Does getting a double major help you get into good schools???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A double major helps or not

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

doctorsj

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious if getting a double major help you get into top med schools, because the UCSF website says that they want you to focus deeply on your particular subject of interest rather than studying too many areas.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think a double major counts as studying too many areas.

The general consensus on this forum is that double-majors or masters do NOT help.

A good GPA, MCAT score, and a balanced application is what helps.

If you are thinking of double-majoring for the sole purpose of "helping" your chances of getting into medical school, then don't. If you are doing it because you wan to do it and don't mind the extra load, then it's your decision to go ahead with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about "top" schools, but I feel like mine helped. I had a science-y one and a non-science-y one, and had research in both areas. But honestly, my second major helped the GPA, and I did it because I liked it, which I think showed in my essays. Had it hurt the GPA, I'd have dropped it like it was hot.

Also be sure to not declare a second major on AMCAS if you aren't sure you can finish it. I think my acceptance is conditional on finishing both now.

Well, I mean they just want you to focus more on one subject of your interest omegaxx

Well, I mean they just want you to focus more on one subject of your interest omegaxx

I don't think that adcoms are so narrow-minded that they believe that every person should have one and only one interest. I had two minors in subjects completely unrelated to each other, and only 1 or 2 interviewers ever asked or commented on it, and even then it was just a passing comment.

Again, do it only if you really WANT to, and if you don't mind the load. Also, take care of your GPA and what two majors might do to it.

LOL It's always good to focus. I am finishing up my double major in a science and a humanities field so there is virtually no crossover. Thus far in this cycle I have been more than blessed.

At my school, a major requires a certain degree of focus, which is 1 full-year's credit worth of upper level courses in that field and related fields at my school. So I essentially allocated my courseload to focus on my science major in my junior year and my humanities major in my senior year. I had to take plenty of extra credits to cover other stuff I was interested in but were not absolutely required. I also dished in plenty of scientific research related to my science major. It had been great fun for me (well, minus the f&&&ed up exam schedules).

So personally, I think as long as you show you aren't doing any less work in your area of interest than your fellow major students it should be fine. Doing double major should be considered a plus because it just shows you can juggle more! My humanities major has also been brought up very frequently (more so than my research) at all of my interviews. Maybe my interviewers were just being nice and trying to start a conversation while they secretly don't give a s&&&, but I sure found it great to have had something to talk about that I was very passionate about!

My 2 cents: just do the things you really, really enjoy and which will not ruin your GPA. Best of luck with UCSF (my dream school...if only I were a US resident:( )!

Double major if you care about the topic, but doing a 2nd major JUST to get into medical school is idiotic since it won't help you either way.

If it ends up taking up more time than you otherwise would have dedicated to some other helpful activity (research, volunteering, whatever) then it might even hurt you, so it's pretty silly.

Thanks a lot omegaxx....:love:

Thanks a lot omegaxx....:love:

I know you are biased toward the double-major because you are a nervous, overly anxious pre-med (like most of us once were) and you are desperately trying to hold on to anything that might improve your chances.

Do NOT do the double major just for the sake of your application, because it will NOT help you either way. It might even get in the way of getting other substantial experience done (such as research, volunteering, non-medical hobbies or non-medical organizations).

I know you are biased toward the double-major because you are a nervous, overly anxious pre-med (like most of us once were) and you are desperately trying to hold on to anything that might improve your chances.

Do NOT do the double major just for the sake of your application, because it will NOT help you either way. It might even get in the way of getting other substantial experience done (such as research, volunteering, non-medical hobbies or non-medical organizations).

Baylor are you in med school? I mean have you interviewed yet and been accepted?

Baylor are you in med school? I mean have you interviewed yet and been accepted?

Her title says MS0, which means she's been accepted but hasn't matriculated. She's going to UT Southwestern next year, I believe.

Her title says MS0, which means she's been accepted but hasn't matriculated. She's going to UT Southwestern next year, I believe.

I was just wondering, because I don't think saying a double major hurts or helps is really known... To me anything say you worked a little bit harder is a good thing...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering, because I don't think saying a double major hurts or helps is really known... To me anything say you worked a little bit harder is a good thing...

Yet you haven't interviewed or been accepted.... k.

I'm posting so my avatar dog can be near microgal's.

Yes, I have interviewed and gotten accepted. I am saying it doesn't help or hurt because that is the truth. Doing well in what you do is what matters. There are thousands of people out there with only 1 major that do research, that work, that volunteer, that play music, etc, and all these things combined show that you can handle a busy schedule and that you have other interests beside medicine. Having a double major just for the sake of "improving" an application is of no benefit. Like I said before, the OP should only do it IF he wants to do it for the sake of the major, not for the sake of his application. Do it only if you want to major in two areas because you love them, not because of any other reason. There is plenty out there you can do (things you would enjoy) that would show that you are a good applicant.

