Does anyone have 15 inch Macbook pro? What's your opinion on it vs 13 inch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsfree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need your input on it. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the 15 inch because I enjoy a larger screen. It's just personal preference. Although it's big, I have no trouble fitting it in my backpack or taking it anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a 13" in undergrad and I bought a 15" for dental school. I like the increased size for reading all of our online textbooks and my new laptop is a later model so it has improved graphics.

Dental school is extremely expensive and I would cut as many costs as I can so I would go for the 13" unless money isn't an issue. There won't be many applications, if any, that you will be running in school that require 16 gigs of RAM and an i7 processor. I bought mine because I do photography and shoot and edit video so I wanted a beefier computer.

I agree with the above comment in that the bigger size is cool and it does not create any logistical problems taking it to and from school.

Personally, I would stay away from the newest MacBook Pro though. While it is a little bit thinner and the colors are a little bit cooler, there is virtually no ports for USB 2.0, which almost everything uses and the charger is not the MagSafe charger. You will probably be using the heck out of your computer and putting it in compromising positions in the sim lab and the MagSafe charger makes all the difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a cheaper Windows laptop and save cash

Get a cheaper Windows laptop and save cash
Windows is cheaper, yes, but it will also last 1/4th the amount of time as a Mac will. Also, Apple customer service is excellent. They have repaired my computer for various reasons and I've never had to pay. You get what you pay for.

Windows is cheaper, yes, but it will also last 1/4th the amount of time as a Mac will. Also, Apple customer service is excellent. They have repaired my computer for various reasons and I've never had to pay. You get what you pay for.
"Once you go Mac, you never go back"

"Once you go Mac, you never go back"

Lol that was funny. I have to throw in this though:

Lenovo laptops are solid. There's a reason why most Fortune 500 companies use them. They are like the Mac of the PC world.

I feel like a lap top is a solid investment though. I mean if you are gonna borrow hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans, what does a 1,000$ difference on a lap top really matter? Lol. Also, it's arguably the most important device you'll use in dental school.

No way. I've had the same Toshiba since the summer before freshman year of college. Its an i3 also and it still runs solidly. People are just technologically dumb sometimes. I don't even have a mal ware software I just use adblock plus and never had to take it anywhere to fix it. The only thing I had to do was replace the battery which cost 15 bucks. And Apple makes their products very difficult for self repair because they can make a lot of money from repair and or warranty issues. If you can afford it then I guess it doesn't matter

Have used both 13 and 15 inch MacBook Pros.

100% would recommend the 13 inch - the 15 inch is just too heavy, too bulky for me. My hands got tired just holding it. I also didn't care for the increased screen size - I'm fine with the 13 inch.

If screen size is an issue for you, you can always get an external monitor to hook up your MacBook to at home.

If you're interested, also look into the MacBook Air line. I recently picked up a 13 inch MacBook Air. Awesome battery life, very light, gets what I need done easily, and it's backed by amazing Apple customer service.

Have used both 13 and 15 inch MacBook Pros.

100% would recommend the 13 inch - the 15 inch is just too heavy, too bulky for me. My hands got tired just holding it. I also didn't care for the increased screen size - I'm fine with the 13 inch.

If screen size is an issue for you, you can always get an external monitor to hook up your MacBook to at home.

If you're interested, also look into the MacBook Air line. I recently picked up a 13 inch MacBook Air. Awesome battery life, very light, gets what I need done easily, and it's backed by amazing Apple customer service.

Good to see you posting again :)

Glad you're enjoying your MacBook Air. I, however, can't in good conscience recommend anyone buy that machine. For the price, it's giving the consumer some really old legacy hardware (by technology standards). 2012 called and it wants its screen back :(

Its SSD, processor, and RAM are from 2015. It's a good machine, no doubt, but most definitely not worth the 1000 dollars that it commands.

Good to see you posting again :)

Glad you're enjoying your MacBook Air. I, however, can't in good conscience recommend anyone buy that machine. For the price, it's giving the consumer some really old legacy hardware (by technology standards). 2012 called and it wants its screen back :(

Its SSD, processor, and RAM are from 2015. It's a good machine, no doubt, but most definitely not worth the 1000 dollars that it commands.

I wish I had your expertise around when I was shopping for computers xD

I used a 13" for my whole university life, still running like the first day ( especially the battery ). I just bought a 15" with touch bar because of the GPU ( for photo and video editing). New 15" is just a little bigger and have similar weight to my old 13". I would say for studying only, get 13".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely depends on what you are going to use it for. If it is strictly for studying, the smaller/lighter 13" is probably the way to go. I have the 15" and love it. I play the occasional game like WOW or old school Diablo II, as well as edit videos, watch netflix...blah blah. External monitors can solve the small screen problems, but adds more money. I can't even feel the 15" in my backpack its so light. I can only imagine the 13"