Does anyone know any school that don't accept community college course work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtran95

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I am very frustrating for the application now. I am very afraid my application will be turned in late. I took my DAT two weeks ago, and almost done with my personal statement. My score in AA/TS/PAT was 19/20/19 and my GPA is around 3.4(include ucla and community college). I am searching for dental schools that I think I might get a chance. So far, I have Boston, USC, UOP, UCSF, Western, NYU, Loma Linda, Creighton, and Temple. I intend to apply to 20 schools. However, I finished my biology, chemistry, physics and English at a community college then transferred to University of California, Los Angeles and earn a Biology B.S. I took some science at ucla such as microbilogy with lab, biochem with lab, physics and sciece that were required for my major. I just found out that Tuft doesn't accept community college course works. Does anyone know any other school that don't accept community college course work so I don't have to waste time and money? Also does anyone have any suggestion about the school that I should apply with that GPA and DAT scores and my dentistry experience? I really need help in this
Many thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i think i remember reading on these forums somewhere that BU doesn't accept cc work either... but double check that. gluck!

i think i remember reading on these forums somewhere that BU doesn't accept cc work either... but double check that. gluck!
I just checked with BU admission office. They said it's better to take the pre-requisite course at a 4 year college. However, they still consider your application. It's just less competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone! I am very frustrating for the application now. I am very afraid my application will be turned in late. I took my DAT two weeks ago, and almost done with my personal statement. My score in AA/TS/PAT was 19/20/19 and my GPA is around 3.4(include ucla and community college). I am searching for dental schools that I think I might get a chance. So far, I have Boston, USC, UOP, UCSF, Western, NYU, Loma Linda, Creighton, and Temple. I intend to apply to 20 schools. However, I finished my biology, chemistry, physics and English at a community college then transferred to University of California, Los Angeles and earn a Biology B.S. I took some science at ucla such as microbilogy with lab, biochem with lab, physics and sciece that were required for my major. I just found out that Tuft doesn't accept community college course works. Does anyone know any other school that don't accept community college course work so I don't have to waste time and money? Also does anyone have any suggestion about the school that I should apply with that GPA and DAT scores and my dentistry experience? I really need help in this
Many thanks
I am in exactly the same situation as you!! 2.5yrs in CC and 2yrs in UCB :)
I will apply both NYU and BU although it says CC courseworks would count as less competitive. Let's just give it a try :D

Good luck w/ your app!!!

Hey..
M in the same boat..i did the first 1.5 yrs in a cc and the last 2 yrs at UCI.. do u just get your transcripts from your cc sent to aadsas or is there a specific format that is needed ?
Thanks in adv.

I know that UB, Temple, and U of P don't accept Pre-req's from a com. college.

Another quick q..
I wont be getting my summer school grades till mid-oct. Is it okay to turn in the app. and transcripts with 1 pending score? And update it when i get the transcript??

[waiting for the transcript with all the grades on there will be toooooo late]

Please advise on what I should do..
10q

I know that UB, Temple, and U of P don't accept Pre-req's from a com. college.

NOT true for UoP. here's the direct quote from their website.
"Limitation on Community College Work: Courses taken at a community college will be acceptable if they are transferable as equivalent to predental courses at a four-year college."

not true... temple and BU does accept community college work!! only school that does not allow is TUFTS

not true... temple and BU does accept community college work!! only school that does not allow is TUFTS

Temple I know for a fact doesn't accept community college work, this is listed on the ADEA's official guide book. The other two schools, UB and UPenn is what they told me over the phone when I asked them about coursework from a com. College.

I am in exactly the same situation as you!! 2.5yrs in CC and 2yrs in UCB :)
I will apply both NYU and BU although it says CC courseworks would count as less competitive. Let's just give it a try :D

Good luck w/ your app!!!

I talked to NYU and they said they accept CC courseworks. I had some pre-req courses at CC too.

I talked to NYU and they said they accept CC courseworks. I had some pre-req courses at CC too.

NYU accepts cc courses. I had friends who took pre-req's at CC and they got admission last year. I think DAT scores can tell them how good you are especially if you have taken courses at CC.

Howard doesn't take any. I was told this over the phone.

Many thanks

I had the same situation last year. I applied to Detroit Mercy even though it said on their website that those classes shouldn't be all taken at a 2 yr college, but I still got in. I say give it a try. If you have other stuff on your application, it won't be a big deal. However, if all you have on your application is classes and DAT, it could be a problem.
Good Luck. I believe "if it's meant to be, you'll get in no matter what!" All I got last year was one interview at the end of february after I lost hope, and I got in.
Make sure you have a good/strong/true personal statement too.

according to Temple website:
"Completion of a minimum of 90 semester hours from an accredited college or university is required for admission."

-are you sure about howard?

Hey..
M in the same boat..i did the first 1.5 yrs in a cc and the last 2 yrs at UCI.. do u just get your transcripts from your cc sent to aadsas or is there a specific format that is needed ?
Thanks in adv.
I attached the transcript matching form and tell my CC to send it with the official transcript to aadsas. However, I haven't e-submitted my application yet because I haven't finished my personal statement.