Does being chief resident help at all for jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReefTiger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if being a chief resident is any help in the job search process. I will likely be searching for a job in a different state and was wondering how much of a difference it would make.

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering if being a chief resident is any help in the job search process. I will likely be searching for a job in a different state and was wondering how much of a difference it would make.

Did for me. Got offers at every location and every group I interviewed with from Seattle, Washington to San Fran, San Diego, LA, to Dallas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me either....except I wasn't chief, so go figure!

What's getting to be chief based on? Hard work? Being a genius? Kissing a$$?

What's the average % of residents that get to be a chief? If you claim the title of chief, do people think of you as being in the top 1/2, top 1/4, top 1/10, what? I never thought to ask or notice what % were chiefs while on the rotation or interview trail.

Likewise, do potential employers or groups care about such things as your percentile on the written boards?

When you sign your first contract, being a chief resident will get you an extra $50,000.

Alright, this may be far fetched.

What's the average % of residents that get to be a chief? If you claim the title of chief, do people think of you as being in the top 1/2, top 1/4, top 1/10, what? I never thought to ask or notice what % were chiefs while on the rotation or interview trail.

Most places I saw had 1-2 chiefs. If you figure each of these had between 5-15 residents, I'd say the number of chiefs in the job search pool is closest to 1/10.

And I'd agree it's mostly about sucking up, I mean showing interest to get the position. From what I saw, they were in charge of things like call schedule and were the point of contact for resident complaints. You don't exactly have to be AOA to handle that stuff. I'm sure there's more to it, but it's not like they're culled from the top ITE scores.

They also tend to have a little more input into resident selection, or at least are close enough to whisper in the PD's ear. Not a bad person to get to know during interviews or aways.

well being chief certainly does not hurt you ;)

i think it's another pad on your resume for private practice job searching. for fellowships and academia jobs, it's a plus. at my current fellowship, i've heard them mention about the candidates that they interviewed for next yr's class and the PD mentioned that 10(?) out of the 16 candidates were chief residents. he just kinda mentioned this without being asked so i'm guessing he valued that facet highly