Does anyone know anything about Charles Drew Medical School in L.A.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drmoon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see a website, but it doesn't seem to be listed in any of the books I have. Are they only interested in African American students?

Members don't see this ad.

It is a school that is associated with UCLA med school. There are either 24 or 25 spots available (can't member which) and they generally tend to only accept minority students (not necessarily black).

The school is aimed at creating primary care doctors who are dedicated to giving back to underserved communities.
Generally they accept students with a lower gpa/mcat score than other medical schools however they require that the student has shown a strong dedication to giving back to their community. The school is located in south central LA and is associated with one of the busiest hospitals (MLK hospital).

I applied to Drew on my primary application but didn't receive any communication from them since. I received a UCLA secondary, does Drew also use the UCLA secondary as their secondary???

Members don't see this ad :)
No. The two schools are completely seperate entities.

btw,

although the majority of their class is filled by minorities, if one has shown a commitent to work with the underserved, there is opportunity. i got an interview and i am just some white guy from alaska that lived in ecuador for eight months.

this program is unique and has a great mission. if you want to work with the underserved in a larger city, this program is for you. also, they do accept about 50 folks to fill those 24 spots.