Does anyone happen to know anything about Israeli med schools???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dondon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know the Average MCAT and GPA for students accepted to either Sackler, the Technion or Ben Gurion ???

(these are all US accredited med schools in Israel)

Members don't see this ad.

As if medschool is not hard enough, you want to throw midlle-east conflict into the mix.

I hear you get to do trauma rotations at a falafel stand.

Members don't see this ad :)
As if medschool is not hard enough, you want to throw midlle-east conflict into the mix.

Granted I know nothing about Israeli medical schools, but let's suppose for a moment it's easier to get in to than U.S. schools. Think there'd be any shortage of applicants from the States, despite the conflict? :D

I have my interview for Technion next wednesday. The averages are lower than I expected. Supposed to be decent schools.

I have my interview for Technion next wednesday. The averages are lower than I expected. Supposed to be decent schools.

what is lower???

I studied abroad in Israel and I wouldn't stress about any conflicts. I felt completely safe during my time there. Terrorist attacks happen anywhere...I visited Ben Gurion during my time there and also got input from a nurse friend who visited the hospital in Jerusalem with one of my classmates who had an eye injury was being cared for. From my observations and her input, it was pretty clear that while Israeli medicine is above and beyond any other Middle Eastern medicine, it can't hold a candle to U.S. medicine. I was really shocked when I saw Soroka (the hospital Ben Gurion works out of). It was very poor compared to any of the hospitals I have seen in the U.S. All of that said, Israel was a really culturally diverse country and the med students (mostly American) seemed very happy. I guess it all comes down to what you are looking for. I wasn't right for me anyway.

Does anyone happen to know the Average MCAT and GPA for students accepted to either Sackler, the Technion or Ben Gurion ???

(these are all US accredited med schools in Israel)

Ok, I'll bite. The average GPA for Ben Gurion is 3.5 and the average MCAT is 29. The school is becoming increasingly competitive as it becomes more well known. The maximum number of students each year is limted to 50, although they have, in the past, had classes far smaller. They prefer to have a smaller class than admit students that are not a good "fit" for the program. It all comes down to the individual and entry statistics are highly variable between students.

I disagree with the assessment that "Israeli medicine cannot hold a candle to US medicine." It is true that the hospitals here do not have the resources of American hospitals, but the medicine is very much the same. I have worked at "Prestigious" US hospitals and, with the exception of more widely available technology, there was no real difference. I admit that at first sight the architecture of the hospital, and the culture within it, caught me a bit off guard. However, great research comes from the Israeli medical community and they are often involved in cutting edge procedures and research.

They are not, however, frivolous with their medical dollars. The national healthcare system physicians determine what is necessary for the population as a whole and approves what is neccessary (ie: instead of a $10k titanium and ceramic prosthetic hip, they will implant one made of steel or the last generation of titanium). It is simply a matter of economics, but the measured outcomes are the same.

If you prefer an "American Style" experience, Sackler is considered a good alternative. If International health is your thing, Ben Gurion is a good choice. I have limited knowledge on the remainder of the programs. If you intend on some super competitive specialty, I would try to stay within the US. despite what others may tell you. Otherwise, I think the educational experiences here are on par or above that of many US medical schools.