Does anyone have anything positive to say about medicine?

osumc2014

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just seeing if we can motivate each other through this app process with a little encouragement. What are some POSITIVE things about medicine right now??

daisy44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status
Thank you for starting this thread.

It's very disheartening to be in the middle of the application process and have people telling you you're practically making the biggest mistake of your life. Not saying we don't appreciate the honesty...but...it would be nice to hear some people speak in favor of it.

Cro

lulz
Apr 18, 2009
Florida
Status
Pre-Medical
I suppose I'll start us off...

1) Extremely rewarding career
2) Unmatched job security
3) Scrubs are super comfy (or so I hear)

Jun 22, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Status
Pre-Medical
1. My dad is able to comfortably support his family of 5 and my aunt's family of 3... all living under 1 roof. His profession provides the main financial support.

2. If you're trying to find an Asian wife... being a doctor is definitely in your favor with potential in-laws. :thumbup: (True story)

3. Despite what others say, patients respect you and are appreciative of your services.

PinkIvy08

Lady Boss
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Medicine saves lives.

Jul 10, 2009
Jersey
Status
Pre-Medical
It's one of the most, if not the most prestigious job out there.

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
California
Status
Medical Student
You get to cut people open....legally.

Being a doctor will always be very "respectable," which generally translates to more poon.

When you're feeling cranky, you can correct people for calling you "Mr." (or Ms./Mrs.)

sunset823

10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
The reasons I'm in:

1. You get to work for yourself/be on the top of the totem pole at the end of this process.
2. For people, like me, with no fashion sense, there's the possibility of wearing the same thing to work every day (scrubs), or cover up your hideous outfit with a long white coat :)
3. If you're Asian, nobody can bug you about marriage until you're in your early-mid-30s, and then they'd have given up on you :)

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
1. My dad is able to comfortably support his family of 5 and my aunt's family of 3... all living under 1 roof. His profession provides the main financial support.

2. If you're trying to find an Asian wife... being a doctor is definitely in your favor with potential in-laws. :thumbup: (True story)

3. Despite what others say, patients respect you and are appreciative of your services.
There we go again!

Kaustikos

Archerize It
10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Always Bespin
Just seeing if we can motivate each other through this app process with a little encouragement. What are some POSITIVE things about medicine right now??
Don't listen to the residents coming on here pissing about their situation. They're in a tough time in their lives. Don't think that it isn't bad, but don't think it's a miserable choice. Some people on here come straight from college into medicine expecting certain things and not realizing what is actually there. They think their career path is **** when they don't realize how many people have it FAR worse than they do. They're like drama queens in highschool.

PinkIvy08

Lady Boss
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Some people on here come straight from college into medicine expecting certain things and not realizing what is actually there. They think their career path is **** when they don't realize how many people have it FAR worse than they do. They're like drama queens in highschool.
Amen! :thumbup:

runrunrudolph1

trauma surgery
7+ Year Member
May 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
1. Surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Save lives. How many people can go home after a day of work, eat dinner and say they saved a life today?

phospho

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Columbus, OH
Status
Medical Student
Don't listen to the residents coming on here pissing about their situation. They're in a tough time in their lives. Don't think that it isn't bad, but don't think it's a miserable choice. Some people on here come straight from college into medicine expecting certain things and not realizing what is actually there. They think their career path is **** when they don't realize how many people have it FAR worse than they do. They're like drama queens in highschool.
as always, awesome post!

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am a third year med student and remain quite happy with my career choice. I just learned that I smoked Step One which has contributed greatly to my cheerful demeanor. It appears that I will have some nice residency options if third year goes well (I am doing my first rotaton). Options are good.

Med school has been alot of hard work but I have managed to maintain some semblance of a life. I was a construction worker for two years before I started med school, which has made me appreciate the career options that medicine provides. No regrets.

runrunrudolph1

trauma surgery
7+ Year Member
May 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
What are some positives? Not much, to be honest. A cardiologist can put a stent in to save a life. A surgeon can fix a bone. An ER doctor can stable a patient. The rest function just to sustain life, but can\'t really \"fix\" the problems. Sure a GI doctor can detect pre-cancer cells, etc, etc. But that only happens if the patients actually come in.
hm...

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Look at the biger picture. Not everyone is a surgeon or a cardiologist. I say not much because there really isn\'t all that much you can do besides run tests, get labs, and diagnose and prescribe. Surgeons are the ones that do the most. I have respect for ER docs as well since their work is meaningful. Now I didn\'t say that the work of other doctors isn\'t meaningful.
It seems like you just wanted to get on here and ruin the goodness of the thread. :thumbdown:

OP
osumc2014

osumc2014

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I\'m being honest. I wouldn\'t be spending time around here if I didn\'t find the career attractive. If you put what good stuff offers compared to most careers, being a doctor trumps everything besdies the engineers who are lucky to have the ability to develop plans for improve access to water to countries that are on short supply and stuff like that. An optho can give a person glasses (which I use to see), and that is rewarding. But it doesn\'t fix the problem That is what I was getting at. Getting glasses helps me sustain my ability to see. If I want to fix my eye problems, I need surgery.
What about primary care physicians prescribing antibiotics to rid a patient of an infection?

