does anyone know a good EM "burn" clerkship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daiphon

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all...

so, i'm an m3 who's decided on emergency medicine as my specialty... however, i pretty much only have the time on med/surg spent in the ER under my belt... i'm looking for m4 clerkship programs that anyone's gone to that teach pretty well and grade more on improvement and competence than on "could this student start working here tomorrow." my school doesn't have a good EM clerkship, so i'm gonna have to burn one of my aways to a) get my rec letter and b) learn how to do this stuff much better than i do currently.

any thoughts?

(and, i thought about posting this in the EM residency forum, but thought that it would fit better in here, as this is a question regarding clerkships).

-dai

Members don't see this ad.

I did my only EM elective as a fourth year away at Denver Health. I got great teaching, really learned to manage my own patients, and got a great letter of recommendation. There are lots of similar rotations around the country. Look for one at well established EM program where you can get a great letter and where students get a lot of autonomy to work like interns. Cook County in your area might be similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
HI,

.....i'm a MS-4 at CCOM and completed my 4th year EM rotations at Resurrection Medical Center, Cook County Hospital & my own Home school. Resurrection was a good learning experience with the MS-4 acting as a sub-I. You get to manage critical patients with an Attending and definitely become a master in interpretng EKGs and ACS algorithms by the time you're done with the rotation. The didactics is strong with all students getting 1/2 day off before a day of classes every week of the rotation. The medical student director Dr. Steve Chistos is an excellent teacher & mentor. You also get to attend resident lectures in addition to participation at Journal Clubs. And yes, you get a good letter at the end of the rotation.

....I got the best letter though at Cook County Hospital. Dr. Rebecca Roberts, Dr. Moses Lee & Dr. David Harter like to teach and are great to work with. I do not think I learnt as much as at Resurrection, maybe it was just the shifts i had.......

....Best of luck....

Ahmed

Originally posted by Daiphon
hey all...

so, i'm an m3 who's decided on emergency medicine as my specialty... however, i pretty much only have the time on med/surg spent in the ER under my belt... i'm looking for m4 clerkship programs that anyone's gone to that teach pretty well and grade more on improvement and competence than on "could this student start working here tomorrow." my school doesn't have a good EM clerkship, so i'm gonna have to burn one of my aways to a) get my rec letter and b) learn how to do this stuff much better than i do currently.

any thoughts?

(and, i thought about posting this in the EM residency forum, but thought that it would fit better in here, as this is a question regarding clerkships).

-dai

I did two EM elective months. One at Einstein in Philly (4 year program) and a second at the Univ of MD (3 year program). The Univ of MD program was better organized. We had our own SEPARATE student lectures throughout the month (including cadaver labs and splint labs), and we could handle as muhc as we wanted to (including critically ill patients). I would highly recommend that rotation! Their grand rounds lectures are also top-notch.

I would recommend my program, USF, too, because, well, it is my program, and two, since we are such a new program, there will only be 12 residents total if you rotated here next year. You are pretty much acting as a sub-I and can see any and all patients in the ED if you want. A very good learning experience, IMHO.

Also it might be beneficial to post a similar thread in the EM forums because there is pretty high traffic over there, you may get more opinions.

Q, DO

Nadeem - already plan on heading to resurrection (i grew up not too far from there)... actually, res is pretty high on my list already...

quinn - would've posted there sooner, but am still reeling from the revelation of your true gender. d=) will cross-post later today... thanks for the advice, will probably look into usf...

-d

Maricopa County supposedly has an excellent "burn" rotation. Check it out.

Come one Towelie, how long has it been since you've had a good "burn?" Twenty, thirty seconds?