Does ethnicity hurt your chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

Beoz

Being an Indian, I know there are a disproportionate amount of Indians in medical schools across the nation. Is there any reverse discrimination for over represented people (Indians, White Males etc . . . )

Members don't see this ad.

You may be sorry you asked....... :wink: Just wait until Watcha sees this question.......... :wink:

Welcome to SDN!! :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Beoz:
•Being an Indian, I know there are a disproportionate amount of Indians in medical schools across the nation. Is there any reverse discrimination for over represented people (Indians, White Males etc . . . )•••••Are you looking for an excuse to not apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody is looking for an excuse. I am positive I will get into at least my state school (OU). I was just wondering . . . I have heard some things from practicing MD's about reverse discrimination.

In short, yes there is reverse discrimination. If you are in an ethnic group that is over-represented in medicine compared to your percentage in the population, on average you will need to be a stronger applicant than someone from an underrepresented group to get into med school.

I'm not sure that I would call it reverse descrimination, because you'll be on the same level as ~90% of the applicants (guessing). But you will be descriminated against.