Does dental school discriminate against old student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucla2134

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
Im a third year undergraduate even though im 23. Anyway, i decide on applying 2009 cycle when im 25-26. I know that most student apply on their junior year but i cant right now since i havent done any research and volunteer or shadow yet.
Does dental school think you are dumb since you are this age and haven't done anything yet?
Be straight with me. Does age matter?
Thanks so much guys

Members don't see this ad.

actually, the average age of entering dental students is probably around 24-25ish with plenty of people in their late 20's to early 30s. In fact, people coming fresh from college seems to be the minority (at least for my class)

Hi!
Im a third year undergraduate even though im 23. Anyway, i decide on applying 2009 cycle when im 25-26. I know that most student apply on their junior year but i cant right now since i havent done any research and volunteer or shadow yet.
Does dental school think you are dumb since you are this age and haven't done anything yet?
Thanks so much guys

25 or 26 is not old. 90 is old. Plus, most of the Mormons (which there are tons of) are of the older variety because they went on missions for their church.

Members don't see this ad :)
25 or 26 is not old. 90 is old. Plus, most of the Mormons (which there are tons of) are of the older variety because they went on missions for their church.
I would feel kindda old if i am 26 :( ....hehe... kidding

i'm in the latter-half of my twenties, starting this fall, you'll be fine :p

i am 29 and i am a first year. two students in my class are in their 30s

32 here and on track for D-school in 2009.

I was 25 when I applied, and will be 26 come this fall when I start. On most of my interviews, it felt like 25-27 was the norm. it does looks good to be older, since you have "real life experience."

Now if you were 73 and applying :laugh: that would hurt you.

That's true. I had some interest and I was 26 when I interviewed, 27 now. My knees crack a lot (maybe from running) but other than that I feel pretty young.

What are you talking about "old"? 40 is the new 25!

I will be 25 when I start. I though that would be old, but it seems to be average.

Why does everything think that mid-twenties is old? We are starting professional school AFTER our bachelors. Either way, don't worry about age. Age is just a #, in reality its how you feel on the inside determines how old you really are.

The (ex) director of admissions at the U of MN said if they had two applicants that were equal in all aspects except age, they would pick the older of the two. So I would say no, they don't discriminate against age. Plus someone in their twenties is not old!

Thanks guys, you guys make me feel so much better:)

Hi!
Thanks so much guys

Try for the 08 cycle. If you're sure on dentistry, the earlier the better. Why wait? I was in your situation too, didn't decide to do dentistry until senior year (this year) actually. You don't really need research just shadowing and a kick ass GPA or DAT. I managed to squeeze in 60hrs of shadowing at 3 offices in 2 months, studying for the DAT is draining though. good luck!