Does anyone regret not filling out a secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

[email protected]

M0DE 01
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I never filled out the secondary for UMN twin cities. I dont know why I didnt. Mostly lazyness I guess. Anyway just venting.

StringerBell

It's the final countdown!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never filled out the secondary for UMN twin cities. I dont know why I didnt. Mostly lazyness I guess. Anyway just venting.

Sometimes it just happens. I didn't do 3 of my secondaries, but mostly because when I received them, the instructions said that out-of-state acceptances were very few and far between. And since I'm no stellar applicant, I decided to forego applying. And yeah, laziness also has something to do with it. :)

I did end up doing 21 secondaries (MD and DO) overall, though. So hopefully I get some love, somewhere!

Shpamme

status pages confuse me.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The few schools I did get interviews at I ended up liking a LOT, and I feel really fortunate for that. I'd be thrilled to go to one of them in particular. But I'm still waitlisted, so sigh..YES, I regret not filling a few more secondaries just to be safe (Albany, Case, and Pittsburgh in particular) I just got too tired and discouraged, because by December I hadn't gotten an interview yet--so I was seriously contemplating giving up and didn't end up filling out more secondaries.

I also regret not initially applying to more schools, like MCW and Miami. I didn't even know about these schools somehow. Serves me right for not getting a MSAR or some sort of guidance..or for not being a avid SDN reader before the app cycle. I also had no idea you could add more schools to your AMCAS until the deadlines for each respective school. So..you're definitely not alone.

Quix

Herr Professor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I ended up not filling out the secondaries for four schools as it was getting too late in the application cycle and I was working on too many projects to devote the time necessary.

Nomemory

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once the rejections started coming in I really lost hope and couldn't bring myself to finish a few of my secondaries. I truly thought that I was wasting my time (my stats are kinda sketchy) and I couldn't manufacture one more drop of optimism or hope.

I regret it now that I've received a couple interviews because I think I could've had a chance at those schools. Live and learn, I guess. :oops:

If I have to reapply next cycle, I'll definitely do a lot of things differently.

Beckie1022

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Duke's secondary came in way later than all of the other ones. It also had like six essays with no maximum number of words. I got an acceptance to another school shortly after I received the secondary, so I never bothered with it, which I don't regret.

HumbleMD

hmmmm...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I regret not going on my OHSU interview, especially after the big rejection from UW. Goodbye Pacific Northwest :( .

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I regret not going on my OHSU secondary, especially after the big rejection from UW. Goodbye Pacific Northwest :( .

I haven't applied yet, but I just wanted to say how much I want to smack you! (Not to be harsh or anything)I want to go to OHSU so so so bad!!!!! Wish me luck for 2008:)

melissainsd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't get the UCI secondary until Dec 1st. By then I was no longer in essay writting mode (plus I am OOS so it was a long shot anyway). I don't know, I sort of feel like it was bad karma though...