Does hard work pay off in premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ese2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I study hard and do my best in premed courses, will that pay off for a high gpa? I ask this because I am not a genius or overly smart by anyone's standards. I'm getting a high GPA in difficult classes in my high school SOLELY through hard work.

But in colleges with a strong premed program, I'm going to be competing with so many people working as hard as I am, and probably smarter than me too. Can I compete with these people to get an A? Are most to all premeds naturally gifted intellectually? Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Some people can work very hard and they still can't maintain the grades required for admittance to med school. But usually, I'd say yes, if you work hard enough (and study efficiently) you will likely be successful, even if you're not naturally intelligent or a "science person".

Also, stop comparing yourself to others. It's useless and discouraging. It's impossible for you to accurately judge how hard other people work, or how intelligent they are, or how well they're doing.

Reactions: 7 users
If I study hard and do my best in premed courses, will that pay off for a high gpa? I ask this because I am not a genius or overly smart by anyone's standards. I'm getting a high GPA in difficult classes in my high school SOLELY through hard work.

But in colleges with a strong premed program, I'm going to be competing with so many people working as hard as I am, and probably smarter than me too. Can I compete with these people to get an A? Are most to all premeds naturally gifted intellectually? Thank you.
Work hard, try your best, and let the chips fall where they may. None of us can see the future. If you aren't getting the grades that you want, be sure to identify and fix the problem asap. FWIW, most premeds, medical students and doctors are not geniuses or naturally gifted. Hard work pays off for most people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Work hard but also work SMART. You don't need to be a genius to leverage all of the resources that are available to you.

Ask your friends for help when you study. Go to study groups. Ask upper-classmen what the easy classes are. Talk to the premed advisors. This is another way of working hard and will help you immensely in the future.

Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration.

Hard work always pays off, as does being respectful to those around you. You'll find that through hard work, a good attitude towards others, and being proactive, you'll be afforded far more opportunities than the average student.

I think I was successful in undergrad because of:
1. my work ethic
2. making sure I used all resources available to me (professor offices hours, TA sessions, being a TA myself, writing centers, etc.)
3. making sure I made time for activities outside of school to keep my sanity (aka work hard, play harder)

Reactions: 1 users
I think you might be over-estimating your classmates or underestimating yourself. If you are getting strong grades in pre-med - you are probably in the category of "not stupid" along with the other pre-meds who are getting good grades. They probably are working hard - maybe just as hard/harder - you just don't know it.

You have to understand the following 3 types of classes:

1. Doesn't matter how many office hours you attend, everything depends on your intelligence
2. Going to office hours actually really helps
3. Doesn't matter if you go to office hours or not, you are probably though going to be helped in office hours because you get the LOR

Premed is absolutely doable if you are smart and you know your capacity. If a kid who has done terrible in HS comes with the 4.0 mindset, it is wise that the student make the semester courseload easier at the beginning and catch up by taking summer classes (but of course some summer courses are not suited to be condensed so choose wisely the classes you take and with who you take them with), as opposed to rushing since they may not have AP credits to get ahead.
If you are smart, don't be overconfident with your potential. Look at professor rating and don't put yourself with a professor that is terrible just because you do great regardless...even if the class average is a 45 and there is a curve, there is no gaurantee you will get an A even if you think you are an above average student. Pick the professor that is straightforward. Some professors that are straightforward may still have averages around 45 so that can be deceiving.
Be proactive about seeking opportunities. Seek out fellowships that you can obtain early so that you can plan ahead and finish most of everything by end of junior year for app season to see.
Spend as much time in the library as you can but realize that once you find the key to succeeding in your classes, it is okay if you decide to reserve some tickets to an athletic game and see university life. This experience comes once in a lifetime but do not sacrifice your education for it, it should only be used to deflate from the stressors around you.
Do not waste time being neurotic. Ask people what they are doing, how they are doing it, but do not be that kid that constantly compares. Pick a major that is useful...not by and large theoretical and not applicable...should you fall in the gap year schemata.
When mapping out summer activities, if you take classes in the summer, try fitting in hospital volunteering and shadowing as small time commitments so that you won't stress about them later.
If you happen to find REU and other things enticing, prepare applications for it during winter break and ask your professors ahead of time so that you can apply to as many programs as possible.
Your career services also hosts a lot of summer programs/internships with possible employers. Just because you are a traditional applicant, don't pass those up. Go to them, meet with people, understand their interviewing process, and get the position if you like. It'll teach you about something unique.
Take the MCAT the august that is 1 year prior to your app cycle!

