Does anyone know how to get licensed in Dubai?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khurram

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into Dubai as a second option incase things dont work out here.

Does anyone know the process of how to get licensed there? is it hard to do?
I already have a visa to live there because I own a villa on "the palm" island so that grants me a visa to live and work there.

If anyone could give me any info regarding it I would really appreciate it. I've looked high and low and have gotten very mixed answers.
Please let me know

Thanks
Khurram

Members don't see this ad.

Khurram said:

I already have a visa to live there because I own a villa on "the palm" island so that grants me a visa to live and work there.

If anyone could give me any info regarding it I would really appreciate it. I've looked high and low and have gotten very mixed answers.
Please let me know

Thanks
Khurram
hey khurram you need a local sponsorer to practise even though you clear their local exams.You should have someone who can vouch for you and your practise.which means that you will be working for him for a percentage.You can live and work but not with dentistry unless you fulfil the above criteria.this criteria is for the private practitioners not for the government jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
A villa!

U arent in the profession for the material benefits Im sure!

meverick said:
hey khurram you need a local sponsorer to practise even though you clear their local exams.You should have someone who can vouch for you and your practise.which means that you will be working for him for a percentage.You can live and work but not with dentistry unless you fulfil the above criteria.this criteria is for the private practitioners not for the government jobs.

Hey, thanks for the info..i do have mulitple people there who could sponsor me. They dont have to be dentists right? just native uae residents correct?

That shouldn't be a problem...im' jus looking at it as a second option in case things dont work out here, but hopefully they will...i'm jus really interested in living in dubai..I love the place.

ckvk said:
A villa!

U arent in the profession for the material benefits Im sure!

Lol, Yeah i'm not really in it for the money as I come from a well off family(by allah's grace) although it is definetly an incentive and more so I want to make and earn my own living instead of just living off of my parents.

The villa is still under construction but it's gonna to be very beautiful...it was puchased as sort of a gift from my parents because they eventually want me to live closer to them (they are in pakistan) instead of all the way over here in the states..so who knows maybe a couple years after getting a dds from here and making a living on my own I might move there.

BlueToothHunter said:
Wow! It sounds like you are a little real estate tycoon! You own a property in Dubai? You're a millionaire? I guess dentistry is just a hobby now, eh?

Here's the link. Enjoy:

http://www.uae.gov.ae/moh/dental.htm

Thanks a lot for the link I appreciate it

Hi Khurram

Even I was contemplating the same thing....
I was in Dubai for a week last month and I talked to an orthodontist there...his advice was to complete DDS and then come to Dubai to practice dentistry..He said that ppl in Dubai give a lot of importance to western degrees.He gave an example: An Indian/Pak BDS will earn abt 5000 dirhams per month and an American/Canadian DDS will earn abt 35000 dirhams per month!So u do the math and decide.
He is an MDS ortho from North India and was saying that he earns less than 10,000 dirhams per month(which was kinda sad!)
And ya..u need to get a sponsor..am not sure if the sponsor should be a dentist..but one good thing is that in Dubai, one need not write a qualifying exam to work under someone.You have to just attend an interview and you should have minimum 6 yrs of work experience (including residency).
Hope this helps and good luck!

rtvj said:
Hi Khurram

Even I was contemplating the same thing....
I was in Dubai for a week last month and I talked to an orthodontist there...his advice was to complete DDS and then come to Dubai to practice dentistry..He said that ppl in Dubai give a lot of importance to western degrees.He gave an example: An Indian/Pak BDS will earn abt 5000 dirhams per month and an American/Canadian DDS will earn abt 35000 dirhams per month!So u do the math and decide.
He is an MDS ortho from North India and was saying that he earns less than 10,000 dirhams per month(which was kinda sad!)
And ya..u need to get a sponsor..am not sure if the sponsor should be a dentist..but one good thing is that in Dubai, one need not write a qualifying exam to work under someone.You have to just attend an interview and you should have minimum 6 yrs of work experience (including residency).
Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks for the info...
6 years of expereince that's quite a lot.. i mean i have one year from my house job...and thats about it..unless they count the two years of dds from here? ...so basically a fresh DDS grad from the states could not go and work there straight away? you'd still need six years?
What if you wanted to work with some one? Would it still be the same?

Khurram said:
Hey, thanks for the info..i do have mulitple people there who could sponsor me. They dont have to be dentists right? just native uae residents correct?

That shouldn't be a problem...im' jus looking at it as a second option in case things dont work out here, but hopefully they will...i'm jus really interested in living in dubai..I love the place.
it should be a citizen who has to sponsor you not necessarily a dentist.so dubai guys best of luck.

Khurram..i am not sure but i remember vaguely the ortho guy telling me that u can work under someone in Dubai till u complete 6 or 7 yrs and then start on ur own.
Also one more thing he said was though Dubai doesnt need any qualifying exam,there is an exam which one takes at abudhabi and if u pass it, u can practice anywhere in the UAE.

Khurram said:
Thanks for the info...
6 years of expereince that's quite a lot.. i mean i have one year from my house job...and thats about it..unless they count the two years of dds from here? ...so basically a fresh DDS grad from the states could not go and work there straight away? you'd still need six years?
What if you wanted to work with some one? Would it still be the same?

Khurram said:
Lol, Yeah i'm not really in it for the money as I come from a well off family(by allah's grace) although it is definetly an incentive and more so I want to make and earn my own living instead of just living off of my parents.

The villa is still under construction but it's gonna to be very beautiful...it was puchased as sort of a gift from my parents because they eventually want me to live closer to them (they are in pakistan) instead of all the way over here in the states..so who knows maybe a couple years after getting a dds from here and making a living on my own I might move there.

Hey Khurram,

U r one lucky guy!

All the best for ur future endeavours.

ckvk

Khurram said:

Please let me know

Thanks
Khurram
hey khurram u are thinking like me as my family lives there there it is like this that there is moh exams held in abu dhabi and dubai it is written test and viva and practicals u pass and u get a moh license so u can work any where these exams are held inmay and sept we read national board material for the exams so as i think that visit there after giving ndbe 1 and appear..and there is one exam in dubai u pass and u get work permit for only dubai . now as per new rule u dont need sponcer to work .but now bds people are not accepted as they get enough mds for jobs so better do dds and go for private practice u need uae experience not for job after dds this is recently what i heard from a dentist friend there open for any corrections

Man, ur lucky! I saw the palm island thing on PBS... and the only 6 star hotel in the world!?! I have a cousin from Dubai, i can't wait till he gets engaged/married so i got an excuse to go there and showcase my bhangra moves, lol! :D

Actually, come to think of it... why doesn't ur family donate a new gym to Harvard or something. That way u get a great education and people won't ask u twice about ur visa... :laugh:

BabberSher said:
Man, ur lucky! I saw the palm island thing on PBS... and the only 6 star hotel in the world!?! I have a cousin from Dubai, i can't wait till he gets engaged/married so i got an excuse to go there and showcase my bhangra moves, lol! :D

Actually, come to think of it... why doesn't ur family donate a new gym to Harvard or something. That way u get a great education and people won't ask u twice about ur visa... :laugh:
HA HA:) THATS SO FUNNY