Does anyone get in with a 2.4 GPA?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jonny

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone get in with a 2.4 GPA or anywhere around that number?

Members don't see this ad.

Jonny said:
Does anyone get in with a 2.4 GPA or anywhere around that number?
Then again you never know. I believe that anything is possible. There may be something extraordinary about this person. Also, this person could have had unforseen circumstances that caused his/her GPA to be below average. Remeber that this forum is only advice, it is up to an indivudual to make decisions and take chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
If a person with avg stats 3.2- 3.3 18DAT applied to every single school, their chance of getting in is 1:2 (50%)

with a 2.4 gpa and if you applied to every single school and even if you had a 23+ DAT I bet your chance of getting in is 1:20

This is what I was told by admission people, from more than one school: GPA is a better indicator of future performance because it requries discipline over a long period of time. DAT is not the best indicator because you only have to be disciplined for a few weeks to score good.

So a person with a high GPA and avg DAT score is set. A person with an avg GPA and avg DAT score is set. A person with a low GPA and really high DAT is almost screwed

The best way to get in for you is a post-bac to increase your GPA or some sort of masters degree...but I'm not sure you could get into a decent masters program with a 2.4. Just saying the truth and I'm not going to blow smoke at you. Be prepared for rejection and start a back up plan NOW!

Jon:

I believe I read your post in the "Under 3.0 Club" before, as a member of that club and a past successful applicant with AADSAS undergraduate GPAs below 2.5, I must tell you again that now days, applicants with a GPA below 2.5 without some sorts of further work WILL NOT get in EVEN with high DATs.

Admissions want to see a trend of improvement, at least two semesters worth of solid grades (no Cs), and/or something shows that they can take a chance on you by accepting you. Your chances of getting into a dental school will improve as you put more work into your academics. Take a year at a time. I know what you're thinking...."man, I don't want to wait another year!" or "man, I hate to take more classes!" Guess what, you gotta put in your time brotha!

The competition of getting into dental schools today is more competitive than ever. Based on merits alone, you must demonstrate your academic abilities. How, by showing more "A"s on your transcript(s) and by getting at least a 20/20 (Acad/PAT) on the DAT. Your other options are:

1) have your parents donate $2 million to the school of your choice
2) hope to win the lottery then donate $2 million to the school of your choice
3) convince the daughter of the dental school Dean to fall in love with you and have her say "yes" to your marriage proposal, then con your father-in-law to give you a seat in the next incoming class
4) have President Bush write you a letter of recommendation and a personal phone call to the dental school Dean on your behalf
5) paint yourself darker and pretend that you're within a minority applicant status (African Americans and Hispanics only) if you aren't already

As there are many other "routes" you may take, I still suggest you to take more courses, but in a graduate level so it can reflect a new GPA, ABOVE and BEYOND getting high DAT scores.

You can do it, people have done it, I did it, it only take time and patience my man! Good luck.

Andy is correct. With a 2.4 GPA an applicant isn't going to get in anywhere, even with DATs that are 24s across the board. It simply isn't going to happen.

The applicant must take steps to either raise their GPA (if possible, which it probably isn't) or to pursue post-grad academics that show the adcoms that higher-level coursework can be handled halfway decently.

charmstot said:
Then again you never know. I believe that anything is possible. There may be something extraordinary about this person. Also, this person could have had unforseen circumstances that caused his/her GPA to be below average. Remeber that this forum is only advice, it is up to an indivudual to make decisions and take chances.

With an extremely low GPA it will be very tough to near impossible to get into dental school.... regardless of 'unforseen circumstances' what not... the reasons why you got to where you're at might be explainable in the personal statement or in other parts of your application but the fact is most school's initial look at you is the numbers eg GPA and DAT... usually the former first... it's like the first cuts... It might be be beneficial to take the advice of some on this thread and take a year of classes... full load... challenging science classes... eg micro., endocrinology, anatomy, biochemistry, embryolgy/devel bio, histology, immunology.... etc... Don't think of it as a waste of time cuz if you master these classes... and get A's.. you will not only look good and have a higher GPA... these subjects will be seen in some major form in your first two or three years in Dental School... just check out the curriculum in most Dental school websites. Good Luck!

