Does going to medical school in America make you a better doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C. Ronaldo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am trying to weigh up whether to go to medical school in America or Europe, or somewhere else in the world. America has a very good health care system and the doctors seem to know what they are doing. Is going to medical school in America make you a more knowledgable doctor than going to medical school somewhere else in the world.

Members don't see this ad.

not really, but it is easier to get an american residency through an american school. I'd personally go to the Carribean over Europe.

One of my roommates is Turkish and did med school there. just passed the boards. he's extremely smart and able, but he is here at my med school so he can get a PhD in neuroscience from an American school. He says it is probably the only way for him to get a good residency in neurosurg or neurology here.

America is the best at everything, including being modest. We have hot women, sauve men, huge guns, fast cars, and a special kind of swagger known as the "big swinging d*ick." So, of course our medical schools are toooootally sweet, just like everything else here. Sure you could go somewhere else and study the latest from Galen and Hippocrities, but if you want to be a REAL doctor you've got to go to school in the good ole U-S-of-A...that is unless you really want to learn about blood-letting and bark chewing.

Members don't see this ad :)
What European schools are you talking about? If you are not a citizen of country where you want to apply to medical school, your chances of getting in are zero. Most European nations have a government subsidized education which limits available spots only for very qualified domestic applicants. I don’t think the US medical education is any better than the medical education in other countries, however, the superb medical innovations and technology makes the US health care one of the best in the world.

ouch...

alot of foreign grads do really well.

i would prefer a u.s. school due to getting u.s. residency and the state licensing red tape, but i've worked with many foreign grads and they're awight'.

let's see... north dakota u. school of medicine with testicle deep snow 8 months out of the year (?), or st. george in grenada with warm weather, clear water, and chicks.
unfortunately, i'd pick north dakota simply for the residency etc.

Dr. Donkey said:
America is the best at everything, including being modest.
time to wake up from your dream now :D

C. Ronaldo said:
Hello. I am trying to weigh up whether to go to medical school in America or Europe, or somewhere else in the world. America has a very good health care system and the doctors seem to know what they are doing. Is going to medical school in America make you a more knowledgable doctor than going to medical school somewhere else in the world.

Depends on where you want to practice. If you want to practice in America within the American system, then obviously being educated by the American system better prepares you. Just like a French medical education would help you better adapt and practice within the French medical system. Its not just the art of doctoring, its the bureaucracy, documentation, procedures and regulations that make a difference.

If you're looking at pure "knowledge", then in my humble opinion US medical grads have access to a great deal of research and technology that they can effectively leverage. While the intelligence level of docs across countries may be similar, I think that access to resources is also a contributing factor to "knowledge". However, thats just my $.02

Last but not the least, I hope I didn't just feed a troll :eek:

The word troll might be construed as too endearing. I wish to propose a more demeaning moniker like crap-muffin or anal-cake, as in, "Last but not the least, I hope I didn't just feed an anal-cake."

TripleDegree said:
Depends on where you want to practice. If you want to practice in America within the American system, then obviously being educated by the American system better prepares you. Just like a French medical education would help you better adapt and practice within the French medical system. Its not just the art of doctoring, its the bureaucracy, documentation, procedures and regulations that make a difference.

If you're looking at pure "knowledge", then in my humble opinion US medical grads have access to a great deal of research and technology that they can effectively leverage. While the intelligence level of docs across countries may be similar, I think that access to resources is also a contributing factor to "knowledge". However, thats just my $.02

Last but not the least, I hope I didn't just feed a troll :eek:

Dr. Donkey said:
The word troll might be construed as too endearing. I wish to propose a more demeaning moniker like crap-muffin or anal-cake, as in, "Last but not the least, I hope I didn't just feed an anal-cake."

I support the re-nomenclaturing of the "Trollus erectus" species to "Anal cakilla"

:laugh:

TripleDegree said:
Depends on where you want to practice. If you want to practice in America within the American system, then obviously being educated by the American system better prepares you.

I totally agree. If you were born in the USA and plan to practice here, why would you go elsewhere to study medicine? You can always do mission trips or externships if you want to experience practicing medicine in the carribean or Europe. However, i was told by a physician recruiter that it is hard to get a job and or residency if you are from the US and leave for a medical education. She suggested I do a DO program over going to the Carribean.

in the history of medicine, the great minds flocked to the center of medical science at the time for thier education, whether it be france or scottland or, for the last 80 some years, the good ole' usa.

Where you go to school does not really effect how good of a doctor you will become. There are definitely some things that certain medical schools emphasize and certain schools obviously have better reputations as far as USMLE scores and placing people in residencies, but for the most part, the school you attend does not have a whole lot of bearing on how good of a doctor you will be. That depends more on you as a person, your personality, and how much you dedicate yourself to your profession.

EMT-CO32 said:
Where you go to school does not really effect how good of a doctor you will become. There are definitely some things that certain medical schools emphasize and certain schools obviously have better reputations as far as USMLE scores and placing people in residencies, but for the most part, the school you attend does not have a whole lot of bearing on how good of a doctor you will be. That depends more on you as a person, your personality, and how much you dedicate yourself to your profession.

Great post! :thumbup: :thumbup:

-tx

Dr. Donkey said:
America is the best at everything, including being modest. We have hot women, sauve men, huge guns, fast cars, and a special kind of swagger known as the "big swinging d*ick." So, of course our medical schools are toooootally sweet, just like everything else here. Sure you could go somewhere else and study the latest from Galen and Hippocrities, but if you want to be a REAL doctor you've got to go to school in the good ole U-S-of-A...that is unless you really want to learn about blood-letting and bark chewing.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Dr. Donkey said:
LOLLLL
loves it!
ur a funny dude/chick
welcome to sdn

dude given the choice i would go with US..PM me if you want my personal reasons

America has fast cars but we import them from Europe. Also, we drive our imported fast cars an average of 21.8 mph. That isn't putting the 6 liter v12 to good use.

C. Ronaldo said:
America has a very good health care system and the doctors seem to know what they are doing.

The first half of your sentence is a myth. The second half is true.

America has some of the world's most cutting edge medical breakthroughs, but we have a $hitty health care system in terms of numbers of people recieving adequate, affordable health care.

However, you will get a good medical education in the U.S.

i think in this land of the free and home of the brave..yer on your own ..so eat smart and take ur asprin