant -- to them it's like wasting an offer on someone who probably won't take it. If one is rejected at an MSTP but would still like to attend their MD program, it's in your best interest to communicate this to the MD admissions folks.

Members don't see this ad :)
oasis786 said:
I was placed in the MD pool at schools that rejected me MSTP. I usually ended up waitlisted at those MD programs.

From what I gather (and some of this is hand-waving...no hard evidence to back this up), it makes sense to me that the MD admissions folks have a hard time believing you'll choose their MD program over an MSTP at a comparable institution if you were originally an MSTP applicant -- to them it's like wasting an offer on someone who probably won't take it. If one is rejected at an MSTP but would still like to attend their MD program, it's in your best interest to communicate this to the MD admissions folks.

I was both offerred MD/PhD interviews and accepted into MD programs and offerred only MD interviews and consequently accepted... so it is possible... but i think its just easier if you really want to do MD only.... u will have a much better chance if you just apply md

I was accepted at two MD programs, one of which I got a 1/4 merit scholarship and got into their MD/PhD program as well, and the other gave me virtually no fin aid rejected me for MD/PhD from the waitlist.

So yeah, it does happen.

Yes, It happens, I had two schools accept me MD and not MD/PhD. Another school offered me and MD only interview and I turned it down. I think applying MD/PhD kinda hurt me some in MD only because I talked about research as part of my AMCAS and also talked about MD/PhD programs in my AMCAS. Looking at other peoples stats, I think it is likely that I would have had a few more interviews if I had applied MD only, but I don't regret it because I am now doing what I really want to.

I have been reading other threads about this but am still left wondering if there is a single source that states whether a school will still consider you for MD if you are rejected for MD/PhD. Should I just plan on calling each school and asking? I am mostly interested in Ohio schools and southeast Michigan.

hoberto said:
I have been reading other threads about this but am still left wondering if there is a single source that states whether a school will still consider you for MD if you are rejected for MD/PhD. Should I just plan on calling each school and asking? I am mostly interested in Ohio schools and southeast Michigan.
If there is a single website I never found it. I'd check the schools websites (some explicitly say) if you can't find it then call.

For those that are interested, if you apply to Case's MD/PhD program and wish to be considered for MD only you need to call the med school and let them know.