Soba

10+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Look at the biger picture. Not everyone is a surgeon or a cardiologist. I say not much because there really isn\'t all that much you can do besides run tests, get labs, and diagnose and prescribe. Surgeons are the ones that do the most. I have respect for ER docs as well since their work is meaningful. Now I didn\'t say that the work of other doctors isn\'t meaningful.
You are underestimating the importance of "run tests, get labs, and diagnose and prescribe." Looks like your focus and definition on meaningful are on the actions that yield immediate, tangible results.

And while such view is not necessarily wrong and becoming a surgeon or a cardiologist is indeed awesome, I suggest that you look at the bigger picture, too.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
1) Doing the kind of things that most people only read about in books or see on TV (even as a med student sometimes)
2) Meeting some truly amazing people and being a part of some of the most significant parts of their lives (and deaths).

Kaustikos

Archerize It
10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Always Bespin
You are underestimating the importance of "run tests, get labs, and diagnose and prescribe." Looks like your focus and definition on meaningful are on the actions that yield immediate, tangible results.

And while such view is not necessarily wrong and becoming a surgeon or a cardiologist is indeed awesome, I suggest that you look at the bigger picture, too.
lol at the idea that cardiologists do exciting work all the time :laugh::laugh::laugh:

mboaz

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2008
Status
Modern science-based medicine has eradicated small pox from the face of the Earth.

Other vaccines save millions of people every year from death, deformity, and serious illness. How many of us reading these forums would never have lived to adulthood without vaccines and antibiotics?

Diabetics can live normal lives thanks to scientific advances in medicine.

People with breast and other types of cancer are no longer doomed to metastatic disease thanks to surgery, radiation and chemotherapy.

Appendicitis? Get yourself to the local hospital and you'll be in, out, and on with your life in no time.

Modern medicine has probably helped us all or someone we care about in ways that we don't even realize. What pursuit could be more noble than to use our acquired understanding of the world to save lives and ease the suffering of our fellow man? That's why we put ourselves through so much, right? To be a part of the greatest, most noble industry in the world. </idealism>

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Modern science-based medicine has eradicated small pox from the face of the Earth.

Other vaccines save millions of people every year from death, deformity, and serious illness. How many of us reading these forums would never have lived to adulthood without vaccines and antibiotics?

Diabetics can live normal lives thanks to scientific advances in medicine.

People with breast and other types of cancer are no longer doomed to metastatic disease thanks to surgery, radiation and chemotherapy.

Appendicitis? Get yourself to the local hospital and you'll be in, out, and on with your life in no time.

Modern medicine has probably helped us all or someone we care about in ways that we don't even realize. What pursuit could be more noble than to use our acquired understanding of the world to save lives and ease the suffering of our fellow man? That's why we put ourselves through so much, right? To be a part of the greatest, most noble industry in the world. </idealism>
Actually, it was Rotary Clubs that eradicated small pox, or at least financed its eradication. In America, Rotary Clubs members are mostly fat small business owners who have lunch once a week and make fun of each other. But major props to Rotary.

vasca

En la era postpasambre
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Chilangolandia nuevamente
Status
It's nice to have patients say "thank you" for your attentiveness. I'm in the ER rotation currently and every 3rd day do something hideous called triage (it wouldn't be hiderous if so many people with common colds that don't even have fever keep on stopping by here every 5 minutes.. or people trying to scam you into giving them consults 100% free, uber annoying).

Well, early this week I immediately passed a guy that had acute abdominal pain (you seem to gain an eye for people with abdominal pain that are going to end up being hospitalized). Today I was in a different service using the service's computer surfing the internet and this same guy post operated thanked me for being so cool even though I was never with him the second I passed him from the triage door (by the time I had my call he was already post-operated and in a different service). I'm a bit surprised he even recognized me given we were only in contact with eachother for less than 5 minutes.

I've even had patients give me candies as presents a few times. Attendings get gifts from patients all of the time! :cool:

May not be the case in every hospital, but if you're willing not to be sleeping all of the time during your internship, you will almost never get bored at your job. There's always some test or some really.. interesting patient to keep you amused.

vickpick

TreeHugger
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2008
NC
Status
Medical Student
i love taking medicine.. just the placebo effect overwhelms me :p

vickpick

TreeHugger
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2008
NC
Status
Medical Student
It's nice to have patients say "thank you" for your attentiveness. I'm in the ER rotation currently and every 3rd day do something hideous called triage (it wouldn't be hiderous if so many people with common colds that don't even have fever keep on stopping by here every 5 minutes.. or people trying to scam you into giving them consults 100% free, uber annoying).

Well, early this week I immediately passed a guy that had acute abdominal pain (you seem to gain an eye for people with abdominal pain that are going to end up being hospitalized). Today I was in a different service using the service's computer surfing the internet and this same guy post operated thanked me for being so cool even though I was never with him the second I passed him from the triage door (by the time I had my call he was already post-operated and in a different service). I'm a bit surprised he even recognized me given we were only in contact with eachother for less than 5 minutes.

I've even had patients give me candies as presents a few times. Attendings get gifts from patients all of the time! :cool:

May not be the case in every hospital, but if you're willing not to be sleeping all of the time during your internship, you will almost never get bored at your job. There's always some test or some really.. interesting patient to keep you amused.
like the "cat-lady" at the hospital I volunteer at...

she fakes unresponsiveness until her favorite doctor walks in..

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Not many people have it worse than residents in terms of workload.