Quantcast

Does combustion of hydrocarbons yield water vaper or liquid water?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mddang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
In one of Kaplan's subject test, it says liquid water is formed, but I always thought combustion of hydrocarbons produced water vapor.

Someone clarify pleaseeee. Thanks.

mddang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.. Interesting.. Now in the 'Chemical Reaction Types Workshop', it shows water vapor as one of the products of the combustion of hydrocarbons...

ProHeartBreaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just checked my Chemistry book as source of reference; it said "liquid water" is the result of combustion of hydrocarbons. However, vapor water is the product when there is a combustion of hydrogen gas + O2 (Wikipedia baby!) This question was in DAT Destroyer huh?

mddang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just checked my Chemistry book as source of reference; it said "liquid water" is the result of combustion of hydrocarbons. However, vapor water is the product when there is a combustion of hydrogen gas + O2 (Wikipedia baby!) This question was in DAT Destroyer huh?
Naw, it was a problem in Kaplan.. I'm gonna post some screenshots so you guys can see..

This one is from the explanation of the problem.
2isayok.jpg

This one is from the workshop.
15d2asl.jpg

In the problem, it did state that the reaction took place at 298K and at a pressure of 1atm, so I can see why we'll have liquid water.

In the reaction from the workshop, no pressure or temperature was given.