Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Does being a minority help

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ComplexPuzzle, Feb 27, 2002.

1. ComplexPuzzle

ComplexPuzzle shakin dat a**
    7+ Year Member

I keep hearing about how being a minority women will help me get into med school. Pre-med advisors say that you will be highly sought after. But I want to know, how much does it actually help. :rolleyes:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PMPMD

PMPMD 4G MD
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  4. dukeblue01

dukeblue01 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Please remember, in medical school admissions the definition of minority is different. Under represented minorities (URM's) in medicine are defined by the AAMC. It only will "help" if you are in one of the defined groups.

5. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

C'mon people, although I understand that URMs are specifically defined by the AAMC, does this question need a response. Seems sort of rhetorical to me. . .

6. Dr. Don

Dr. Don Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I guess it does, but I haven't noticed it. I am getting rejected left and right over here. Maybe I'm not as competitive as I thought.

7. reesie0726

reesie0726 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

A common misconception is that just because you are a URM, you will get into medical school. Wrong! That is not the case. Go to the aamc's website and see the percentage of urms that apply and who actually get in. Most do not get in. However, as a URM, adcoms take special consideration when looking at your application. You have to still be competitive but they will look at the overall picture. Me for instance. I had a poor ugrad gpa, but good mcat, good post bac and good masters gpa, good ec's and good lor's so I was able to get into competitive schools. They took special consideration and looked more at the overall picture, I believe, because I am an under-represented minority. They probably would not have looked at my overall picture as much if I was not a URM. My low ugrad gpa would have been a much bigger hindrance. However, some schools did not show me any love at all because of that ugrad gpa, so being a urm can give you a slight edge if there is a weaker part of your application. But if you have a bad gpa and a bad mcat, you still don't have a chance.

8. matthew0126

matthew0126 Anaheim Angels
    7+ Year Member

complexpuzzle -- just go to yahoo and do a search on minority admissions... i think the numbers speak for themselves

otherwise, i'm not getting involved in another u.r.m. thread, yikes :D

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ComplexPuzzle:
    <strong>I keep hearing about how being a minority women will help me get into med school. Pre-med advisors say that you will be highly sought after. But I want to know, how much does it actually help. :rolleyes: </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

9. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Only URMs as defined by the AAMC: Mexican-Americans, Mainland Puerto Ricans, African-Americans, and Native Americans (American Indians).

10. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by ComplexPuzzle:
    <strong>I keep hearing about how being a minority women will help me get into med school. Pre-med advisors say that you will be highly sought after. But I want to know, how much does it actually help. :rolleyes: </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It helps a little but it's holds no promises....trust me...... I was told all that crap that my chances are good blah blah blah....you still need decent grades/gpa. Don't reply on the URM factor to get you in....it's not %100. I fill two quotas though......I am a woman and also a minority.....accept me and you can kill two birds with one stone! :D

11. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat
    7+ Year Member

To be honest, so many people apply to medical school that no one factor will get you an automatic acceptance. No matter how unique you are, there is a good chance that there are dozens or hundreds or thousands of people out there like you who also are "unique." So being a minority woman is all well and good, but it won't get you in by itself because thousands of minority women apply. As always, it is the sum of the parts that matters, not any one part by itself.

12. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

The URM part may help, the woman part almost definitely won't. Women are now well represented in medicine. They aren't represented in every medical field...but that isn't so much the concern of the medical school adcom.