@erics2814:

Hard work will certainly help. One thing though, I was similar to you in HS - ok smart (not scary smart) and extremely hard working in my insane prep high school and still came out in the top 5%. I then went to a top UG where I came to learn that hard work is sometimes not the most effective way to keep good grades - you need to work smart as well. Use your institute's resources such as the tutor center, office hrs, TA study sessions, etc. Know these facts going in and you'll come out pretty well on the other side.

You have to understand the following 3 types of classes:

1. Doesn't matter how many office hours you attend, everything depends on your intelligence
2. Going to office hours actually really helps
3. Doesn't matter if you go to office hours or not, you are probably though going to be helped in office hours because you get the LOR

Premed is absolutely doable if you are smart and you know your capacity. If a kid who has done terrible in HS comes with the 4.0 mindset, it is wise that the student make the semester courseload easier at the beginning and catch up by taking summer classes (but of course some summer courses are not suited to be condensed so choose wisely the classes you take and with who you take them with), as opposed to rushing since they may not have AP credits to get ahead.
If you are smart, don't be overconfident with your potential. Look at professor rating and don't put yourself with a professor that is terrible just because you do great regardless...even if the class average is a 45 and there is a curve, there is no gaurantee you will get an A even if you think you are an above average student. Pick the professor that is straightforward. Some professors that are straightforward may still have averages around 45 so that can be deceiving.
Be proactive about seeking opportunities. Seek out fellowships that you can obtain early so that you can plan ahead and finish most of everything by end of junior year for app season to see.
Spend as much time in the library as you can but realize that once you find the key to succeeding in your classes, it is okay if you decide to reserve some tickets to an athletic game and see university life. This experience comes once in a lifetime but do not sacrifice your education for it, it should only be used to deflate from the stressors around you.
Do not waste time being neurotic. Ask people what they are doing, how they are doing it, but do not be that kid that constantly compares. Pick a major that is useful...not by and large theoretical and not applicable...should you fall in the gap year schemata.
When mapping out summer activities, if you take classes in the summer, try fitting in hospital volunteering and shadowing as small time commitments so that you won't stress about them later.
If you happen to find REU and other things enticing, prepare applications for it during winter break and ask your professors ahead of time so that you can apply to as many programs as possible.
Your career services also hosts a lot of summer programs/internships with possible employers. Just because you are a traditional applicant, don't pass those up. Go to them, meet with people, understand their interviewing process, and get the position if you like. It'll teach you about something unique.
Take the MCAT the august that is 1 year prior to your app cycle!
Thanks for all the advice! Is there a particular reason for taking the mcat during the summer of sophomore year? I would think that taking more classes in junior year would help prepare for the mcat. Also, what do you think about a history major with premed? Although I'm strong in the STEM areas, I also have a passion for history and will probably get the highest grades there. The only problem would be if I don't make medical school for one reason or another, where I will have a hard time finding jobs.

Work hard but also work SMART. You don't need to be a genius to leverage all of the resources that are available to you.

Ask your friends for help when you study. Go to study groups. Ask upper-classmen what the easy classes are. Talk to the premed advisors. This is another way of working hard and will help you immensely in the future.

Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration.

Eh I would say the friends/study group thing definitely varies from person to person. Literally any study group I ever attended ended up just being a bunch of people talking and accomplishing no studying. And for me, I discovered that I just need to be in a room by myself to study most effectively. Some people may do better having friends help or in study groups, but OP don't get discouraged if that doesn't work for you.

