does college grades/mcat matter for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do residency directors care abouot my grades/MCAT score as an undergraduate?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't get so excited. It depends on what residency you are applying for.

I do know from personal experience that some Plastics programs will ask for college transcripts and MCATs.

But in general most residencies and specialties do not ask for them - just the most competitive ones.

I do know from personal experience that some Plastics programs will ask for college transcripts and MCATs.

But in general most residencies and specialties do not ask for them - just the most competitive ones.

oh, poop. :p

i never was asked about my MCAT but my college transcript was brought up on a few ophthalmology interviews. more in terms of that sounds like an interesting class...not really the grades, but they obviously saw it.

I was asked about highschool EC's at one interview.

In 2002-2003 several gen surg programs asked for MCAT. UVA asked for SAT as well

I just wanted to know if I could slack off as a second semester senior and not have it pay in the long run... l

Residency director: I see that you had a 4.0 going into your second semester senior year as an undergraduate. Why did you get a 2.0 in your last semester?

Me: Ummmmmmm, wellll.....

Make sure the medical school you have been accepted into doesn't require you to maintain a certain GPA or does not allow grades below a certain number for any remaining courses. My program did.

Good advice above.

Programs have been known to rescind offers of residency if you slack off during your last semester of undergrad. The time to play was over during the summer between HS and college.:(

I've been asked on 2 interviews about my undergrad gpa and mcat scores.

Are your undergrad gpa and MCAT scores listed on the residency app?

No they don't post GPA/MCAT on residency applications.

But a few competitive programs in surgical subspecialties will ask that you put your MCAT scores at the bottom of your personal statement (ex. UCLA Ortho) and/or send your college transcripts.

I'll one-up that:

At the program I matched to, one interviewer asked for my SAT scores and High School GPA.

I am going into radonc and two programs I applied to had me send TRANSCRIPTS from my undergrad school..

I'll one-up that:

At the program I matched to, one interviewer asked for my SAT scores and High School GPA.

I am going into radonc and two programs I applied to had me send TRANSCRIPTS from my undergrad school..

Yeah. This is getting silly. Med school and up oughta do it. High school stuff? Not so much. One degree back is now the limit, as of 3:58 AM, or panties shall be bunched!!

What's next? Who's the best dancer?

Which programs asked you for those? I did not encounter that, nor did I hear of anyone asking from other people.

toothless rufus said:
What's next? Who's the best dancer?

No, I think it might go a little more hardcore than that.....
Luthier_farting.jpg

My bad...I didn't realize it was that long ago for you. Sorry.

I'm sure this post will give some of you nightmares, but here it goes:

Sometimes, if you go to the same medical school as you did undergrad school, when you release your "med school transcript" I actually get all of your undergraduate grades also.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure this post will give some of you nightmares, but here it goes:

Sometimes, if you go to the same medical school as you did undergrad school, when you release your "med school transcript" I actually get all of your undergraduate grades also.

Great. Now the world will know that I took Human Sexuality three times.

Ahhh. So that was you. I was wondering if you could explain exactly how you failed it twice?

Yeah. The first time I took it too lightly and when the test came I didn't know the ins and outs.

The second time I couldn't ever make it all the way through the sessions. That is an automatic fail according to some.

The third time I cheated.

Reactions: 1 user
Do residency directors care about my grades as an undergraduate?

In my experience, not directly, but if you were summa or magna cum laude or Phi Beta Kappa from undergrad, that can mean a lot to many residency programs. Of course, it likely won't make or break your application, but it can definitely help. I agree with the other posters in that it's kind of ridiculous that people care about things that may have occurred 4-10 years ago (depending how much time you take off between undergrad and med school), but that's just the way it goes.

My advice: don't slack off second semester senior year.

My bad...I didn't realize it was that long ago for you. Sorry.

Yeah, she's like 200 years old. On the plus side, her Alzheimer's is probably causing her to forget to get her glasses prescription updated, so she probably can't read any of this. And even if she did, she'd probably call me my brother's name and forget whose son I am.

Yeah, she's like 200 years old. On the plus side, her Alzheimer's is probably causing her to forget to get her glasses prescription updated, so she probably can't read any of this. And even if she did, she'd probably call me my brother's name and forget whose son I am.

Now you know very well that I am not nearly 200 years old; why, I'm less than half of that (I think...if I can remember my birthdate. No need for glasses yet!)

Now you know very well that I am not nearly 200 years old; why, I'm less than half of that (I think...if I can remember my birthdate. No need for glasses yet!)

Hey, I'm sure any one of us would love to date you, Kimbercox.

....carbon date you. Just to verify your story.

Hey, I'm sure any one of us would love to date you, Kimbercox.

....carbon date you. Just to verify your story.

If you have an issue with me or "my story", please feel free to PM me or email me directly, as this is the 3rd post of mine which you have seen fit to challenge. I'm well old enough to have the experiences which I have stated; while I've never given my exact age here (because its nobody's business), I am about 10 years older than the average in my field, if that helps you believe "my story".

If you have an issue with me or "my story", please feel free to PM me or email me directly, as this is the 3rd post of mine which you have seen fit to challenge. I'm well old enough to have the experiences which I have stated; while I've never given my exact age here (because its nobody's business), I am about 10 years older than the average in my field, if that helps you believe "my story".

It was just a joke...jesus.

Sorry, I was stressed and overreacted to this and some of your other posts directed to me (a bit sensitive about my advanced age, I guess).

Northerner hasn't yet learned that there are two things that are never okay to joke about with a woman.... weight and age. Even if we're young and/or thin, it's always below the belt. Oh, and Northerner, I don't want to hear it. Next time you **** with me, I'll sit on your ass.

This thread is illuminating. And here I thought my sweet grades and mcat were old news. It was a tad depressing for me, honestly. I worked hard for those! High school would be crazy, though. I honestly could not tell you what my high school GPA was.

there are a select few ortho programs that require SAT/ACT, MCAT scores, and/or undergrad transcripts.