Does AP English in high school count towards the English requirement?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

virtuoso735

7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2011
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I passed both the AP English Lang and AP Lit exams with 4's or 5's. Do these count towards the English requirement for the schools that require English? I also took an literature course in college, but some schools require two semesters of English, so I was wondering if the AP credit works for the requirement. My college only gives acceleration credits for AP scores (they don't count as a class, but you can take more advanced classes if you passed the AP exam).

Also wondering if classes that are designated as an English/Writing credit but are in a different department would be counted as an English class for medical school admissions? I took a bio class that had a large writing component so it was also listed under writing, but I'm not sure what medical schools would think about that.

chrisispissed

Oct 31, 2011
Status (Visible)
depends on the schools you apply to, some took it, some didn't. But from my experience, the AP credit has to count for a class where you came from

virtuoso735

7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2011
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Well, it's listed on my transcript. Hopefully that means they are more inclined to take it as an English credit.

About the Ads

Cinclus

Inverted Mountaineer
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Centrally located
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It will count for most schools. I know that Vanderbilt is an exception. For them, you need to have taken other sufficiently writing-intensive courses. I substituted philosophy and anthropology courses to meet their requirements. They're not really sticklers about it.

plumazul

☮, ♥, & ♫
7+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Well, it's listed on my transcript. Hopefully that means they are more inclined to take it as an English credit.

Is it listed on your transcript as credit? If not, then you still need the credit for medical schools that require this credit. Do you plan to apply to any med schools that have this requirement?

EBTrailRunner

10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Honestly, AP credit is a headache. Not all schools are going accept it, but it's not a big deal for the one-year English requirement. Any writing-intensive course in any department (at my school these courses were designated with a W at the end of the course number) will count toward it. My school required that I take two writing-intensive courses anyway, so it worked out. Also, IMO, it doesn't hurt to work on your writing during college. Being able to write effectively is always going to be an asset worth having.

Praefectus

MS-0
Mar 30, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
By the way you've described your school's system, it wouldn't count because you don't have the substituted hours on your transcript.

Apr 18, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
It will count for most schools. I know that Vanderbilt is an exception. For them, you need to have taken other sufficiently writing-intensive courses. I substituted philosophy and anthropology courses to meet their requirements. They're not really sticklers about it.

Thanks for this post. I've been wondering about this ever since I've wanted to apply to Vandy. I've got some upper level psych courses/ anthropology course that may count. And too many German courses to count. Hopefully those count.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.