Does being a part time student your whole college career look bad when applying to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my whole college career I have always been a part time student because I have needed to work to afford to live/pay for school. I have had a few semesters where I had 15 credits, but the vast majority were 12 or less. I don't know if it makes a difference that I have been working as an engineer full time the whole time. Does this hurt my chances for applying?

Members don't see this ad.

It does not hurt your chances. Not if you’ve been working full time while attending school part-time. That’s neutral to positive. How’s your nonclinical volunteering and clinical experience?

It does not hurt your chances. Not if you’ve been working full time while attending school part-time. That’s neutral to positive. How’s your nonclinical volunteering and clinical experience?

I have volunteered as a firefighter/EMT and field training officer for about 5 years now as well as volunteering to tutor for the biology/chemistry dept at my school. I don't have any other volunteer experience other than that mainly just because volunteering for the FD is time intensive ~36-50 hours a month due to lack of volunteers.

I also have done research for free/no credits and am published that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Firefighting is nonclinical volunteering. EMT is clinical volunteering. You absolutely need shadowing, including primary care, and it might be helpful if you got some clinical volunteering in a hospital. Even so, 1000+ hours as a firefighter and 1000+ hours as an EMT is no joke.

Firefighting is nonclinical volunteering. EMT is clinical volunteering. You absolutely need shadowing, including primary care, and it might be helpful if you got some clinical volunteering in a hospital. Even so, 1000+ hours as a firefighter and 1000+ hours as an EMT is no joke.

I guess I never thought of firefighting that way because it's all done in the same job. Yeah if I had to guess its around 2500 hours. I have a pretty strong letter of recommendation from a family medicine physician about 2 years back now. I have also shadowed an orthopedic surgeon, neonatologist, and anesthesiologists (2 different ones). Although only shadowed the PCP long enough to secure a letter all the others were just a day or two.

Do you think it matters the physician letter is from so far back?

No, it doesn’t. You could split your hours: if you did 60/40 firefighting/EMT calls, write up your hours that way: 1500 hours firefighting, and 1000 hours as an EMT. It would help if you did some volunteering in a hospital or clinic in the presence of physicians.

No, it doesn’t. You could split your hours: if you did 60/40 firefighting/EMT calls, write up your hours that way: 1500 hours firefighting, and 1000 hours as an EMT. It would help if you did some volunteering in a hospital or clinic in the presence of physicians.

Yeah, unfortunately in the firefighting world it's more like 8% fire calls to 92% medical, but I get what you are saying. I will look into hospital volunteering once the MCAT is behind me in January. I appreciate the help

Still, the fire calls are nonclinical volunteering. Was the field training work firefighting-related? That counts as nonclinical volunteering as well.

Still, the fire calls are nonclinical volunteering. Was the field training work firefighting-related? That counts as nonclinical volunteering as well.

No just for the EMS side. I'd like to hope I am on the high end for volunteering hours because at a certain point you need to make money over volunteering. Especially when you have a mortgage, have to pay your own loans, etc.

My path has certainly not been linear that's for sure

You are definitely on the high side for volunteering hours. You’ll want 200-300 hours of nonclinical volunteering, though; you already have 200 with firefighting and another hundred, maybe two hundred, from tutoring. You’re good on that front.

Reactions: 1 user
You are definitely on the high side for volunteering hours. You’ll want 200-300 hours of nonclinical volunteering, though; you already have 200 with firefighting and another hundred, maybe two hundred, from tutoring. You’re good on that front.

Thanks again for the feedback.