Does doublemajoring or minoring help? or taking more courses than on prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ttlu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Biochemistry/Chemistry major now but I am planning to either double major or minor in Economics. I realize that I would still need to take extra classes outside of my major to fulfill pharm prereqs such as physiology/anatomy,etc. My major also already requires more classes than pharmacy prereqs require (more ochem, more chem, more math, more physics, etc). In terms of admissions and review process, does it matter to double major or minor? Does it look better to take more science/math classes then required? Or do pharmacy schools not care about that and only care about their prereq classes? Do pharmacy weigh in number of and difficulty of classes?

Please educate me :(
Thank you for your knowledge!

Members don't see this ad.

Many pharmacy school applicants/students don't hold dual degrees (well not dual BA's), mainly because not many people can accomplish two degrees in two completely unrelated fields of study (such as biology and english) at the same time.

Anything that is not a requirement, usually isn't enough to make or break your application. Sure, it may be enough to differentiate you from someone who has similar stats to yours, but it's not going to take precedence over the core requirements stated and other supplimental requirements.

Basically, get the dual degree if that is what really interested you, and keep in mind the time requirements needed to obtain a dual degree. However, I wouldn't go out and get one just because you think it will make that much of a difference or that big of a impression towards the admission's panel

My advice is focus on a particular field of study that you are passionate about, do your best, do some research, and do some extracurricular activites related to your field of study. In the end, it will pay off.

p.s. I knew a person who got a dual ba in history and biology, and he took 7 years to do it................................................ I dunno what he was thinking.

Last edited:
If you want to double major or minor in something, do it. Stop worrying about what pharmacy schools think. It's YOUR life and YOUR college experience. YOU should be in control of it, no?

I agree. It's your decision to double major. However, I will say that they are looking for well rounded students to add to their program. UNC wants you to have "lifetime fitness" as a pre-req...it's just like anything else...you have to play the game.