Does doing dual enrollment in high school and starting pre-med as a junior affect my admission?

A4917

Reaction score
I’m currently a sophomore in high school and I have the option to do dual enrollment which will let me start as a junior in undergrad when I graduate high school because I would have my associates.
I’m worried that it will affect how med schools see me as I would be applying to Undergrad as a transfer student. I also worry I won’t be able to complete all the pre-reqs, and extracurriculars that they look for. I also believe the MCAT is taken your junior year, so does that mean I should start studying as a senior in high school?

Is it better just to not do it at all?
Or am I overthinking.
Thanks in Advance

Members don't see this ad.

Not overthinking. Will depend greatly on the details of how your dual enrollment program works and if you can get through the mcat pre reqs before finishing HS. You may have to strategically take classes as a junior to complete mcat stuff and take it in a timely manner. Alternatively you could slow things down and and take 3 years after your dual program to finish up the requirements.

Truthfully the biggest issue will be grades. Obviously any college courses you take will be part of your gpa and that will be a big factor. You haven’t started yet so it’s hard to say how challenging you will find the coursework and whether you’re able to make As with a heavy science load. You’ll figure this out though and can adjust your schedule accordingly.

I would prioritize thus:

1) make As. Do whatever it takes for this. College grades count forever.

2) plan your schedule to ideally apply senior year but be prepared to extend that if needed for grades or a killer mcat.

3) add in ECs and volunteering and shadowing as able but never compromise grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
My suggestion is to dual enroll if you want to, I would not recommend taking any MCAT/med school pre-reqs in HS. I think it would be better to ease into college courses so I would get humanities/easier classes out of the way. I also wouldn't recommend taking med school/MCAT pre-reqs because of the timing of the MCAT, I think it is best to try and take those classes soon to when you plan on sitting for the exam. Also, most dual enrolling to my knowledge is at community colleges (which isn't bad) but some schools don't take CC pre-reqs.

Do not, under any circumstance, start studying for the MCAT your senior year of high school.

Don't rush things. I think over 50% of med students take a gap yer and that is increasing, at my #1 school 80%+ take gap years and over 50% take more than 2.

Reactions: 1 user
There are sort of 2 questions here.
Im not an expert, but I’ll do my best to answer each one.

First- will it affect how schools see you? Assuming you succeed in the program, no. They will probably see you as very intelligent and motivated!

Second- basically, is this plausible. Of course if the program is being offered, its possible. But college is hard and medical s book is hard!! Trying to adjust to college work load and study style and schedule a life on your own, while preparing for the MCAT and trying to take the MCAT could be a recipe for disaster. I’m not saying it can’t be done, just that it will be a real challenge. And yes, you would have to start MCAT studying in High School which you may find overwhelming if you haven’t had the courses. The other option is to take a year off between college and medical school so you could start studying the summer after your first year of college. You would be pretty young when you started still and could get some great experience.
Long story short, you can do it. You seem really motivated and smart to be thinking all this through, but the question is do you want to, or do you want to enjoy college and take your time. Personally I thought undergrad and my masters were some of the best times in my life. I’m enjoying medical school as well, but I’m glad I didn’t skip those things. I actually spent a year abroad doing a one year master’s and it was one of the best things I’ve done personally and educationally.

Best of luck whatever you do. Feel free to PM me

I’m currently a sophomore in high school and I have the option to do dual enrollment which will let me start as a junior in undergrad when I graduate high school because I would have my associates.
I’m worried that it will affect how med schools see me as I would be applying to Undergrad as a transfer student. I also worry I won’t be able to complete all the pre-reqs, and extracurriculars that they look for. I also believe the MCAT is taken your junior year, so does that mean I should start studying as a senior in high school?

Is it better just to not do it at all?
Or am I overthinking.
Thanks in Advance

Just finish high school in the normal fashion and take your time. No medical school is going to admit you when you are 20. Take all of the most rigorous science classes you can in high school but do not take them for AP credit. You want to start all over again when you are a college freshman to rack up as many "A"s as you can.

Reactions: 1 user