Medical Does being a transgender make or break my chances of interview/acceptance to DO schools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a transman who is applying to DO schools this cycle. I began my transition 10 years ago and had sex reassignment surgeries. As a physician, I have an interest in serving the trans/LGBT community (especially the youth).

I was wondering if this will affect my chances of getting an interview for medical schools if this was mentioned in my personal statement. My personal statement mentioned that I am a transman and there is a story that ties into why I want to become a physician.

However, I would like to know if this will enhance my chances because some may view this as "diverse" or decreases my chance since some individuals may silently be a transphobic.

Thank you in advance.
Would kill your chances at LUCOM and Loma Linda!

If you have service to sexual minorities, all the better. Your story is a good rationale for "Why Medicine".

Suggest avoiding the schools in rural places, as while the schools might be welcoming, the communities might not.

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools will value your experience and will be proud to have a transgender person as one of their students. Having trans representation in healthcare is vital to the care of trans people (and LGBTQ people at large) because it gives physicians insight into a viewpoint they wouldn't otherwise have access to.

I think being trans, provided you are out, proud, and forward about your advocacy and desire to help the underserved and in particular LGBTQ people, will be an asset to your application in almost all cases. There will be transphobic individuals in every setting, but admissions staff in general tend to be actively looking for a diverse subset of individuals to add to their med school classes. At many medical schools, you may be actively recruited depending on your stats.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.