Does Goljian Audio help/is it worth it after doing Pathoma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there are a lot of threads comparing them. But in terms of putting mnemonics etc., is it worth it? I have his slides, and I was planning on glancing at them as I am decent with Path.

But I always forget little details and picmonic is terrible for the mnemonics in my opinion.

Does he give nice little examples to help memorize the different pathologies?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Pathoma wasn't around when I was studying and I listened to Goljan, I found it helpful. If you want to change it up I would definitely give it a listen when you are exercising, in the car etc.

Survivor DO

I did both -- mainly bc I was fascinated at how Goljan can integrate things. He did teach me a few things that I honestly would have never known had I not listened to him. I prob wouldnt listen to his audio if i was in crunch time, but definitely enjoyed it over the last 2 yrs

Members don't see this ad :)
Goljian > Pathoma

thanks for all the input.

not that i have time left anyways, but can you elaborate on why you feel this way? what specifically attracts you to goljian?

i guess ill just review my week points with him if i have time while im driving

They're very, very different resources. Pathoma is a great baseline - he explains basic concepts very concisely and clearly.

Golijan is the maser of integrating and pointing out insights that aren't in most other resources. There are, however, big gaps. The value is in the little nuggets of brilliance. There is a lot of excess BS ranting though.

Both are good for boards in very different ways.

They're very, very different resources. Pathoma is a great baseline - he explains basic concepts very concisely and clearly.

Golijan is the maser of integrating and pointing out insights that aren't in most other resources. There are, however, big gaps. The value is in the little nuggets of brilliance. There is a lot of excess BS ranting though.

Both are good for boards in very different ways.

You make a good point. Pathoma is for people who need to understand the basics I see what your saying.

Maybe try listening to goljian and annotate in that pathoma book (its so concise and small).

I heard there's a transcript of the goljan lectures floating around--is this true?

goljan is great, but very time consuming. i would recommend it for during the school year, not dedicated time

Separate question, didn't want to start a new thread:

Anyone know of any programs on the iPad or on windows that can allow me to watch Pathoma at 2x or faster? I'm one week out and I'm still weak on a few things, so I'm trying to brush up a bit. I bought the program, btw.

Anyone know of any programs on the iPad or on windows that can allow me to watch Pathoma at 2x or faster? I'm one week out and I'm still weak on a few things, so I'm trying to brush up a bit. I bought the program, btw.

I use VLC Media Player

I used Goljan's audio before I did Pathoma, but it's better to do another pass of Pathoma rather than Goljan. I've done 6000 qbank questions already and have yet to see any of the questions he spends so much time on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Goljan's audio before I did Pathoma, but it's better to do another pass of Pathoma rather than Goljan. I've done 6000 qbank questions already and have yet to see any of the questions he spends so much time on.

:confused: I've done 1000 uworld questions and have seen many?

Assuming you have the video files as well: AVPlayerHD is the best. I've tried them all.

:confused: I've done 1000 uworld questions and have seen many?

not including the basic general knowledge stuff, that is also covered in pathoma or first aid. i just don't see much value in goljan's lectures if you are already using pathoma.

not including the basic general knowledge stuff, that is also covered in pathoma or first aid. i just don't see much value in goljan's lectures if you are already using pathoma.

Eh, I've listened to both of them and they have their strengths and weaknesses. Goljan's material has definitely shown up a few places here and there, and so has what Dr. Sattar says. They're both pretty good. I zoomed through Goljan's audio in about 2 1/2 days. It was worth it to me just to get a fresh perspective on things.

lol what are you saying here? Stuff in goljian is in pathoma is in first aid? No way bro! The point of these resources isn't so you can get extra information. It's for a different, fresh presentation to get it to sink in in a different way.

lol what are you saying here? Stuff in goljian is in pathoma is in first aid? No way bro! The point of these resources isn't so you can get extra information. It's for a different, fresh presentation to get it to sink in in a different way.

you can disagree if you want, i'm just telling it from my own experience. just like some people swear by DIT, while after I went through it my scores didn't improve at all. same with goljan audio. the resources that have helped me in terms of actually scoring higher are UWorld, Pathoma, Kaplan videos, and FA. there is a difference between what "feels" like it helped versus score improvers on NBMEs.

it's just like how you can be stuck at the 240 level for 3 months and even after doubling what you know about medicine, you are still stuck at the same score. whereas if you just figure out the 10 top concepts that's been tripping you up, you can break through to the 250 level immediately.

I passively listened to Goljan on road trips over the semester. He has some good things he ties together but wow...that man rambles on so much. Unfortunately I remember the tales of his marathon-ing friend better than anything else...

you can disagree if you want, i'm just telling it from my own experience. just like some people swear by DIT, while after I went through it my scores didn't improve at all. same with goljan audio. the resources that have helped me in terms of actually scoring higher are UWorld, Pathoma, Kaplan videos, and FA. there is a difference between what "feels" like it helped versus score improvers on NBMEs.

it's just like how you can be stuck at the 240 level for 3 months and even after doubling what you know about medicine, you are still stuck at the same score. whereas if you just figure out the 10 top concepts that's been tripping you up, you can break through to the 250 level immediately.

It's hard for me to tell what's really helping me because I don't do one source at a time. But he goes through a ton of stuff in first aid, easy to remember things about presentations that clue you in, and makes links of pathogenesis from different systems. I mean yea, most is in first aid but so is most of everything. I use it as a break in my day listen to it at 1.4x speed and write down interesting helpful stuff. But I mean did you just do goljian and then take a practice test, how do you know it didn't help you remember some random ****?

I read pathoma too, just don't listen to his vids because it's mainly just reading his notes. That helps a ton too. I would do both. Read first aid/pathoma and listen to goljian isn't unreasonable, and I don't see the point of listening to something more than once.

But I think for goljian, the way I'm doing it is more helpful - I listen to 1 lecture a day. So right now I just listened to a GI lecture, something I read in first aid a couple weeks ago, so it's great reinforcement. I just had a problem with you saying it's useless because it really isn't useless. Most resources outside of Uworld + first aid aren't "needed".

I passively listened to Goljan on road trips over the semester. He has some good things he ties together but wow...that man rambles on so much. Unfortunately I remember the tales of his marathon-ing friend better than anything else...

Yeah, I gave rapid review about 10 pages, and it just didn't vibe. Decided I could at least give the audio a shot and listen to it in the car or something, but my god, something about it just does not work for me, couldn't make it through a lecture. So hopefully no Goljan won't be any detriment :)

If you see my other thread I just started, this is my exact situation.... Ummm how did you pick out the 10 concepts you've been weak in, because my NBME's are totally all over the place.