You mention a catch22 for low GPA people. They need more academic work, some sort of graduate (non-thesis) biology/medical related program, but with a low GPA you can't even get into those. How about taking courses a la carte if the individual in question has hit a dead end due to the low GPA?(Taking upper level Biology courses.)

anyway you put it a 2.4 screws you all around. And don't give me this hardship bullcrap.

My buddy in his 2nd semester undergrad lost his mom to cancer. In his 2nd year 2nd semester he lost his brother to a drunk driver. He graduated with a 3.7 and is in med school now.

Long story short....make all the excuses you want. If you have a 2.4 you got if for a reason...too much screwing around

Sorry, but thats why professional schools are hard to get into...there are some that can cut it and others that can't

Brocnizer2007 said:
anyway you put it a 2.4 screws you all around. And don't give me this hardship bullcrap.

My buddy in his 2nd semester undergrad lost his mom to cancer. In his 2nd year 2nd semester he lost his brother to a drunk driver. He graduated with a 3.7 and is in med school now.

Long story short....make all the excuses you want. If you have a 2.4 you got if for a reason...too much screwing around

Sorry, but thats why professional schools are hard to get into...there are some that can cut it and others that can't

Chill big man, this guy just wanted some advice and not to be talked down to. Go get laid or something, sounds like you need it. :laugh:

BTW, its nice to be back.

Many schools require a 2.5 (or even a 2.75) to even be eligible to apply.

Bickle said:
Chill big man, this guy just wanted some advice and not to be talked down to. Go get laid or something, sounds like you need it. :laugh:

Do dental students have time to do that too??? :confused:

My question is, if you had a 2.4 GPA, why would you even apply? Wouldn't you eventually get incredibly ticked off at yourself when advisors, LOR writers, etc. attack your academic credentials over and over again? It would be much healthier in the long run to prove that you could get A's, even if only for a semester, and even if Daddy Megabucks can get you in. That way, when you look back, you have legit proof that you could do it at the undergrad level, and people won't be questioning how you got in for the rest of your life.

As for low GPA people, of whom I am one, you gotta keep the faith. Don't whine about how your GPA sucks, just buck up and get it done. But I can't get in anywhere with my GPA, you ask? Sure you can, I say. If you want a second degree, go to Temple undergrad, where a 2.3 GPA will get you in. That's right, a 2.3. If you just want classes, Harvard Extension is OPEN ENROLLMENT. That's right, you can have a 0.0 GPA and take a bio elective taught by Harvard Medical School faculty. Then there's the countless community colleges that are also OPEN ENROLLMENT. My point: THERE ARE ALWAYS OPTIONS!! If your GPA's too low for the 'selective' level, take classes at the 'nonselective' level first, earn your wings or whatever, and take it from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
so what GPA would you have to have (minimum) to get an interview??

Bickle said:

Later tonight when the wife gets home from work :D

I can offer my personal experience here. After graduating in 2003, I decided to take an extra year of upper level science courses. I chose not to pursue a masters because it was too much of a commitment (two years, thesis). I completed a full course load of undergrad sci courses and it truly paid off. Look on the positive side: if your past indicates a low GPA, and you somehow rectify this by completing an extra year, you will show the adcoms 2 things 1) you are smarter than your 2.4 GPA and 2) you will not accept defeat

no offense, but do ppl with lowlow (<2.5) GPA really belong in dental school? one thing that the schools are keeping in mind is whether or not you can survive it after they accept you, whether you're willing to work hard. dental and med schools are taking the cream of the crop from undergrad, and only in rare instances would they dip into the below average category (if you flunked first semester but did increasing well throughout the four years, have 5 papers published, etc).

vandy_yankee said:
no offense, but do ppl with lowlow (<2.5) GPA really belong in dental school?

Sure, why not? Although numbers are used to weed out applicants, at times, numbers do not truly represent ones potential. For example, I had a crappy sh1tty undergrad GPA (2.4 something on AADSAS application), I am now a student leader of my University and at my dental school, top 20 and 20% in my class of 105, earned a 90 percentile on my boards, the list goes on.....

