Does anyone know how SN2ed's MCAT study schedule compares to the free 10-wk EK?

Mar 15, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Question is basically in the topic.

Does anyone know if the two are comparable? I am considering re-taking, so I just wanted to weigh study plan options. Thanks bunches!

LostInStudy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
They're a tiny bit familiar but I like SN2's schedule much better. I haven't done the schedule but if I were to make a schedule based on everything I've read over my years on sdn, I think it would be very similar to SN2's schedule with only a few differences.

However, you can't treat the schedules the same. The EK schedule is made for either someone who knows the material really well already and doesn't have much time per day. I think it's important though that you have to already have a solid foundation to do that schedule because they don't include much practice problems at all. They have a few tests in the end but I just don't think it's enough. Also, towards the end there are just too many breaks. You should absolutely be well rested to do well but I think they have you take only 2 FLs in the last 2 weeks which I absolutely don't agree with. Also, they have you take AAMC FLs throughout while you're doing content review which, in my experience, is an absolute no-no. The last few AAMCs should be done at the last 2-3 weeks so you can worry about question style and test taking skills, at that point content review should be well behind you.

Getting back on topic, I really like SN2's schedule because it does provide sufficient practice, even though I'm not a huge fan of rereading chapter but it's helped a few people who've used it so I guess it does work for some people.

The only time I would recommend the EK schedule would be if you just got your scores back and did SN2's schedule already and scored below your average and now are gearing for a retake. The EK schedule just isn't intense enough for the average student. It is fine however for the situation I described above or for someone who has a super solid foundation and is reasonably smart.

Hope this helps,

-LIS

MegaSpectacular

Removed
Dec 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
They're a tiny bit familiar but I like SN2's schedule much better. I haven't done the schedule but if I were to make a schedule based on everything I've read over my years on sdn, I think it would be very similar to SN2's schedule with only a few differences.

However, you can't treat the schedules the same. The EK schedule is made for either someone who knows the material really well already and doesn't have much time per day. I think it's important though that you have to already have a solid foundation to do that schedule because they don't include much practice problems at all. They have a few tests in the end but I just don't think it's enough. Also, towards the end there are just too many breaks. You should absolutely be well rested to do well but I think they have you take only 2 FLs in the last 2 weeks which I absolutely don't agree with. Also, they have you take AAMC FLs throughout while you're doing content review which, in my experience, is an absolute no-no. The last few AAMCs should be done at the last 2-3 weeks so you can worry about question style and test taking skills, at that point content review should be well behind you.

Getting back on topic, I really like SN2's schedule because it does provide sufficient practice, even though I'm not a huge fan of rereading chapter but it's helped a few people who've used it so I guess it does work for some people.

The only time I would recommend the EK schedule would be if you just got your scores back and did SN2's schedule already and scored below your average and now are gearing for a retake. The EK schedule just isn't intense enough for the average student. It is fine however for the situation I described above or for someone who has a super solid foundation and is reasonably smart.

Hope this helps,

-LIS
agreed.

SN2's is based upon SDN consensus, it is a grab bag of the best material in each section. It is thorough and quality.