Does anyone waitlisted ever actually get called to matriculate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

racerx

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, but does anyone that gets waitlisted at a particular school ever really get called to be accepted? I have yet to read of one individual actually converting from waitlist to accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Certainly, although it depends on the school. I've known someone who got off the waitlist for Yale, for example. It varies from school to school, tho, some send so many acceptances out that they don't really need to let names off the waitlist.

-Jas

There's a great thread on this question from last year. I got off the UCSF waitlist in June last year and am a first-year there now. It all depends on the school and the year, but a lot of people are pulled off of waitlists. Ask each particular school what their policy is (i.e., ranked waitlist vs. pool) and how many applicants in a year (on average) are taken from the waitlist. Some schools accept many more students then there a slots - which means people on the waitlist don't see much action - while other schools only give out the number of acceptances for the slots they have and once someone declines, they go to the waitlist. Anyway, I hope that's helpful. Good luck!
-- Becky

Members don't see this ad :)
racerx, do you read the magazine as well?

yeah, there is alot of movement off the waitlist depending on the school. at hopkins they accepted like 50 people off the waitlist.

I think a bunch of people get off the waitlist. The stand-out applicants out there get multiple accepts because each school hopes to matriculate them. Near the end when such students decide where to go, spots start opening up. I know a guy at UCLA med who got off the waitlist and a girl at MCP Hahnemann that also got off the waitlist last year. Again, it depends on the school. Some schools offer 400 accepts to fill a 130 class. Not too many people from such places will got off the waitlist.

Sorry, you lost me. If you are refering to my name, it is a cartoon character from SPEEDRACER.

I kinda got the nickname in my former life. :)

Originally posted by mongoose:
•racerx, do you read the magazine as well?•••

Yigit shouts "YES OF COURSE!"

I had 7 interviews last year...was waitlisted at all but one...got into all of them.

How you like them waitlisted apples?
:) :rolleyes: :oops: :eek: ;) :p

Excellent! Well, that puts my heart as ease!

Originally posted by yigit:
•Yigit shouts "YES OF COURSE!"

I had 7 interviews last year...was waitlisted at all but one...got into all of them.

How you like them waitlisted apples?
:) :rolleyes: :oops: :eek: ;) :p •••

:D

The dean at UCSD likes to tell this story about being accepted off the waitlist.

Several years ago, a woman (from CA) really wanted to go the UCSD, but was waitlisted. She was accepted to some school back in the midwest. She would call each week and then when August rolled around, she would call each day to find out what the situation was in regards to her position on the waitlist, etc. Each day the response was the same, "Call back later, you have not been selected yet". Finally, it was time to go to med school at the other school and she and her father took a couple of days to drive back east. Each night, at the hotel, she would call back to UCSD and get the same response.

When she arrived at the school and was getting ready to enroll, she called again and the last spot had openned up and she accepted and had to repack the car and drive all the way back to CA and enroll in UCSD.

I hope that doesn't have to happen very often, but it is an interesting story about the waitlist process.

Does anyone ever get of the waitlist? ABSOLUTELY YES!! Here at Tufts EVERYONE except for 3 people and a few BA/MD people I've met came in off the waitlist. From the looks of it, nearly everyone who was not in the BA/MD program at Tufts or Brandeis or in the MD/MBA program which starts in the summer came in off the waitlist. This is NOT an exaggeration. I myself got pulled off the waitlist in mid July and know a guy in our class who got in 2 weeks before classes started in late August! It really varies from school to school and year to year. University of Maryland, for example, reportedly took more than half its entering class from the waitlist in 2000, but in 2001 oversubscribed the class in April and didn't take anyone off the waitlist. NYMC took a few scattered people from the WL this year but in 2000 took at least a third of the class from the WL. I should also mention that I got pulled off the WL at SLU as well in mid-July (the day before Tufts took me) and that SLU reportedly takes a huge number of people from the waitlist as well. So definitely do not lose hope!! good luck, and Happy Thanksgiving!

racerx, your name is the same as a truly great magazine. The magazine is a motocross magazine andit is one of the best motocross magazines made. Sorry for confusing ya, but I thought that maybe, just maybe there was another pre-med out there into motocross like I am. Oh well, guess I hafta just keep lookin'.

Sorry. I'm an old (and I mean OLD...LOL) open wheeled road racer. You guys on motorcycles are too nuts for even me! My cajones aren't big enough or made of enough brass to do that.

Originally posted by mongoose:
•racerx, your name is the same as a truly great magazine. The magazine is a motocross magazine andit is one of the best motocross magazines made. Sorry for confusing ya, but I thought that maybe, just maybe there was another pre-med out there into motocross like I am. Oh well, guess I hafta just keep lookin'.•••

:oops: :eek: :confused: ;)