1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Does Baylor give preference to in staters?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Rocket3004, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Rocket3004

Rocket3004 Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm thinking yes, but have gotten conflicting information... anyone with solid info care to elaborate?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CaramelDlite

CaramelDlite Academic Gangsta
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    They sure do. (I'm a Texas resident so I'm banking on this :) )

4. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

YES...SIGNIFICANT PREFERENCE...LIKE 70% AND INCR. EACH YEAR...HECK IT MIGHT AS WELL BECOME A STATE SCHOOL

Sorry...I really want to attend Baylor COM...but that is unlikely seeing as how I am not a Texas Resident.

5. Rocket3004

Rocket3004 Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, here's the problem. My parents moved halfway through my undergrad years. I am a dependent so that means I can claim TX residency (confirmed by schools).

HOWEVER, this puts me at 50/50 with 1 instate instituition (they claim to have 50/50 in v. outstate students) and at severe penalty for my other 2 instate schools.

what to do...?

6. Bubblehead-to-MD

Bubblehead-to-MD Emergency Blow!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Straight from the 2007-2008 MSAR:

Of the 168 students that matriculated with the 2005-2006 first year medical school class, 126 were Texas residents.

So, even if they don't specifically state that they show preference for Texas residents, the numbers don't lie.

7. doctordutch

doctordutch Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Even though I am a Texas resident, I do wish they would open their doors to more OOS applicants. It would make the entering class more diverse, especially since Houston is such a diverse city to live in. I brought this up with BCM faculty, and they sort of laughed at me.

8. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Every Texas school prefers Texas residents. At least 90% of their class has to come from there. I am not even going to mess with Texas. :)

EDIT: Only State Schools! I stand corrected. Baylor's figures work out to 75% In state for those playing along at home.

9. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

Not Baylor's!

That mandate only applies to Texas State Schools.

10. AggieJohn

AggieJohn Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    He's right don'tcha know.

11. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    See? What do I know about Texas!
    But at Baylor, look at the #'s Danjo gave you. That is still 75% Texas In-State. It is a heavy preference, even if it isn't the 90% like the state schools.

:)

12. 2badr

2badr **Switch**
    10+ Year Member

Uh, yeah. ;) what danjo said....

13. as06

as06 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What's the other state in question?

14. modelslashactor

modelslashactor Safety not guaranteed
    7+ Year Member

your chances might be better than you think...

sure baylor's class is 75% Texans, but that does not mean 75% of their acceptances are given to Texans. I'm sure it is closer to 50/50, it's just that the tuition break and the fact it is close to home makes Baylor a more attractive option for Texans than OOSers. Still, it's a very competitive school and the type of student that gets in there would be the kind that would have multiple top tier offers.

15. Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg Long Live the New Flesh!
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Baylor's policy is to accept at least 70% of its incoming class from in-state. I don't have a reference for it right now (I will find one if someone insists) but I am absolutely sure that that is their policy.

16. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    They better.

Baylor I :love: you!!

17. I don't think you need to worry too much - you're going to have your pick of schools and apparently Baylor is the lucky winner!

18. Anastasis

Anastasis caffeinated for safety
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :laugh:

Baylor is on the top of the pile right now, but I'm 1. not counting chickens before they hatch, I need to get in first. and 2. Not making final judgements on schools until I go visit - a few months ago Baylor wasn't even on my radar til I started reading more about it.

19. Well, it's my top choice (please disregard this message all adcomm snoopers) so maybe we'll be classmates.

20. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    YES.

A majority of people they interview are from Texas. This was confirmed on my interview day.

21. browniegirl86

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm pretty sure the reason Baylor can be so cheap is because they get money from the state of TX by accepting mostly TX residents.

This could just be a rumor, and I don't care enough to look for references, but that's what I heard during my application process.

Good luck everyone.

22. LaDoctorFutura

LaDoctorFutura Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    at my interview day, there were more Texas residents, but not a 75/25 ratio. I'd like to see what the ratio of in-state to out-of-state acceptances, because I have a feeling that out-of-staters get a good number of acceptances, but the connotation associated with Texas sometimes changes people's minds. i.e. they don't want to be in the South, it's too hot, too many mosquitos, etc. also, talk like this dissuades people from even applying, so to lessen the numbers.

i can give yall a better idea of the class' demographics in about a week, when we start orientation. but, i would say that if you like what the school offers, please submit an app. :D

23. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No that's true...they get more $ from the state than the state schools get (believe it or not). A good portion of their entering classes are made up of students who were part of some form of BS/MD or BA/MD programs. Such a program existed at Rice.

Basically all my friends decided to attend Baylor (and most were from Texas)...if not Baylor then UT Southwestern.