Does being biracial (Half Pacific Islander, Half Caucasian) count as URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hapastud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know neither Pacific Islander nor Caucasian alone make an underrepresented minority. But what about if they work together? I mean, my mom grew up in a hut. And I was never white enough for the white kids or asian enough for the asian kids. Help me out here.

Members don't see this ad.

I know neither Pacific Islander nor Caucasian alone make an underrepresented minority. But what about if they work together? I mean, my mom grew up in a hut. And I was never white enough for the white kids or asian enough for the asian kids. Help me out here.

Being hapa sucks (I know from personal experience, in the technical sense anyway since I'm not Hawaiian), but it won't mean anything to admissions committees.

Members don't see this ad :)
The path to success is paved with hard work and sacrifice not excuses.

I'm not sure about this, but I know heterozygous vigor makes some half asian and half white girls pretty cute!

You can always mark "other" and let the adcoms guess.

The path to success is paved with hard work and sacrifice not excuses.

Simplify, you obviously are not from a minority or multi-racial background. It is offensive to state that a person's race is an excuse. The reason many graduate schools take ethnicity into account is because of the unique challenges faced by people of minority and mixed origins. As a bi-racial person myself, I have faced many obstacles, such as exclusion from opportunities because of my ethnic background, and judgement from my peers because of being half white and half filipino.

Perhaps you should pause your judgement (and postings) on threads such as these when you have no knowledge of them.

Hi Hapastud,

I'm struggling with the a similar issue (though I am 1/2 URM and 1/2 white). Based on some google work ( :) ) - I've found there are 2 accounts, some colleges are beginning to look at bi-racial applicants as a separate pool, having unique challenges because of their inability to fit into one "category", others discount race/ethnicity entirely, and still others perfer a background of full URM status.

In summary, if you can write a stirring essay on how you've overcome adversity as a bi-racial student, this would serve you better (i think), then just answering the race question

Good Luck!

What does this have to do with medicine or becoming a Doctor?

If it's important to your application, talk about it. If it's an excuse, don't.

Talk about your life, talk about yourself as a person, and what shaped you. Let the adcom know who you are. Don't let other people define you, define yourself for them.

Answer this question: Who are you, and why do you want to become a Physician?

Include all responses that are relevant, reject those that are not. ;):thumbup:

Simplify, you obviously are not from a minority or multi-racial background. It is offensive to state that a person's race is an excuse. The reason many graduate schools take ethnicity into account is because of the unique challenges faced by people of minority and mixed origins. As a bi-racial person myself, I have faced many obstacles, such as exclusion from opportunities because of my ethnic background, and judgement from my peers because of being half white and half filipino.

Perhaps you should pause your judgement (and postings) on threads such as these when you have no knowledge of them.

:thumbup:

Well said.

Way to resurrect a 7-8 month old thread to call someone out. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't get it. Which significant disadvantages can you possibly get from being half white and half Asian? There are thousands of applicants whose parents are first generation immigrants. I actually think that one of your parents being Caucasian American actually gives you certain advantages over the others.

I don't get it. Which significant disadvantages can you possibly get from being half white and half Asian? There are thousands of applicants whose parents are first generation immigrants. I actually think that one of your parents being Caucasian American actually gives you certain advantages over the others.

I've never understood why adcoms equate a race with a socioeconomic status. I guess because I'm white I had a real easy time growing up and getting through school. Right? ;)

I've never understood why adcoms equate a race with a socioeconomic status. Examples abound of how it's such a flawed correlation to adhere so strictly to. I guess because I'm white I had a real easy time growing up. ;)
that's probably because they don't.

No they don't and please tell us what obstacles you had to overcome.

It's personal and I'd rather not write it on an online forum.

interesting 180 degree edit. but i encourage you to check out the AMCAS and the actual boxes you tick off

You're right, I wasn't remembering those boxes correctly. I went back and checked in AMCAS. Sorry about that guys/gals.

interesting 180 degree edit. but i encourage you to check out the AMCAS and the actual boxes you tick off

A lot of bannage going around these days. Jeez, I'm half-surprised I'm still around.

:luck:

Anyways. OP, your question is stupid.