Does anyone think I'll have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cckd2005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just get all A's from now on in your pre-reqs and get some crazy DAT score and you'll get in. It's pretty simple on paper but pulling it off is the tough part. Good luck!

Anything is possible and you are in charge of your own future. You know what it takes and you know where you currently are. If you believe that you can take all the classes and do really well, you probably can. You just have to realize that you may have to try harder than others and sacrifice a lot to get there. You have a long road ahead..but you can do it if you put in the effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's going to take a lot of focus to pull off a 4.0 for the next 60 credits. But i think you plan is great! Just as some advice, because I think it helped me a lot and gave me something to talk about, initiate and organize a dental excursion to another country (i.e. Mexico) through a charity organization for other predental students at the school you'll be attending. That will show great leadership and dedication to the profession. Good Luck!:luck:

d*mn write shorter messages that people can quickly read...no novels

Work hard. Never killed anyone. Admissions people can see your commitment towards the end of your academic career. You have just as much shot as everyone else. The worst that can happen is they say no. That's what you have to remember. Every kid applying has JUST AS MUCH CHANCE OF GETTING IN AS YOU. If it was all grades we wouldn't be able to apply without having a 3.9, 4 years of shadowing experience, 5 years of dental commitments, loads of community service projects, mission trips every break from school, and created a new way to brush your teeth to increase plaque removal.

that sounds like a great plan...now just carry it out

Hey everyone,

I am about to begin on my journey towards apply for Dental School and wanted to get some opinions on my chances of getting in based on the plan I have below. Please let me know of any additional things I can do to help my application in the next year in a half in addition to my plans below. Thanks!

Background:

I graduated with a BS in Economics two years ago with an overall GPA of a 3.05. I've only taken a few science classes (about 16 hours), all my freshman year (about seven years ago). I wasn't serious about school at the time, so my science GPA is a 2.4 right now. I have since been working in the corporate world since graduation, but am miserable. I have always wanted to go to Dental School, but after my bad experience freshman, figured it was a lost cause and switched majors. I recently made the decision that I will leaving my job and going back to school full time to apply for Dental School.

Plan to get into Dental School:

1.) My goal is to apply for fall 2012 admission in spring 2011.

2.) I am going to return to the university I graduated from and begin taking my pre-reqs, beginning in January. I will be starting from the beginning, including retaking the 16 hours of science that resulted in the low science GPA. My plan is to pursue a 2nd bachelors in Biology or Microbiology.

3.) The classes I will be retaking:
-Bio 1 & 2 plus labs
-Chem 1 & 2 plus labs

4.) The classes I will be taking for the first time:
-Organic 1 & 2
-Physics 1 & 2
-Microbiology
-Biochemistry 1 & 2
-Genetics
-additional Microbio and general Bio courses

5.) I have determined that assuming a 4.0 or close, by the end of the spring 2011 semester, I could have an overall GPA of a 3.3 and science GPA of a 3.6.

6.) I also plan on joining the Predental Society and other health care/dental/service organizations.

6.) I will be spending much time prepping for the DAT once I have completed the science coursework covered on the test. I know with my grades I need a very high DAT score.

7.) I also plan on setting up times to shadow dentists throughout the next year in a half.

8.) I will be performing community services activities as time allows.

Summary:
-I earning a BS in Economics with a 3.05 overall GPA and 2.4 science GPA (only 16 hours)

-I am quitting work and returning to my university full time to take pre-reqs, including retaking all science classes I took before, and will pursue a second bachelors in Biology or Microbiology

-Assuming close a 4.0 in my classes here on out, I can raise my overall GPA to a 3.3 and science GPA to a 3.6. My last 60 hours GPA would be at or just below a 4.0.

-I also will be focusing on a very strong DAT score, dentist shadowing, and leadership/service.

Assuming I can raise my GPA to a 3.3 overall/3.6 science with coursework in a 2nd bachelors and achieve a high DAT score, how are my prospects for getting in? The overall GPA would still be considerably lower. Do schools take into account a trend of higher grades in recent semesters in light of bad grades earlier in one's academic career?

Any thoughts, opinions, criticism or advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!!

I think you could do it in 2 years, not 4.

Return to school and take all pre-reqs in the first two years, applying the end of your 2nd year. Kick ass in your pre-reqs and make SURE to write in your personal statements about your miserable freshman year GPA, and your NEW science and standard GPAs (based only on your last 2 years) to show your improvement and how serious you are. I hardly think you need to get another bachelors, just finish the pre-reqs and apply.

New plan would be to apply in the summer of 2010 for the 2011 cycle after two years of schoolwork, taking the DAT that June probably, or as soon as your science classes are done so its fresh.

It is definately possible, esp if you show marked improvement. Do not think you need to raise your total GPA to 3.55, just consider it a fresh start and make that clear in your personal statement, "My GPA since returning to school is 3.8" and BAM.

Good luck

dude...I have an almost identical story (except slightly higher gpa when I "restarted"). I got in after 2 application cycles. I agree with other person, you dont have to wait so long. I applied 1 year after returning to school. Don't get discouraged about all these people with crazy gpa's...i raised my gpa but only to a 3.3. If you have any questions about my personal story and how i made it happen, let me know. PS. I also tried to stay away from this site, just used it when i actually was confused about something as it tended to give me alot of anxiety

4.) The classes I will be taking for the first time:
-Organic 1 & 2
-Physics 1 & 2
-Microbiology
-Biochemistry 1 & 2
-Genetics
-additional Microbio and general Bio courses

Get no lower than a A- in those classes and you're guaranteed a spot assuming you do well on the DATs. Although by the time you apply, the average for acceptances should be more like a 20.5 as opposed to the 19 average right now.

Look it's easy to say you are going to do something, but until u do it u can't really know, but of course if you pull off a GPA over 3.5 and a DAT score over 20, plus shadowing and volunteer work, and if u apply early enough you will definitly get into a few dental schools.