Does anyone have an answer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student247

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question.

I'm seriously struggling in my Chemistry class. To make things worse, its a prerequisite course in chem (basic chemistry). I just took my mid term and have a C in the class. By the looks of things I'll probably either get a C (or God forbid a D)in the class. So here is my question:

I have a gpa of 3.45. Should I take the C in chem or drop the class and receive a W on my transcript? And if I stick with the class how will the C affect med school impressions? Better yet, how will a W look on a persons transcripts?

I really appreciate any information any one has on this subject. Thanks.
Im seriously stressed out.

Members don't see this ad.

it's not abnormal for a first year pre-med messed up a class. I assume that science is not a problem for you, since you are a premed student, so you are getting a C really because you are not ready for college or just slacking.
I will say it depends on how many more midterm and final there are left, and how much do you miss in the class. Are you completely not getting it? The first quater/semester intro. chem is very basic stuff, stuff that you can just memorize. If the remaining test/homework/final worth more than 40% in total, I will say stick with it and study really hard for it. Perhaps you can get a B-.
A C in your first semester/quarter first science course really won't hurt your GPA too much, because you are just a freshman and have plenty of courses more to take in the future.
There will definitely be a lot of opportunity for you to make up your GPA. If you do fine in the second and third chem courses, then excel in ochem, the addcom will know that you have coorected your mistake and moved on.
If you still get bad grade in the future courses, I will say that perhaps medecine is not right for you. (Well, again it really depends on your situation and how strong your dedication is. If you are just a first year college student, perhaps you are still exploring career field.)
Anyway, a W will also NOT hurt your transcript too much, as long as you don't have a lot of them. If I were you, I wouldn't drop the course. I would just work really really hard and make up my GPA later.

I don't have an "answer" for this, but if you can get at "W" (not a "WF" - fail), then I probably would do that. If it's a WF, then don't drop. But, that's me. I don;t think one C will kill you, but it will put more pressure on you to excel in your subsequent classes. If there's a good reason for the poor grade, then drop it and take it again. If you get asked, then you can provide the reason in interviews. If there's not a good reason, I'm not sure what I'd do. Again, this is not adivce per se, but probably what I would do. I think the best thing would be to ask your pre-med advisor. Good luck,

Becky