MD Does applying to residency feel better or worse than applying to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But at the same time, i think it also depends on specialty. Applying to a surgical sub/derm is arguably far more stressful than applying to med school because the pool of 250+/straight honors is far stronger than the pool of above average LizzyM scores with ECs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Definitely residency is way more stressful. 8 years of hard work, 200K debt, not matching =soap...soap process is hell, reapplicant has lower chance of matching, may not be able to do the specialty you want aka end up doing something you don’t want for the rest of your live, cost of residency application (at least this year we did not have to travel), figure out who lies/not (from post II communication, advices etc) and what to do/not (thank you email, #1 letter, #2-5 letters)...I feel very unwanted so far in this process. I am sure I will feel like trash if I have to soap (reading through soap process and precious applicants’ experience)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is nice that the process is shorter for residency than med school. Although I had an early acceptance, I did not get off the waitlist at my school until 2 weeks before school started. It was an entire year if stress, unlike residency.
This time around, I knew I had options. My specialty essentially gave out the majority of interviews on two days, so within one week, I knew if I was competitive. I got my top 7 interviews the first day, rounded out my top 10 the following week and didn't accept any more interviews. I am doing everything not to stress now.

If this thread were in radonc forums, i'm sure @elementaryschooleconomics and others would argue finding a job is far far far more difficult and stressful than residency or med school app processes
I had jobs before...in health care and no, they are definitely not harder...at least in my personal experience

If this thread were in radonc forums, i'm sure @elementaryschooleconomics and others would argue finding a job is far far far more difficult and stressful than residency or med school app processes
It's worth noting that at least med school and residency has "a system" with governing bodies and rules and structure. The fact that SOAP even exists is great. There is no SOAP at the job level. There's just unemployment. It's the wild west, anything goes, and even if you find what seems like the perfect job there are a myriad of hidden ways for the hospital/institution/practice to screw you without repercussion. RadOnc in particular is...rough, compared to other specialties.

OP's original question is fascinating if I reflect on it, now many years out from either process. I guess for me, personally, med school applications were more stressful. You're banging at the door trying to get in. Once you get in, the majority of US students make it through "the system" and yeah, often the problem at the residency level is how far down your rank list you go.

That being said, @frenchyn, I take it you're done (or almost done) with interviews and are waiting for Match Day? I distinctly remember those two months. They were very difficult. I wouldn't want to do that again...at all.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure how you misread that. I was saying finding a job in the current radonc market is more stressful than applying to med school/residency
Oops. I did not see radonc...totally skimmed through it. Now that makes sense.

Reactions: 1 user
Less stressful cause I actually have options this time (and ones I like) when I applied to medical school I didn't have that luxury!
I couldn't have said it better. I only had 3 interviews spread out over 2 med school application cycles and just one of those turned into an acceptance, so I basically squeaked into med school. In med school I did OK, but nothing exceptional - failed an anatomy test during preclinical, failed one shelf (surgery, not a surprise given the way I feel about anatomy, lol), low-ish step scores but passes on first attempts. However, I applied to a noncompetitive, small field that I can demonstrate I am passionate about and it paid off. I got all the interviews I had hoped for, got the vibe that most places want me, and I am really excited for the match.

I know I am insanely lucky - for example 2/3 of the programs that I'm ranking 1-3 have a step 1 cutoff that I just barely exceeded. Nonetheless, both programs seem genuinely interested in recruiting me. The third program rounding out my top 3 is affiliated with my undergrad institution, and even though they don't have a step 1 cutoff, the med school declined to even interview me during 2 different application cycles! Now the residency program has residents and attendings reaching out to be available in case I have more questions because they think I'd be a great fit :rofl: It is kind of funny, but I guess the moral for me is not to read too much into it when the interviews are few or when they are plentiful, and realize the next step could be a totally different experience than the last.

I believe you mean "reviving" rather than "revoking" :p. I got am email that I matched today (and had the sense from interviews that multiple places wanted me) so I stand by that applying to med school was worse.

