Medical Does having a PhD make me more competitive for oncology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a FL ORM currently applying to about 14 MD schools with a 3.9/512 hoping I get into at least one program. I developed a bit of an interest in oncology throughout undergrad and through personal experiences which is why I have been staying away from DO programs mostly because they are not really research focused and I would likely be limited to primary care. However, the thought of applying DO has not left me yet and I have actually started to think of DO/pHD programs, such as the 6/7 year cell and molecular biology DO/pHD program at PCOM. I have heard that these programs are not funded by the state so I'm assuming they are less competitive than MD/pHD programs, which I am not very competitive for. I also don't have an extraordinary research background (3 semesters in ecology lab, 1 summer at free clinic with minor case study pub, 1 semester in chem lab, 1 semester in public health lab), with probably a grand total of 400 ish research hours. The process of applying is that I have to first be admitted to the DO program to be further considered for the pHD program. A pHD would increase my research activity drastically and likely make me just as competitive if not more than regular MDs for oncology programs in the future. What do you guys think?
and I would likely be limited to primary care

No you wouldn't be.

I have heard that these programs are not funded by the state so I'm assuming they are less competitive than MD/pHD programs, which I am not very competitive for

I'm not too sure about PCOM in particular. Rowan has a DO/PhD program which is fully funded, though.

A pHD would increase my research activity drastically and likely make me just as competitive if not more than regular MDs for oncology programs in the future

Doing research will increase your research - whether through a PhD or not. Meaning you do not need to be in a PhD program to do research. You will also have 6 years between med school and residency before you'd be applying for fellowships without the PhD, which is plenty of time to do research.

Research also isn't the only aspect of an applicant, and in no way does research make up for other parts of the application if those parts are missing. Nor will not having 'so much' research break your application.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to be in a PhD program to do research. Most students doing research during medical school/residency and applying to residency/fellowships are not in PhD programs. By doing the PhD you are just adding extra years to your education (which is fine if you are super into research), but you can get to the same positions without the PhD.

Another quick point: you are absolutely NOT limited to primary care. I am a DO in ortho.

Status
Not open for further replies.