Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Does anyone think I'll have a shot?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by cckd2005, Dec 4, 2008.

1. cckd2005

Pre-Dental
    --

#1 cckd2005, Dec 4, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. xhamburgersamx

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Just get all A's from now on in your pre-reqs and get some crazy DAT score and you'll get in. It's pretty simple on paper but pulling it off is the tough part. Good luck!

4. dentalmagnet

2+ Year Member

Anything is possible and you are in charge of your own future. You know what it takes and you know where you currently are. If you believe that you can take all the classes and do really well, you probably can. You just have to realize that you may have to try harder than others and sacrifice a lot to get there. You have a long road ahead..but you can do it if you put in the effort.

5. DrEagleMike

10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yeah, it's going to take a lot of focus to pull off a 4.0 for the next 60 credits. But i think you plan is great! Just as some advice, because I think it helped me a lot and gave me something to talk about, initiate and organize a dental excursion to another country (i.e. Mexico) through a charity organization for other predental students at the school you'll be attending. That will show great leadership and dedication to the profession. Good Luck!:luck:

6. DROCKINDAHOUSE

DROCKINDAHOUSE UTHSCSA c/o 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    d*mn write shorter messages that people can quickly read...no novels

7. scuzfly

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Work hard. Never killed anyone. Admissions people can see your commitment towards the end of your academic career. You have just as much shot as everyone else. The worst that can happen is they say no. That's what you have to remember. Every kid applying has JUST AS MUCH CHANCE OF GETTING IN AS YOU. If it was all grades we wouldn't be able to apply without having a 3.9, 4 years of shadowing experience, 5 years of dental commitments, loads of community service projects, mission trips every break from school, and created a new way to brush your teeth to increase plaque removal.

8. TheBestDoctor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    that sounds like a great plan...now just carry it out

9. JamesOSU

JamesOSU Ohio State 2013
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think you could do it in 2 years, not 4.

Return to school and take all pre-reqs in the first two years, applying the end of your 2nd year. Kick ass in your pre-reqs and make SURE to write in your personal statements about your miserable freshman year GPA, and your NEW science and standard GPAs (based only on your last 2 years) to show your improvement and how serious you are. I hardly think you need to get another bachelors, just finish the pre-reqs and apply.

New plan would be to apply in the summer of 2010 for the 2011 cycle after two years of schoolwork, taking the DAT that June probably, or as soon as your science classes are done so its fresh.

It is definately possible, esp if you show marked improvement. Do not think you need to raise your total GPA to 3.55, just consider it a fresh start and make that clear in your personal statement, "My GPA since returning to school is 3.8" and BAM.

Good luck

10. midwestbrian

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    dude...I have an almost identical story (except slightly higher gpa when I "restarted"). I got in after 2 application cycles. I agree with other person, you dont have to wait so long. I applied 1 year after returning to school. Don't get discouraged about all these people with crazy gpa's...i raised my gpa but only to a 3.3. If you have any questions about my personal story and how i made it happen, let me know. PS. I also tried to stay away from this site, just used it when i actually was confused about something as it tended to give me alot of anxiety

11. NyCzPeter

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    4.) The classes I will be taking for the first time:
    -Organic 1 & 2
    -Physics 1 & 2
    -Microbiology
    -Biochemistry 1 & 2
    -Genetics
    -additional Microbio and general Bio courses

Get no lower than a A- in those classes and you're guaranteed a spot assuming you do well on the DATs. Although by the time you apply, the average for acceptances should be more like a 20.5 as opposed to the 19 average right now.

12. ramforte

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Look it's easy to say you are going to do something, but until u do it u can't really know, but of course if you pull off a GPA over 3.5 and a DAT score over 20, plus shadowing and volunteer work, and if u apply early enough you will definitly get into a few dental schools.