Does 'high pass' help at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

getunconcsious

Very tired PGY1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all just wondering about this for applications to residency. I have about half honors and half high pass from MS3 year. I'm just wondering if high passing rather than just passing the clerkships I didn't honor will help me at all on residency apps (Applying for Pathology if that matters). I've had people tell me that if you don't honor it doesn't count for anything and that high pass=pass. But a lot of schools have a grade step between pass and honors and it does require a lot more extra work and better shelf score to get HP's rather than P's so I'm hoping the rumours are not true!

Any insight is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I've had people tell me that if you don't honor it doesn't count for anything and that high pass=pass.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I guess that maybe, in the most competitive fields or for the most competitive programs, you'd need to get an Honors in the one clerkship you were interested in. For example, perhaps if you were interested in Integrated Plastics at BMS, it would be best if you got an honors in your plastics rotation.

Do not worry about this, especially in pathology which is not terribly competitive these days.

Thanks for the response! I'm hoping to honor my path rotations in july and august, I haven't had any yet. But here at UTH you have to take the 7 core specialties in third year with no electives, so those were what i was talking about. But I'm glad to know that PD's do notice the extra mile, even if it wasn't quite good enough to get honors.

It doesn't really matter though, right? Aren't you going to be working as hard as you can in July and August anyway? Your MS-III grades are what they are - just focus on doing well during your MS-IV rotations!