Does ethnicity really matter that much

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jlawfence

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does ethnicity matter that much?...................
Ive heard some people say that before in seminars and stuff but didnt think much of it.
But i looked at this site and it made me really worried.

http://prospectivedoctor.com/chance-predictor

I am white and it looks I have a disadvantage......my grades i thought were ok, but now i dont know. Please let me know. Is this wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

Ive heard some people say that before in seminars and stuff but didnt think much of it.

I am white and it looks I have a disadvantage......my grades i thought were ok, but now i dont know. Please let me know. Is this wrong?

Yes it can make a very big difference. I got into an MD school with less than a 3.1 GPA.

However.

tumblr_m6khrszKWe1qzyj5fo1_400.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it can make a very big difference. I got into an MD school with less than a 3.1 GPA.

However.

tumblr_m6khrszKWe1qzyj5fo1_400.gif

What ethnicity are you? I could've sworn you were asian, but I don't quite remember. We interviewed in Sept. and I completely forgot what you look like.

In on inevitable stormfront thread :thumbup:

images

checking in!

Feelsgoodman

I would put very little stock in that site. It might be fun to play with, but your overall application involves so much more than the numeric indicators that the tool asks for you to plug in. Research, clinical experience, depth of experiences, personality, other ECs, etc., are important in determining what medical schools will say yea or nay to your app.

As far as ethnicity: Yes, it can play a role. But don't bank on it or be discouraged by it, depending on your situation. Just do what you can to make the rest of your application excellent.

You are what you are and you can't change it.

You have to be better than ~60% of the applicants who are like you (by ethnicity/race/sex). "Better" is hard to pin down although gpa and MCAT plays a big part. Be the best you can be and hope that it is good enough to get you an offer of admission. But remember, most applicants are not successful at gaining admission to at least one school. :(

I don't really feel like i am competing with everyone rather, it feels a competition between people of my own race.

In what group do you compete if you don't select a race on your Primary?
Are we competing against our entire ethnic group or the subset? ( Chinese vs Asian, Pakistani vs Asian, Chinese vs Asian).

Simply put, if you apply and don't get in, it's not because of your race.

AMCAS provides data on admissions by race/Hispanic ethnicity and provides information for Asian, Black, Hispanic, and White applicants and matriculants. I would bet that "no answer" and "other" are somewhere between white and Asian and "Native Americans, etc" are somewhere between Black and Hispanic. Long story short, about 40% of applicants from each broad category get admitted to medical school. If you are among the top 40% within your racial/Hispanic ethnicity group, you are likely to get admitted. What constitutes "top 40%" is based on grades, scores, recommendations, essays, experiences, and interview performance.

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS provides data on admissions by race/Hispanic ethnicity and provides information for Asian, Black, Hispanic, and White applicants and matriculants. I would bet that "no answer" and "other" are somewhere between white and Asian and "Native Americans, etc" are somewhere between Black and Hispanic. Long story short, about 40% of applicants from each broad category get admitted to medical school. If you are among the top 40% within your racial/Hispanic ethnicity group, you are likely to get admitted. What constitutes "top 40%" is based on grades, scores, recommendations, essays, experiences, and interview performance.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Basically, if you're black/hispanic/amerindian and have stats at least marginally competitive, you're guaranteed an acceptance. Aside from that it doesn't really matter.

Inb4 "dey took our jobs."

Kinda sucks for filipino applicants..threads about my race are in the archives almost lol. With the exception of U of Utah (URM status over there ?), I'm clumped in the Asian category (with high-expectation parents):bang::bang:

Unfortunately, not only in my Asian category, but in my subset moreso; most of my people are traditional gunners, especially who were born and raised back in the islands where studying is the one and only priority.

Pity party's over - time to ace this bio finals in an hour ..:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

As an aside: I greatly approve of Lizzy M's avatar change. :D

I actually liked her old avatar better. The new one somehow makes me a bit nervous... :oops:

I just feel conflicted because for a really long time I pictured LizzyM as looking like Jane Lynch the same way I thought NickNaylor looked like Drake. I know their just avatars but still lol