There are many dental and medical students similar to my situation where not only they are competent to become doctors, but further they are leaders and achievers of their class. It is for this reason why admission offices across the country are willing to hear stories, give applicant chances, and review applications with low undergraduate GPAs.

Accepting applicants with low GPAs, by all means, IS NOT A NORM, but applicants with low GPAs have to EARN their opportunities which usually includes years and years of catching up in academics.

Do people with low GPAs belong in dental and medical schools?

YES, they do if they have earned it! :thumbup:

Yah-E said:
Sure, why not? Although numbers are used to weed out applicants, at times, numbers do not truly represent ones potential. For example, I had a crappy sh1tty undergrad GPA (2.4 something on AADSAS application), I am now a student leader of my University and at my dental school, top 20 and 20% in my class of 105, earned a 90 percentile on my boards, the list goes on.....

There are many dental and medical students similar to my situation where not only they are competent to become doctors, but further they are leaders and achievers of their class. It is for this reason why admission offices across the country are willing to hear stories, give applicant chances, and review applications with low undergraduate GPAs.

Accepting applicants with low GPAs, by all means, IS NOT A NORM, but applicants with low GPAs have to EARN their opportunities which usually includes years and years of catching up in academics.

Do people with low GPAs belong in dental and medical schools?

YES, they do if they have earned it! :thumbup:

Just to let you guys know what i have accomplished other then a 2.4 GPA

Last two semester GPA have been above a 3.3 and im expecting a 4.0 this semester which would put my GPA close to a 2.6

For Volunteer Work

I helped start the American Oral Cancer Foundation, and Ive been serving as the secretary for the past three years.
Responsibilities:
1.Public Relations
2.Brochure and Website Design
3. Oral Cancer awareness presentations to Doctors, Assistants, and Hygienist.
4. Scientific Exhibitor at Dental Conventions representing the AOCF.

Director of Administration for the College of Natural Science & Mathematics Inter-Club Council (NSM-ICC), at California State University Fullerton.

Buena Park Dental Center September 2000 ? Present Total hours 4,160
Laguna Beach Dental July 1999 ? December 1999 Total hours 144
Mesa Dental Center June 1998 ? November 1998 Total hours 760
At each Dental Office responsibilities were:
Filing Charts
Cleaning and Setting up rooms
Scheduling Patients
Customer Service
Shadowing Doctor
X-Ray developing
Assisting lab Technician
Pouring Molds
Computer Technician
Sterilizing instruments
Assisting in various dental procedures

Member of :
American Dental Education Association (ADEA)
American Student Dental Association (ASDA)
Student Health Profession Association (SHPA)
American Oral Cancer Foundation (AOCF)

Completed
Pre-Dental Clinical Simulation Course at UOP April 24-25, 2004
Pre-Dental Denture Laboratory Technique Course at UCLA October 25,26 and November 1, 2003

Please give me any comments

Jonny said:
Just to let you guys know what i have accomplished other then a 2.4 GPA

Last two semester GPA have been above a 3.3 and im expecting a 4.0 this semester which would put my GPA close to a 2.6

For Volunteer Work

I helped start the American Oral Cancer Foundation, and Ive been serving as the secretary for the past three years.
Responsibilities:
1.Public Relations
2.Brochure and Website Design
3. Oral Cancer awareness presentations to Doctors, Assistants, and Hygienist.
4. Scientific Exhibitor at Dental Conventions representing the AOCF.

Director of Administration for the College of Natural Science & Mathematics Inter-Club Council (NSM-ICC), at California State University Fullerton.

Buena Park Dental Center September 2000 ? Present Total hours 4,160
Laguna Beach Dental July 1999 ? December 1999 Total hours 144
Mesa Dental Center June 1998 ? November 1998 Total hours 760
At each Dental Office responsibilities were:
Filing Charts
Cleaning and Setting up rooms
Scheduling Patients
Customer Service
Shadowing Doctor
X-Ray developing
Assisting lab Technician
Pouring Molds
Computer Technician
Sterilizing instruments
Assisting in various dental procedures

Member of :
American Dental Education Association (ADEA)
American Student Dental Association (ASDA)
Student Health Profession Association (SHPA)
American Oral Cancer Foundation (AOCF)

Completed
Pre-Dental Clinical Simulation Course at UOP April 24-25, 2004
Pre-Dental Denture Laboratory Technique Course at UCLA October 25,26 and November 1, 2003

Please give me any comments

Now you should use your time and concentrate on getting straight A's for a year. You're definately set with your extracurriculars.

