Does anyone know average board scores for TExas med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rohanahl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the board schools for UT-houston, UT-southwestern, Baylor? Also, any experiences at these school, regrets or anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
rohanahl said:
Does anyone know the board schools for UT-houston, UT-southwestern, Baylor? Also, any experiences at these school, regrets or anything?

If I remember correctly from my UT Southwestern interview packet, I think the average board step 1 (first time takers) for UTSW was ~229. The trend was that the average seemed to be rising every year and that UTSW scored at least 10 over the national average. Same with step 2.

I'm sure Baylor's is similar if not better. And a student I talked to at UT-H said theirs were average.

UT-Houston's average for the class of 2007 was in the 220's. You can score very well going to any of these schools if you put in the time. Most schools do not teach directly to the boards anyway so you'll have to put in the time no matter where you end up. Go where you fit in, you'll be miserable otherwise.

TTU's was crap last yr (I'm not even going to post it), but it was a class anomaly and that class has had a few testing issues since they got here. We're uesually at or above national avg.

I'll take this opportunity to again advocate my Step 1/MCAT ratio as the true test of how well a school prepares students for Step 1. Baylor and UT-Southwestern will average a few points higher on Step 1 than UT-Houston, UT-San Antonio, Texas A&M and Texas Tech because they accept people who, on the average, have higher MCAT scores. It doesn't necessarily correlate to better teaching so much as it does to admitting better test takers/smarter individuals. All schools will have the outliers who score above 260 and all schools will prepare you to score well if you apply yourself.

My point is, don't think that just because a school boasts higher USMLE scores that you will receive better teaching/training there.