Does Biochemistry Reinforce General Chemistry Concepts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JESSFALLING

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I haven't taken Biochem yet, so I guess I'm not 100% sure what to expect. I am wondering if it will serve as a refresher for general chemistry? And, if so, wouldn't it also help on the PS section of the MCAT, in addition to the BS section?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

not really. maybe a little when dealing with zwitter ions, pH stuff, ionization of amino acids and crap. it is more of a fusion of biology and ochem. there definitely is some gen chem, but it probably won't serve as a refresher. Definitely not enough gen chem to help with the mcat.

not really. maybe a little when dealing with zwitter ions, pH stuff, ionization of amino acids and crap. it is more of a fusion of biology and ochem. there definitely is some gen chem, but it probably won't serve as a refresher. Definitely not enough gen chem to help with the mcat.

Thanks! It sounds like it's worth taking. I'll have to just review my gen chem independently, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
My biochem (as I am sure most biochems) had a couple lectures of gen chem review. Basically like ochem where they go through everything you need to know from previous classes to get it fresh in your mind. you probably should be OK. for example, I had completely forgotten about ICE tables and I struggled with the pH on day 2, went home, watch khanacademy and ended up with one of the highest As. You can review but I wouldn't get too crazy.

Well considering that biological science IS a physical science due to physics principles governing absolutely everything, then yes. But you'd have to understand this for it to matter and by understanding it you'd end up spending a lot of your time wanting to strangle chemists and biochemists and molecular biologists and but that's another story. Physicists get little respect........ Sigh.

Hey, I liked P. chem. :highfive: