Does anyone want to transfer to UQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

need transfer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my first year at UQ. I hate it here. It is like being back in boarding school only easier. I am a pre med major and I am very bored. It is possible to transfer if the Deans at both schools approve. I am looking for a first year full fee paying international student at a graduate medical program who wants to transfer after the first year. UQ is a nice place. The weather is good. You have lots of free time and can easily work 20 hours/week. You do not need any science background and no international students fail. I want a harder place. I also need US experience for my rotations and electives that I can not get here. If you are struggling in your program or do not like it for some other reason, maybe we can swap. I think I would like Flinders. I have applied to US and Carribean schools. If I get in, which is doubtful, I would lose my first year of credit and then have to wait over half a year to start. If there is anyone out there wanting a swap, let's talk. Please.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know there are a few international students that did fail last year. Why bother saying "pre-med" major? Why not sci degree or something?

I do agree with you on the electives issue however. It seems a little strange that a university that has so heavily marketed itself in North America would not have the foresight to realize most North American students would want to do electives overseas.

However I should point out that this is likely to change at UQ in the near future.

need transfer said:
I am in my first year at UQ. I hate it here. It is like being back in boarding school only easier. I am a pre med major and I am very bored. It is possible to transfer if the Deans at both schools approve. I am looking for a first year full fee paying international student at a graduate medical program who wants to transfer after the first year. UQ is a nice place. The weather is good. You have lots of free time and can easily work 20 hours/week. You do not need any science background and no international students fail. I want a harder place. I also need US experience for my rotations and electives that I can not get here. If you are struggling in your program or do not like it for some other reason, maybe we can swap. I think I would like Flinders. I have applied to US and Carribean schools. If I get in, which is doubtful, I would lose my first year of credit and then have to wait over half a year to start. If there is anyone out there wanting a swap, let's talk. Please.

need transfer said:

While it is possible to transfer if both Deans agree, it is not as simple as in the US, especially for the full fee paying student in Oz. Leaving one uni for another means the first has lost tour tuition $$.

Anecdotally, a classmate of mine attempted this (between Flinders and Syndey) and would told that he would only be allowed to transfer if he could find another full fee paying student at Sydney to change places with him - that way both schools would still have the same amount of $$ coming in.

I think looking for another person to switch with will probably be your best bet, but check with your administration (if you find them helpful and forthcoming) for some suggestions, advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there someone at your school that you can speak to in confidence about how you feel. Any professors that you have built some rapport with and trust? Or an ombudsman? It will likely be tough to arrange for a transfer; and, as you mention, it's also likely a long shot to get an acceptance somewhere else. (Admissions Officers don't look favourably on students who are enrolled at another medical school.) However, there are likely a lot of things you can do to make your experience at UQ much better!!

With a pre-med undergrad, I am sure you are likely finding the science in first year easy which may be contributing to your "boredom" and feelings that the program isn't hard enough. (By the way, what makes you think that jumping ship to a program elsewhere will make your problem go away? Is your problem truly the program at UQ or is it your prior knowledge that is driving your boredom? It is quite possible that you could go through the trouble of changing schools only to find out that you feel the same way at school #2.)

Some examples of how you could make life at UQ more interesting include:

(1) Try to expand your clinical experience. Volunteer for shifts in Emergency at one of the teaching hospitals to shadow a doctor, or arrange an observership with a local GP in Brisbane. The fact that you are a Med Student opens up a lot of doors to gain clinical experience. You don't have to wait for these to be scheduled for you by the school - go out and find some great clinical experiences!! While your classmates are catching up on the science, you could be out building your clinical knowledge and helping patients in the process.

(2) Setup a study group of classmates with similar backgrounds who want to explore topics at a much greater level of detail. Who knows, if you find a good group of people, you may even be able to find a professor or PBL leader who will join you in these sessions to guide you appropriately. There are so many people in universities who LOVE to teach and would like nothing better than a group of motivated students who really want to learn some cool stuff.

(3) Setup a research project with a professor at the medical school in an area that really interests you. Who knows, you could even get paid for this.

(4) Offer to tutor students who do not have a science background and are having trouble. You could possibly get paid for this too.

And there are likely many more options that could help make life better!! I guess what I am trying to say is don't necessarily give up on UQ. University is often what you make of it - so go out there and create your own personal experience at UQ that is what you want!! And I highly recommend talking to someone at the school. You are certainly not the only student who has ever joined UQ with a pre-med undergrad. It is reasonable then to assume that you are likely not the first one who has felt as you do. The staff at UQ can probably do many things to help.

And as for rotations abroad, there are a few people on SDN who have posted that opportunities may be formalized for these next year. Talking to the staff may also help here, and even if they don't become formalized, if you build a good relationship with the school - you will likely be able to negotiate something that is tailored to your needs.

need transfer said:
I am in my first year at UQ. I hate it here. It is like being back in boarding school only easier...

I don't buy it -- possibly usydgrad reincarnated?:

1) int'l students do fail, you would know, there are 4 in "your" class;

2) i know virtually all the int'ls in first year, but more importantly, they're a pretty tight-knit bunch and would be aware of one unhappy & intending to transfer;

3) you would either be living in a hole (studying?) and have no clue about int'l rotations status or would know from all the hooplah around International Night that they are indeed done (on an ad hoc basis), and as discussed there is a formal policy being worked on. Oh, and *electives* are indeed done anywhere in the world, as is routinely discussed by the SOM and at the recent presentations at International Electives Night and in the numerous email broadcasts sent to first years about them.

4) i can't believe that someone who's "bored" enough to seek a transfer wouldn't have done the research (asking anyone) to find out that the grad programmes are similar in content.

5) as markdc pointed out, identifying yourself as an int'l 'pre-med' smacks of... something.

try again, troll.

-pitman

pitman said:
I don't buy it -- possibly usydgrad reincarnated?:

1) int'l students do fail, you would know, there are 4 in "your" class;

2) i know virtually all the int'ls in first year, but more importantly, they're a pretty tight-knit bunch and would be aware of one unhappy & intending to transfer;

3) you would either be living in a hole (studying?) and have no clue about int'l rotations status or would know from all the hooplah around International Night that they are indeed done (on an ad hoc basis), and as discussed there is a formal policy being worked on. Oh, and *electives* are indeed done anywhere in the world, as is routinely discussed by the SOM and at the recent presentations at International Electives Night and in the numerous email broadcasts sent to first years about them.

4) i can't believe that someone who's "bored" enough to seek a transfer wouldn't have done the research (asking anyone) to find out that the grad programmes are similar in content.

5) as markdc pointed out, identifying yourself as an int'l 'pre-med' smacks of... something.

try again, troll.

-pitman

Great post!

When I was at UQ it was easy to do electives overseas. Two of my friends went to New York. Many go to UK. I wanted to see Europe, so went to Munich. You can pretty much go anywhere in the world if you want to.

need transfer said:

hmm. get real! you can do plenty of 4th yr rotations in american hospitals... if you are willing to get off your ass and do something. and what is up with "i hate it here" and then saying "UQ is a nice place"? get with the program buddy. hope you're not trolling, but if you are - stop it.