Now, looking back with my 20/20 hindsight, I also realize how many things we (pre-meds) do for the sake of our applications, things that in reality have no worth or influence in it. We do them because we are nervous and anxious and we believe that if we pick up an extra minor or an extra major, or if you join the Golden Key Whatever Society, it will help. In reality, all you need is a major you like, a good GPA, to kick the MCATs butt, to have substantial clinical experience, and to act like a human being (AKA, have interests outside of medicine).

The general consensus on this forum is that double-majors or masters do NOT help.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

BTW she has a signature that sums her story up. {baylormed} :love:

Back to the topic, one major is plenty. Above all else, rock the MCAT.

I had two degrees and I don't think it helped or hurt me. In all honesty I think my diverse courseload helped alittle... gave me things to talk about during the interview. But if you have other things that are interesting about your application, not even that will be a huge bump.

3 separate bachelor's degrees, 1 master's

only 32R on the MCAT = still just accepted to state school

Tread carefully with what you are implying. Baylormed is a highly respected and valuable member of this community.

Anastasis how is this guy not banned yet?? Is he related to a mod or something? My guess is since most of the mods and supermods jump in and out of the forums they don't know what kind of damage this guy is capable of.

Whether a double major can help you, who knows, maybe. But it can definitely hurt you if it makes you do worse in classes.

Tread carefully with what you are implying. Baylormed is a highly respected and valuable member of this community.

Agree. eternalrage, Anastasis, baylormed, and braluk are all on my buddy list. You mess with them, you mess with me. :D

Anastasis how is this guy not banned yet?? Is he related to a mod or something? My guess is since most of the mods and supermods jump in and out of the forums they don't know what kind of damage this guy is capable of.

Whether a double major can help you, who knows, maybe. But it can definitely hurt you if it makes you do worse in classes.

Maybe he's the Mods alter ego. :eek:

*Sunny hatching new SDN conspiracy theories*

Agree. eternalrage, Anastasis, baylormed, and braluk are all on my buddy list. You mess with them, you mess with me. :D

*Sunny miffed that she was not includes-consoles herself knowing she is a proud member of "The TEXAS SDN TITANS" and the "PHILANTHROPIST IS MY BABY-DADDY CLUB"!*

*Sunny miffed that she was not includes-consoles herself knowing she is a proud member of "The TEXAS SDN TITANS" and the "PHILANTHROPIST IS MY BABY-DADDY CLUB"!*

what is this club? is being texan automatically get you in? do i need LORs? maybe FDH will write one for me

what is this club? is being texan automatically get you in? do i need LORs? maybe FDH will write one for me

All Texans, native and free born are welcome. Transplants are also welcome (as long as they don't go to DC and act the fool)

All Texans, native and free born are welcome. Transplants are also welcome (as long as they don't go to DC and act the fool)

See I'm not even in the club. I have visited the airports in Dallas and Houston, but I have only slept a few nights inside the border of the lone star state. Maybe someday...

Actually it's a coincidence that I'm down with the above-named Texans. Most on my buddy list are from all over.

sunnyjohn, today is the first time I remember seeing you.

Sorry to get off topic.

OP, just do your best in whatever you are doing. When med school commences, you will forget most of what you knew before you got there.

Critical Mass said:
Agree. eternalrage, Anastasis, baylormed, and braluk are all on my buddy list. You mess with them, you mess with me.

**Aw shucks**

:love: A little tear just came out of my eyes. I'm so proud. Thanks guys. :love:

ah that matters is how you do. if you have a 3.4 with a double major they will take preference to a 3.7 with a single major.

Gpa Mcat, Gpa Mcat, Gpa Mcat Mcat Mcat

(I typed these in all caps, but the stupid web site changes the case.)

I mean it can't hurt, just shows that you're willing to handle a courseload. Im a double major (Chem and Bio) but only because there's so much overlap, I only needed to get a Chem degree + my pre-med classes and then like 2 more for a bio degree, so why not?

But as I said, it can't hurt as long as your GPA doesnt suffer.

ah that matters is how you do. if you have a 3.4 with a double major they will take preference to a 3.7 with a single major.

That doesn't make sense to me. All a second major means is that you take enough of your elective courses in a certain department for fulfill the major requirements. I guess some people might need to take heavier course loads to fulfill the requirements, but then we're talking about the effects of heavy course loads on admissions rather than double majors.

As long as one of the majors is not a science.

Being double major doesn't help you get interviews, but during interview, if you tell interviewers that you majored in more than one major, they will be impressed.

-from my experience (I have bachelor with two majors and a master)