Does anyone have time to....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niemim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
....get out and enjoy the city/town in which they go to school? How important do you guys consider your school's location, once classes start?

Members don't see this ad.

Having a social life is very important during medical school because it is the one thing that keeps you sane. I live in Norfolk, VA and am able to enjoy the bars, the beach, the theater, and all kinds of other things. Although you don't have a huge amount of free time, it's key to live in a city in which you can do things when you do have the time.

A big YES. Twice. Location is very important, I think.

I go to school in NYC. I've definitely been able to live it up. :)

-Ice

Members don't see this ad :)
Location is very important but don't think that the only schools that have fun stuff do are in big cities. It all depends on what you like to do. If you really enjoy going bar hopping or clubing then the city might be a better choice for you. If on the other hand you prefer the outdoors, (skiing, hiking, etc..) and would just as soon go to a party at someones house then to some bar then you would probably want a more rural school.

Yes, plenty of time to do other things. It's not that bad, seriously :)

niemim said:
....get out and enjoy the city/town in which they go to school? How important do you guys consider your school's location, once classes start?

yes. med school is not really that bad.

Would you guys say you go out mostly only after exams? Or do you sometimes go out as a sort of spur-of-the-moment thing where maybe you and your friends are studying and decide, "We need a break...let's hit the bars!" Basically, do you go out mostly only after exams, or is it more of a regular thing regardless of whether you guys are studying or not?

I did nothing but social things last weekend (family in town) and block exams are next week. It's really not as bad as some make it out to be. I'm working hard now, but for the most part you just keep up and do what you want with the rest of the time.

I don't know what anyone here is talking about, but med school is hell. We have 60 hours of lectures a week, times 2 hours per hour of lecture to study it. I don't even get a chance to explore the city or wash my underwear.

Ok, now that I scared you straight, I was only kidding. To address the topic, I think location is a factor I would consider in a med school. As far as the material - sure we have stressful times, but you adapt. I just make a schedule, get done what I want to get done and the rest of the time I can have to myself. This is of course provided the schedule is reasonable to my abilities (which it is) and that I stick to it.

The rest of the time I enjoy. On a day to day basis I take a deliberate 1-2 hours (maybe a bit more depending on work load) for myself - be it cooking, napping, TV, whatever. Also, I don't go to socials just after exams or the week after, but also those held throughout (within reason of course, I still need to get work done). I try to make time to enjoy the things I like, like taking a drive one Saturday exploring the city, or doing hobbies I like. Stuff like that keeps me sane.

After that, you get back to work and it's not so bad. Trust me, the 18 hour daily study sessions go by quickly once you adjust (ok, I'm kidding about the hours too).

Blue Scrub said:
Would you guys say you go out mostly only after exams? Or do you sometimes go out as a sort of spur-of-the-moment thing where maybe you and your friends are studying and decide, "We need a break...let's hit the bars!" Basically, do you go out mostly only after exams, or is it more of a regular thing regardless of whether you guys are studying or not?

I think this will depend on the school. At my school we have block exams, so all of our tests would be at the same time. So that night (usually monday night) after the tests we party. Also since the tests are about 3 weeks apart we usually find time to party during one of the "off" weekends which we don't have to spend studying. That's just the planned stuff. There are also a bunch of random nights where someone decides to go out to a bar and invites the whole class. It's awesome.

TheRussian said:
I think this will depend on the school. At my school we have block exams, so all of our tests would be at the same time. So that night (usually monday night) after the tests we party. Also since the tests are about 3 weeks apart we usually find time to party during one of the "off" weekends which we don't have to spend studying. That's just the planned stuff. There are also a bunch of random nights where someone decides to go out to a bar and invites the whole class. It's awesome.

Sweet! Doesnt sound too bad...but I guess I'll have to wait until I get there :) Thanks!

DrPharaohX said:
I don't know what anyone here is talking about, but med school is hell. We have 60 hours of lectures a week, times 2 hours per hour of lecture to study it. I don't even get a chance to explore the city or wash my underwear.

Next time could you please put the "j/k" at the begging of the post so when i'm reading it i'm not thinking "what school does drpharaoh go to, i hope its not the one i'm going to, how do they handle 60 hrs of lecture a week, etc." :scared:

I think all of us naive people would greatly appreciate it lol :thumbup:

I would put med school in that category. Not necessarily the school part of it but the period of time. In all honesty most of the shooling was fairly boring and looking back as a resident, a lot of it was pointless (except physiology, anatomy, pharm and some clinical rotations).

As for a social life, I had an incredible time and this may be an exception

1st year: had a girlfriend still in college, about 1 hour away so i made it there at least once or twice a week and usually ended up hanging out with my buddies from undergrad who were still there

2nd year: went out at least Thursday/Friday/Saturday night most weeks and usually monday night during football season. We had a beer pong table in our living room in case we were home.

3rd year: A bit busier schedule and less flexibility but still managed to go out a decent amount -- just generally more tired since sleep was the first thing sacrificed.

4th year: Went out about 4-5 nights a week, some afternoons if the weather was nice.

Also managed to keep my undergrad girlfriend, get married right before graduation, and do some mountain bike racing on the side.
Not too bad.

now residency on the other hand...

thehomez66 said:
Next time could you please put the "j/k" at the begging of the post so when i'm reading it i'm not thinking "what school does drpharaoh go to, i hope its not the one i'm going to, how do they handle 60 hrs of lecture a week, etc." :scared:

I think all of us naive people would greatly appreciate it lol :thumbup:

j/k I go to HMS - Hell Medical School - j/k

Better? :D

DrPharaohX said:
j/k I go to HMS - Hell Medical School - j/k

Better? :D

haha, thanks, my heart appreciates it :)

Blue Scrub said:
Sweet! Doesnt sound too bad...but I guess I'll have to wait until I get there :) Thanks!
It will still seem pretty bad until you adjust. It's a lot of work, but once you get time management and "high yield" down, there will be plenty of free time.

coop27 said:
I would put med school in that category. Not necessarily the school part of it but the period of time. In all honesty most of the shooling was fairly boring and looking back as a resident, a lot of it was pointless (except physiology, anatomy, pharm and some clinical rotations).

As for a social life, I had an incredible time and this may be an exception

1st year: had a girlfriend still in college, about 1 hour away so i made it there at least once or twice a week and usually ended up hanging out with my buddies from undergrad who were still there

2nd year: went out at least Thursday/Friday/Saturday night most weeks and usually monday night during football season. We had a beer pong table in our living room in case we were home.

3rd year: A bit busier schedule and less flexibility but still managed to go out a decent amount -- just generally more tired since sleep was the first thing sacrificed.

4th year: Went out about 4-5 nights a week, some afternoons if the weather was nice.

Also managed to keep my undergrad girlfriend, get married right before graduation, and do some mountain bike racing on the side.
Not too bad.

now residency on the other hand...

what