Does anyone know about this?-NYS license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyestar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok! I am applying for NYS license, decided not to use fcvs (didn't have money plus i am not switching states anytime soon, local grad from NYC med school).
Now here's the problem. The application is so freaking long, complicated with poor instructions.
It says that i have to fill out a separate application for postgraduate training (need atleast 1yr) and the PD has to sign the form atleast one month prior to completion from that hospital. Now i did my transitional 2004-5, now starting categorical in july. WHat the hell? So i have 1yr but i can't get the form signed now?? Don't understand this.

Now the reason i started this app is every ***g form i am filling out is asking for my license, esp. the hospital where i am going to be starting and i passed step3, so i said why not? Now what do you with that postgrad training form?? I know i could call NYS license board, but already tried it, waited 45 min, line got cut off, so not doing it again.
Any body who has applied for nyS LICENSE without fcvs, help :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

eyestar said:
ok! I am applying for NYS license, decided not to use fcvs (didn't have money plus i am not switching states anytime soon, local grad from NYC med school).
Now here's the problem. The application is so freaking long, complicated with poor instructions.
It says that i have to fill out a separate application for postgraduate training (need atleast 1yr) and the PD has to sign the form atleast one month prior to completion from that hospital. Now i did my transitional 2004-5, now starting categorical in july. WHat the hell? So i have 1yr but i can't get the form signed now?? Don't understand this.

Now the reason i started this app is every ***g form i am filling out is asking for my license, esp. the hospital where i am going to be starting and i passed step3, so i said why not? Now what do you with that postgrad training form?? I know i could call NYS license board, but already tried it, waited 45 min, line got cut off, so not doing it again.
Any body who has applied for nyS LICENSE without fcvs, help :scared:

You can definitely get the form signed at this point, you are getting caught up in the "no more than a month prior" legalese which translates in English into - "we won't accept this form if it's submitted prior to the 11th month of your intern year, but after that it's all good." Not using the FCVS is a total pain in the a**, but doable (I did it), and it seems like the people in the graduate education offices are more used to the forms than we are, so they generally are very efficient at processing the requests for signatures. Good luck, it takes another 8-12 weeks for the license to arrive, then BAM 2 years from now you get to fork over another $410 for a renewal of your license.

MBK2003

why do you need a NY license for residency. i tht they didnt need it for training.
of course, job/fellowship is another matter

coolbabe76 said:
why do you need a NY license for residency. i tht they didnt need it for training.
of course, job/fellowship is another matter

That's my dilemma too. I thought i didn't have to do it till i finish my residency, but the academy app, my program keep asking about it. So may be MBK2003 can answer this.

MBK2003 said:
You can definitely get the form signed at this point, you are getting caught up in the "no more than a month prior" legalese which translates in English into - "we won't accept this form if it's submitted prior to the 11th month of your intern year, but after that it's all good." Not using the FCVS is a total pain in the a**, but doable (I did it), and it seems like the people in the graduate education offices are more used to the forms than we are, so they generally are very efficient at processing the requests for signatures. Good luck, it takes another 8-12 weeks for the license to arrive, then BAM 2 years from now you get to fork over another $410 for a renewal of your license.

MBK2003

Thank you MBK2003, so when did you do it? Can you believe the discrepancy in application fee? $735 for NY but only $100 something for PA, some states its less than $100.
Isn't that a ripoff? So MBK2003, i am assuming from your id that you got NYC license so how much is the renewal after the $735 fee?
thanks

You dont need a full license to do residency. check the website. I have a full license for NY took about two weeks after paperwork sent in. :)

I needed a NYS license in my field (psychiatry) during PGY-2 for a variety of reasons. The three top reasons are

1) I need to have a NYS license number to complete the legal paperwork accepting an involuntarily committed patient onto the inpatient unit

2) I need a NYS license number to sign a physician certification for involuntary admission (PC)

3) I need a NYS license number to moonlight (even within the institution) because I can't complete the 9.39 form (emergency 72 hour hold) without a valid NYS license

Not sure about fields other than psych, but having your license has made things much easier - having my own DEA pads for triplicate prescriptions is reason enough in my mind - no more begging nursing/clinic staff for the institutional ones 3-4 at a time :)

First application fee $735 (your GME office may reimburse the fee), and first renewal is $410.

MBK2003

so wud you say that even if one s program didnt need a license , one wud still be better off with it by second year?

coolbabe76 said:
so wud you say that even if one s program didnt need a license , one wud still be better off with it by second year?

For me personally, it was better to do it earlier simply because of my tendency to procrastinate. Having it during PGY-2 made the whole process of getting a DEA license, getting credentialed for moonlighting, & applying for fellowships much easier because I already had the slip of paper. It's a painful bit of paperwork to deal with, but if you have the free weekend 4 hr block, or a nice cushy elective month it's worth the time. Since most GME depts will reimburse it's also helpful to get it early so that they will pay for your 1st renewal as well.

MBK2003

did they use fcvs for you or did you go without it ?
cos i am an img and this thing is going to be painful whenever i do it :scared:

Thank you MBK2003. It is interesting when u mentioned that some depts. can reimburse the renewal fee, i will check it out, although unlikely in mine.
Now ur reasons make sense why my program would ask for my step3 and license, i guess, they figure its better to have it for various reasons.

Now as for coolbabe76, MBK2003 didn't use fcvs, and since u are an img, i would suggest u use fcvs. NY for example DOES NOT accept applications from img withut fcvs and so are many states. I guess california is the only one that doesn't use fcvs, not sure about cali. But for img, fcvs is almost a must from what i read.

2 questions:
1. What I am getting from this... FCVS is a waste of money if you are a US grad? Right?

2. Does anyone know about the courses we have to take for NYS license? Abuse Identification Reporting and Infection Control and Barrier Precautions. Has anyone found the easiest or cheapest way to take them?

The hospital I'm going to in July requires it from all PGY2+'s now b/c of the whole medicare/aid need for a license number for all scripts I think. But they reimburse for the cost :)