If anyone else replying wants to throw in some recommendations for awful morning sickness, that would be great!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Changed my mind. Residency...because at least with medical school you usually can look forward to reapplication. Back when I was a virgin to disappointment, a gap year seemed like the end of the world. Not anymore. With residency applications, this is basically either your first of at the most two chances to get into what you want. If you want Ortho (ex.) you're not going to be able to apply more than twice without incurring what many would consider risk not worth taking. You can also take the MCAT multiple times and change your GPA with an SMP. With medical school, once you do something it's fixed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Changed my mind. Residency...because at least with medical school you usually can look forward to reapplication. Back when I was a virgin to disappointment, a gap year seemed like the end of the world. Not anymore. With residency applications, this is basically either your first of at the most two chances to get into what you want. If you want Ortho (ex.) you're not going to be able to apply more than twice without incurring what many would consider risk not worth taking. You can also take the MCAT multiple times and change your GPA with an SMP. With medical school, once you do something it's fixed.
Very true. However, given the high match rate overall for US MD students, I would like to think that matching into a competitive specialty is >40%, no? It is true that people can reapply to med schools multiple times, but I imagine only a very small minority of people apply more than twice before either getting in or finding a different career path anyway.
On a side note, are you M4? I'm very sorry if this insight was because you didn't match.

Very true. However, given the high match rate overall for US MD students, I would like to think that matching into a competitive specialty is >40%, no? It is true that people can reapply to med schools multiple times, but I imagine only a very small minority of people apply more than twice before either getting in or finding a different career path anyway.
On a side note, are you M4? I'm very sorry if this insight was because you didn't match.
It's complicated, but I did match in the NRMP 2021 Match. Your points are true, but then realize people can also take gaps in between applying for med school while doing whatever their current job/gig is whereas post-med school you likely have lost contact with any long term jobs you were in and every year you're almost to apply as every year you're idol is a knock against you.

I will say it's likely a piecewise function. If you're a solid US MD applicant to a less competitive or even intermediately competitive (EM, DR, etc.) field, it's probably extremely relaxed.

It's complicated, but I did match in the NRMP 2021 Match. Your points are true, but then realize people can also take gaps in between applying for med school while doing whatever their current job/gig is whereas post-med school you likely have lost contact with any long term jobs you were in and every year you're almost to apply as every year you're idol is a knock against you.

I will say it's likely a piecewise function. If you're a solid US MD applicant to a less competitive or even intermediately competitive (EM, DR, etc.) field, it's probably extremely relaxed.
Congrats on matching! I think the current matching system is unnecessarily stressful and I admire the strength and perseverance of people like you. Today my fear has officially shifted from "what if I don't get into med school" to "what if I don't match."

Congrats on matching! I think the current matching system is unnecessarily stressful and I admire the strength and perseverance of people like you. Today my fear has officially shifted from "what if I don't get into med school" to "what if I don't match."
Does this mean you received a med school acceptance today? Congratulations!

The process and waiting are stressful. But 95% of USMDs match overall. So statistically it’s way easier than medical school admission if you do the right things. That being said, yeah, it’s a dramatic process.

If anyone else replying wants to throw in some recommendations for awful morning sickness, that would be great!
My wife swore by ginger tea and candied ginger! She also ate a lot of marshmallows first trimester, but that was a pre-existing condition.

• Haha
Didn't read the thread but for me it was worse.

At least with med school applications, even though I only got 1 flat out acceptance and a handful of waitlists, I had control over where I was going (my 1 acceptance was at my top choice school so I didn't bother pushing too hard for my waitlists so I can't say how that would have turned out). With the Match, you have some choice but unless you're a top-tier applicant you really are at the mercy of the numbers game. That's why whenever I hear other residents during socials say "I chose to come to XYZ program because 123 reason" I roll my eyes because let's face it, was this really your number 1? If it was, great, the program still had to choose you over someone else. Or maybe it may have been your number 2, but no one willingly chooses their number 2 (else it would be their number 1).

Didn't read the thread but for me it was worse.

At least with med school applications, even though I only got 1 flat out acceptance and a handful of waitlists, I had control over where I was going (my 1 acceptance was at my top choice school so I didn't bother pushing too hard for my waitlists so I can't say how that would have turned out). With the Match, you have some choice but unless you're a top-tier applicant you really are at the mercy of the numbers game. That's why whenever I hear other residents during socials say "I chose to come to XYZ program because 123 reason" I roll my eyes because let's face it, was this really your number 1? If it was, great, the program still had to choose you over someone else. Or maybe it may have been your number 2, but no one willingly chooses their number 2 (else it would be their number 1).
I ended up ranking a program higher this year because all of the residents said that it was their number 4 or number 6 or whatever. It was totally because I loved the idea that I might train with people who aren’t FOS lol.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
I ended up ranking a program higher this year because all of the residents said that it was their number 4 or number 6 or whatever. It was totally because I loved the idea that I might train with people who aren’t FOS lol.
That's part of how that one community program we discussed over PM jumped a few spots on the list.

I stand by my earlier statement that applying to residency is much much worse. I have never experienced this level of stress in my entire life. And that is even with knowing I matched on Monday.