Does Digeorge syndrome impact B cells?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says,

Does having a lack of a thymus and thus a decrease in T lymphocytes have a significant impact on B cells? I would assume since the B and T cells can't interact B cells can't undergo isotype switching and thus would either present as Hyper-IgM or low levels of Ig but I haven't seen anything on this.

If not, why are B cell intact?

Members don't see this ad.

DiGeorge syndrome is most commonly due to thymic hypoplasia and, therefore, there are enough T cells present for class switching etc.
It can present as a variable spectrum of disorders depending on the degree of T cell deficiency and a complete absence of thymus and T-cells will present with SCID phenotype.
The classic DiGeorge syndrome is HY for Step 1.
Another HY point being that DiGeorge syndrome is a genetic risk factor for schizophrenia.

Reactions: 1 users
DiGeorge syndrome is most commonly due to thymic hypoplasia and, therefore, there are enough T cells present for class switching etc.
It can present as a variable spectrum of disorders depending on the degree of T cell deficiency and a complete absence of thymus and T-cells will present with SCID phenotype.
The classic DiGeorge syndrome is HY for Step 1.
Another HY point being that DiGeorge syndrome is a genetic risk factor for schizophrenia.

Perfect, exact explanation I was hoping for, thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
As transposony has said the phenotypes vary. On the Usmle they want you to know it's T cell. If they mention infections with bacteria, viruses, protozoa, etc., they're referring to B and T cells and the answer is SCID. Just obviously be on the lookout for other relevant information in the vignette that might support DDx and use your best judgment.

Reactions: 1 user