Does AP English in high school count towards the English requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtuoso735

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I passed both the AP English Lang and AP Lit exams with 4's or 5's. Do these count towards the English requirement for the schools that require English? I also took an literature course in college, but some schools require two semesters of English, so I was wondering if the AP credit works for the requirement. My college only gives acceleration credits for AP scores (they don't count as a class, but you can take more advanced classes if you passed the AP exam).

Also wondering if classes that are designated as an English/Writing credit but are in a different department would be counted as an English class for medical school admissions? I took a bio class that had a large writing component so it was also listed under writing, but I'm not sure what medical schools would think about that.

Members don't see this ad.

depends on the schools you apply to, some took it, some didn't. But from my experience, the AP credit has to count for a class where you came from

Well, it's listed on my transcript. Hopefully that means they are more inclined to take it as an English credit.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will count for most schools. I know that Vanderbilt is an exception. For them, you need to have taken other sufficiently writing-intensive courses. I substituted philosophy and anthropology courses to meet their requirements. They're not really sticklers about it.

Well, it's listed on my transcript. Hopefully that means they are more inclined to take it as an English credit.

Is it listed on your transcript as credit? If not, then you still need the credit for medical schools that require this credit. Do you plan to apply to any med schools that have this requirement?

Honestly, AP credit is a headache. Not all schools are going accept it, but it's not a big deal for the one-year English requirement. Any writing-intensive course in any department (at my school these courses were designated with a W at the end of the course number) will count toward it. My school required that I take two writing-intensive courses anyway, so it worked out. Also, IMO, it doesn't hurt to work on your writing during college. Being able to write effectively is always going to be an asset worth having.

take your english classes at a cc, cheaper and usually easier

By the way you've described your school's system, it wouldn't count because you don't have the substituted hours on your transcript.

It will count for most schools. I know that Vanderbilt is an exception. For them, you need to have taken other sufficiently writing-intensive courses. I substituted philosophy and anthropology courses to meet their requirements. They're not really sticklers about it.

Thanks for this post. I've been wondering about this ever since I've wanted to apply to Vandy. I've got some upper level psych courses/ anthropology course that may count. And too many German courses to count. Hopefully those count.