Your last line is extremely true, especially for med school itself.

Thanks for all the advice! Is there a particular reason for taking the mcat during the summer of sophomore year? I would think that taking more classes in junior year would help prepare for the mcat. Also, what do you think about a history major with premed? Although I'm strong in the STEM areas, I also have a passion for history and will probably get the highest grades there. The only problem would be if I don't make medical school for one reason or another, where I will have a hard time finding jobs.

the only thing about that is that if you are trying to be a traditional applicant, a lot of things can get in your way to prepare in time while studying for classes. Another method could be this: Take most of your classes like gen chem, bio, orgo, psychology, sociology, and perhaps physics (don't know if you took it in high school..that may actually be great) by end of sophmore year. Take mcat course/study on your own during sophomore summer. Keep practice steadily over Junior year as you take biochem your 1st semester and then take it in January after winter break. Oh yea and just incase, take a lighter courseload your 2nd semester junior year so that even if you decide to take mcat during that time right before applying, you should have plenty of opportunity to not get bogged down with school.

Do the history major. If that is your passion. If you seek out career fairs and things like that a little secret in getting a job is: obtain internships during the summer after junior year (which might most likely be the time when you are applying to medical school) and continue that internship as a co-op if you can. Then make good impression, and a job could come your way. Do not disclose that you want to go to medical school.

Sure work hard, but find study techniques to work smart so that you can efficiently perform at the same level you are now with less effort.

Pro-tip: If you understand the subject matter vs memorization/regurgitation, you're going to have a much easier time (there are exceptions).

There's a spectrum:
1) Brilliant intelligence + hard work; these are the few people that are impossible/very difficult to outdo
2) Above average intelligence/certain baseline intelligence + hard work; these are the vast majority of people and who comes out on top really depends on the extent to how hard you work
3) Brilliant intelligence + poor work ethic; these are the people who waste their gifts and usually do better than 4 but worse than 2 because they show no effort/drive
4) Below average intelligence + hard work; these are the unfortunate people that just can't get it no matter how hard they try

You are probably case 2 and so work your butt off and you should be fine. Having difficulty finding motivation? Look at the end goal and what it means to you. Make sure to take time for yourself to prevent burnout. Almost all med students are 2. Who cares or knows if you study 10 hours or 10 minutes for a test? The only thing that will be truly visible is your end result. However, it does help quite a bit extracurricular-wise to be able to study modest amounts. Experiment with different study habits and see what works best for you. For me, connecting new things that I learn (usually something memorisation heavy) to things that I've learned in the past really helps stuff stick. Also, try to take a step back and see if you can make things fun or easy in a goofy way. If you're learning about formal charge, instead of thinking about it like the number of bonding and lone pair electrons, it really becomes F.C. = #of balls + # sticks, with balls being electrons and sticks being each bond.

Lastly, don't compare yourself (unless for some reason it keeps you motivated/acts as a goal of sorts). Beginning in college and continuing for the rest of your life, you will meet people of all backgrounds and the field is never level. Some people come in without a single AP course while others come in with over a dozen. Of course the people who took APs will appear above average in the intro classes if they decide to not use their credit. Some people do years of research in high school; of course they will have a big head start with getting results simply because they are already accustomed to the lab and its protocols. Do the best that you can; the only person you have to beat is yourself. Friendly competition is good but just don't even think about it if you're the type of person that gets intimidated by others' accomplishments. Remember, there will always be someone better than you and someone better than the people that you think are the best.

Since people who spend more time on something are generally "better", if you start something now (maybe some hobby), then by the time to graduate you have 4 years of experience. I bet you that you can be good at that activity and maybe even the best at your school if you dedicate regular time to it. If you haven't heard of Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule, its an interesting concept to look into. I agree with it based on my own experiences and that of people I know.

Goodluck OP!