Jonny:

You sound like me back in the days and that is why I'm willing to give you advice. You see, your 3.3 and 4.0 semesters are nice, but cumulatively those grades will still be buried in your low cumulative GPA. These high GPA semesters are what we call "trend of improvement". Although you have "trend of improvement", your overall GPA is still too low. Your academic situation is exactly what I had to deal with back in my days.

So to reflect a new GPA, I went and did a Post-Bac so all my great new grades showed up by themselves instead of being buried within my undergraduate GPA. You need something that will show adcoms your new great grades by themselves.

Now all this organizations you belong to and all this dental experiences you have WILL not compensate for your low GPA! Believe me, I tried to play that card too. The thing is this, without numbers, your extracurriculars won't even be looked at. They don't see numbers, they won't even open your application folder to review it. The list you shared with us will not catch their eyes, but your 2.4 or 2.6 will and then it's the DENIAL pile you go with your application.

It's like this, you have all this beautiful furniture and appliances inside this amazing house, if you don't have the key to open the door to the house, then how are you going to enjoy all that beautiful furniture and electronics inside?

Dental school = people outside shopping for houses
Your GPA & DAT numbers = the key to the house
Your extracurriculars & resume = the beautiful furniture & electronics inside

If you don't offer the right "key" to the house, the dental school ain't going to waste their time to look what's inside, ya know what I'm saying? So don't advertise all the goodies you have until you have the "key" to share with us.

You must earn the "key". Earn it! No short cuts about it, especially with the competition today. Most effective way, Post-bac, graduate level and high DAT (20/20).

Yah-E said:
Jonny:

You sound like me back in the days and that is why I'm willing to give you advice. You see, your 3.3 and 4.0 semesters are nice, but cumulatively those grades will still be buried in your low cumulative GPA. These high GPA semesters are what we call "trend of improvement". Although you have "trend of improvement", your overall GPA is still too low. Your academic situation is exactly what I had to deal with back in my days.

So to reflect a new GPA, I went and did a Post-Bac so all my great new grades showed up by themselves instead of being buried within my undergraduate GPA. You need something that will show adcoms your new great grades by themselves.

Now all this organizations you belong to and all this dental experiences you have WILL not compensate for your low GPA! Believe me, I tried to play that card too. The thing is this, without numbers, your extracurriculars won't even be looked at. They don't see numbers, they won't even open your application folder to review it. The list you shared with us will not catch their eyes, but your 2.4 or 2.6 will and then it's the DENIAL pile you go with your application.

It's like this, you have all this beautiful furniture and appliances inside this amazing house, if you don't have the key to open the door to the house, then how are you going to enjoy all that beautiful furniture and electronics inside?

Dental school = people outside shopping for houses
Your GPA & DAT numbers = the key to the house
Your extracurriculars & resume = the beautiful furniture & electronics inside

If you don't offer the right "key" to the house, the dental school ain't going to waste their time to look what's inside, ya know what I'm saying? So don't advertise all the goodies you have until you have the "key" to share with us.

You must earn the "key". Earn it! No short cuts about it, especially with the competition today. Most effective way, Post-bac, graduate level and high DAT (20/20).

Thanks YAH-E
for the advice im trying to take more classes. Ive already taken the DAT my scores are 19/20/20. I guess all i need now is to really focus on bringing my grades up...

Jonny said:
Thanks YAH-E
for the advice im trying to take more classes. Ive already taken the DAT my scores are 19/20/20. I guess all i need now is to really focus on bringing my grades up...

I think you will need higher than a 19 academic average if you want to get accepted. 20 would be the bare minimum....but to give yourself a real chance you will need 23-24. A 19 is very close to average these days, and your GPA is not close to the average at all. You need a very high DAT to compensate.