Does financial aid cover living expenses during medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liane Rae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in Michigan. My parents' income is sky high and they're making me pay everything on my own and it's very difficult to get financial aid. I had applied for FAFSA and I only got a subsidized loan because of course you have to include your parents' income and I do not qualify for work-study.

I am currently working and living at home commuting to save money for my living expenses during medical school. I would like an apartment during my undergrad instead of living with my parents for the next three years. I know a lot of pre-med kids who are able to do this but I'm assuming they take out loans during medical school for their living expenses?

Can I get loans for living expenses as a dependent during medical school? Will it even be possible for me to get loans for medical school tuition when my parents have high income? I am worried about this and my parents refuse to realize that there are limitations.

Members don't see this ad.

During medical school you are independent regardless of what you are by tax purposes. Since subsidized staffords are gone for grad students anyway including the parental info can't hurt you. Everyone will be eligible for the full amount of unsubsidized staffords and grad plus to fill the gap up to the cost of attendance. Giving parental information only makes you possibly eligible for other need-based aid like Perkins loans and institutional aid.