Does anyone know about Gen Surg at Emory?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kabbie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you go to Emory or did a subI at Emory, did you like it? Were the residents happy? Overworked? Is it malignant? I've been hearing not so great stuff about it from multiple people in multiple other specialities, but nothing in surgery.

Also - does anyone know about the situation at Grady? I heard that it was on the verge of closing for financial reasons, but then was bought out by a non-for-profit org so it could stay open. However, a very recent article in the NY Times said that they are still having problems. I would just hate to go down there and have it close halfway through residency.

Any input would be great. Thanks.:D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm fairly confident Grady will be OK. They've been in dire financial straits for a while - just like virtually every other county hospital in this country. Recently they've had to rely on increased state-approved funding, and are now more aggressively soliciting donations as well.

The thing is, there's no way the other Atlanta hospitals could ever take all of Grady's patients, were it to close. You're talking close to 1000 patients - mainly indigent, and uninsured/underinsured. And this doesn't take into account the ridiculously busy ER and the fact that Grady's the only Level 1 trauma center within the city.

I think Grady, the city and state will do whatever it takes to keep the place open. It'd be like suggesting closing down LA County, Cook County (Chicago), Jackson Memorial (Florida), Detroit Receiving, etc. A comparable hospital, Charity (New Orleans), closed recently but that's only because of Hurricane Katrina.

Are you applying to G Surg this year? Or thinking about it?

Are you applying to G Surg this year? Or thinking about it?

Thanks for the advice about Grady. I would hate to commit to residency at Emory and have it close in two years.

I'm applying for Gen Surg this year. I actually have my interview at Emory this Saturday. Do you have any advice about the program? I know that it's extremely prestigious, but do you know if the residents are happy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice about Grady. I would hate to commit to residency at Emory and have it close in two years.

I'm applying for Gen Surg this year. I actually have my interview at Emory this Saturday. Do you have any advice about the program? I know that it's extremely prestigious, but do you know if the residents are happy?

Blade28 would know.

Are you going to the reception/dinner on Friday?