Does anyone know or know where i can find out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

THE TODD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows of any States that offer resedency after only one year where there is a State dental school that gives preference to the in state residents. I'm on my second go around applying. I applied trying to get in after three years and didn't succeed. I just graduated in December after 3.5 years in Biology. I have 3.3 sci gpa and a 3.4 overall. a 20/19/21 DAT score. I want to be a dentist and this year isn't lookin' very good. I am more than willing to move to another state. does anyone have any information on where I could try?

Members don't see this ad.

In most cases, if you work for a year, obtain a drivers license and pay taxes for a year you are considered a state res. I'm sure each state has there own loopholes to jump through, but if you are willing to hold off on d-school for a while, you can most definitely gain resdincy in any state if you want it. Personally, I would either gain residency in TX or CA given that those two states have the most d-schools and highly prefer state residents, although the downside is they are all pretty competitive. Move to Missisippi, GA, or LA. These three schools have the lowest number of applicants/ seat and overall for that matter, and I believe they don't take any out of staters.

Two schools that come to my mind are West Virginia and Kentucky.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I'd agree with sumluck about GA and Mississippi.

hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows of any States that offer resedency after only one year where there is a State dental school that gives preference to the in state residents. I'm on my second go around applying. I applied trying to get in after three years and didn't succeed. I just graduated in December after 3.5 years in Biology. I have 3.3 sci gpa and a 3.4 overall. a 20/19/21 DAT score. I want to be a dentist and this year isn't lookin' very good. I am more than willing to move to another state. does anyone have any information on where I could try?

If you don't care where you want to end up and spend a year in that state in order to claim residency, then why not maximize your chances? Move to a state that has the most dental (State) schools, do your time, and then apply to them. Visit www.dentalschools.com to see a list of schools by state (with links to each). In this site you will see which state has the most number of public dental schools. I think Texas has the most (Baylor - which is part of the TX A&M System, UTHSC_SA, and UTHSC_Houston), followed by California (UCSF and UCLA) and New York (Buffalo and Stony Brook).

Good luck.

I was wondering the same thing. Any more info on this would be great. Anyone?

For UIC . . .

What do I, an independent student, have to do to become an Illinois resident for tuition purposes?
The University of Illinois requires that you be a bona fide resident of Illinois for one calendar year prior to the term for which you are applying for resident status. The University's requirements to establish residency may be different than other Illinois institutions of higher education or government agencies. Bona fide residency involves being gainfully employed and actually living in the state for one year, and taking other specific actions which link you to the state of Illinois. It also requires that you reside in Illinois primarily for reasons that are not related to receiving an education. It's important that actions be completed before the beginning of the term in which you are attempting to establish residency.

What is meant by gainful employment?
Gainful employment means that you earn income and file and pay taxes in Illinois on income sufficient to meet one-half of tuition, fees and normal living expenses for a one-year period. Loans from parents or support from a relative in Illinois does not constitute self-sufficiency or gainful employment, for example. Employment during the summer terms alone does not fulfill either gainful employment or the one-year requirement.

I would recommend CA or TX because they have the most schools though . . .